• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Parts on Trips

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Wondering what parts you guys have broken while on trips and had to call it a day going to the closest dealer to fix your sled!

Thanks guys

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Polaris' break a arms and engines, usually whole engines too. Rear rail twist on pros
Skidoos break chassis
Cats have to have a real good impact to break an a arm. They don't like tail landing, the rear suspension rails fold up
Yammis don't break

I plan to keep an inventory of all these things if other parts of my life didn't keep failing

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive never broke a seat..... Everything else is fair game!

Seriously though, if you do this long enough you will see it all. Some of the odd stuff that can end your day is a broken...
Throttle cable, Brake lever, steering post, handle bars, tie rod end, Bolts breaking, or falling out. Ive seen shock bolts fall out and cause the shock to stab the track, the screw come out of the Hy-fax and cause the hy-fax to wad up at the rear axle. Broken idler wheel on the rear axle and the track getting into the rail.

All of the common stuff is broken suspension or chassis parts, blown chain case or belt drive, blown engines (I once broke a rod in a yamaha triple at 9,000rpm!), failed clutches, countless electrical failures, Blown belts and the damage caused from them (ski-doos like to wrap all the cords around the crank).

After 28 years of this I've replaced an engine on the mountain (800 poo broken crank), replaced pistons on the mountain (800 doo), air lifted out wrecked sleds, hiked back in to get buried sleds out. And replaced countless other broken/failed parts in the back country or parking lot.

The joys of sledding :)

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ive never broke a seat..... Everything else is fair game!

Seriously though, if you do this long enough you will see it all. Some of the odd stuff that can end your day is a broken...
Throttle cable, Brake lever, steering post, handle bars, tie rod end, Bolts breaking, or falling out. Ive seen shock bolts fall out and cause the shock to stab the track, the screw come out of the Hy-fax and cause the hy-fax to wad up at the rear axle. Broken idler wheel on the rear axle and the track getting into the rail.

All of the common stuff is broken suspension or chassis parts, blown chain case or belt drive, blown engines (I once broke a rod in a yamaha triple at 9,000rpm!), failed clutches, countless electrical failures, Blown belts and the damage caused from them (ski-doos like to wrap all the cords around the crank).

After 28 years of this I've replaced an engine on the mountain (800 poo broken crank), replaced pistons on the mountain (800 doo), air lifted out wrecked sleds, hiked back in to get buried sleds out. And replaced countless other broken/failed parts in the back country or parking lot.

The joys of sledding :)

^I'm with him. Seen most of these things on various brands of sleds. Never had to airlift or fix a major issue in the woods. We've been lucky enough to be able to get them all pulled out one way or another and back to the truck. Only way to be safe on a big trip is bring a spare sled or two.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Buckled 2 tunnels now on axy's doing dumb things. One was bailing off a jump and sled flipped into a tree. the other was come up short, bail and sled tomohawked in spring snow. Otherwise mechanically I have had pretty good luck. 1 Upper a-arm, power valve cable, power valve itself and a whole lot of belts.

Riding new sleds has its perks as they just tend to be less likely to have dumb issues. Also I think the biggest gains are how easy they are to ride so I find myself crashing into things a lot less then sleds of old.

All my sleds get rails and or rail braces before they touch the snow and I have some elka shocks I keep moving forward to new sleds. This seems to help keep things from exploding too easily by not bottoming out off of every whoop i hit.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wondering what parts you guys have broken while on trips and had to call it a day going to the closest dealer to fix your sled!

Thanks guys

Pretty much every major part on a sled , suspension , chassis , motor , drive train etc. That's why there are BACK UP SLEDS.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There isn't too much you can't fix in a hotel or cabin parking lot. We've only had 2 that weren't fixable. One was a brand new Axys that hung the throttle open down a gulley into a pine and the other was an overheated XP that simply got replaced with an XM.

I've blown up a recoil, numerous rear suspension components (axles, anti stab wheels, shock crossbars) and a set of A arms and a ski shock. This was all in my Arctic Cat days.

I have bent a few rails on my Doos but they've never ended my day, or trip.

Premium Features