• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Summitt won't start

L
Dec 28, 2012
I have a 2008 Summitt. it has sat all summer with a fuel additive in it. Now the sled will not start, at all. The electric start does nothing. the battery has been tested good. has 12.2 volt on the bench. I have pulled several times and it doesn't even try. the gauges have swept all the way around and stayed pointing each other. The idiot lights light up while pulling. What is going on? It ran fine in June

L
Dec 28, 2012
Pulled the plugs, they're wet and smell like fuel. I don't thing there is any spark. at least looking in broad daylight while pulling the cord myself. Just seems odd that the battery won't crank it

N

NITROSKIDUDE

Dec 12, 2003
SPOKANE WA.
Check your relay behind the air box it may have gone bad, if you arnt getting a headlight with a pull that is usually a sign. not sure how that relay would affect you e start though.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
as far as your estart goes i'd check the ground first and makes sure its got a good clean connection. also check the positive connection. then check the solenoid exciter wire for power when you hit the button. if you have power then check and see how many volts you are getting at the starter when you push the starter button. maybe hook a charger up to the battery and try the starter then.

check your intake for any obstructions. premix a little fuel and put a half a straw full into each cylinder and then some fresh plugs. give it a couple of pulls, if it doesn't try to fire then you've pretty much narrowed it down to a spark problem. wires/coil connections would be the next place to look.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Leave a plug hooked to the wire, have a buddy yank the cord while you are grabbing the electrode. Best way to know if you have spark. ;)

If the plugs are wet and reek of fuel you are flooded

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
The only time I've ever had sleds not start is after using an additive. Put Stabil in four different sleds one year, not a single on would start. Never had that happen before. I put new plugs in all the sleds, poured a little gas in the cylinders and than they would run. Ran like crap as soon as they started to run on the gas coming out of the tanks again. Siphoned all the gas out and replaced w/ fresh gas and was good to go.

I may have gotten a bad batch. It was multiple bottles and I followed the guidelines for using. This may not be your problem, but that was the first and last time I will ever use a fuel stabilizer. I just go out and start them once in while and let them get hot enough, as far and the pipe and everything goes, to not create a condensation problem.

cabinman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Layton
check the red wire behind your chaincase to make sure it hasn't rubbed thru and is grounding out

Premium Features