• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Shocks 1.5 Zero Factory Series

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Anybody running the "basic" (i.e., no compression or rebound adjustment or reservoir) version of these Fox ski shocks? Looks like a viable option to KYB's that come on the X-model, but about $100 more. I have a '17 SP 154" and it's time to replace the shocks. I am pretty light, so the stockers have worked fine so far, but I'd get the Fox if there is a significant improvement in performance. If not, I'll probably just get some X-shocks from an aftermarket tuner or off of eBay.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Anybody running the "basic" (i.e., no compression or rebound adjustment or reservoir) version of these Fox ski shocks? Looks like a viable option to KYB's that come on the X-model, but about $100 more. I have a '17 SP 154" and it's time to replace the shocks. I am pretty light, so the stockers have worked fine so far, but I'd get the Fox if there is a significant improvement in performance. If not, I'll probably just get some X-shocks from an aftermarket tuner or off of eBay.

They actually aren't bad at all, especially if valved right in a mountain riding application.

Therein lies the issue though - if its not setup right for you, your weight, and your application, you'll be left with a very "one dimensional" shock that won't perform as it could.

I help out as a consultant for Tom (toms shocks/toms snowmobile)- so obviously I'd say "go get a set from him" as I do believe he's one of the best Fox tuners around, having been working with Fox since the early 2000s.

In any case, get them setup right, you'll probably dig them. Otherwise, save for something more adjustable. (but also get them valved right ;0 )

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
New shocks

I just bought a set of fox floats 2 they are originally for an old cat or Polaris pro?:juggle:. I will let you know how they work & how much is cost to get them to fit the 850 HAHA. If you are looking to go with new shocks and want springs get them valued & set up for your weight/riding style. Or go with air and play with them your self.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
They actually aren't bad at all, especially if valved right in a mountain riding application.

Therein lies the issue though - if its not setup right for you, your weight, and your application, you'll be left with a very "one dimensional" shock that won't perform as it could.

I help out as a consultant for Tom (toms shocks/toms snowmobile)- so obviously I'd say "go get a set from him" as I do believe he's one of the best Fox tuners around, having been working with Fox since the early 2000s.

In any case, get them setup right, you'll probably dig them. Otherwise, save for something more adjustable. (but also get them valved right ;0 )

I've run a lot of Tom's stuff in the past. Still have an XM w/ his Evols on the front and Emotion on the back. Greatly improved the XM, but the G4 seems plusher stock. Don't think it's the shocks though, it's the evolution of the suspension design.

Does Tom really revalve the basic version of the Fox coil over? Seems like that would be standardized at the factory, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that Tom helps them with that calibration.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I just bought a set of fox floats 2 they are originally for an old cat or Polaris pro?:juggle:. I will let you know how they work & how much is cost to get them to fit the 850 HAHA. If you are looking to go with new shocks and want springs get them valued & set up for your weight/riding style. Or go with air and play with them your self.

I have an XM w/ Evols front and back. They work well, but I would not describe them as super plush. Adjustability, weight loss and the ability to run a super soft main, to initiate roll, and high Evol pressure to prevent bottoming and provide a progressive spring are the main advantages of that setup IMO.

The G4 has a very plush ride out of the box. I'm pretty happy w/ the stock feel. Just looking for an economical way to replace my clapped out SP stock shocks. Dealer wants $800 for X model KYBs. Fox 1.5 Zero Basics are about $600. I've had good experiences w/ Fox on my sled and mtb in the past, so I'm thinking of trying them out. Will report back w/ my impressions.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I've run a lot of Tom's stuff in the past. Still have an XM w/ his Evols on the front and Emotion on the back. Greatly improved the XM, but the G4 seems plusher stock. Don't think it's the shocks though, it's the evolution of the suspension design.

Does Tom really revalve the basic version of the Fox coil over? Seems like that would be standardized at the factory, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that Tom helps them with that calibration.

Few things...

1) "Plush" isn't really a great indication of how well your suspension is working. Put another way, go ride in an Cadillac, then go ride in a track tuned GT3. Which is plusher? Which is designed for performance?

I get that we aren't building snow cross race sleds and a bit of forgiveness is a desired thing in a mountain sled, but to buy suspension for how plush it is alone is to really miss the point (not saying this is what you are implying, but it is worth mentioning)

2) Where I found the Ski-Doo stuff to lack was two areas. First, when I'd really get after it the suspension up front and out back was under-sprung, under-damped, and left me looking for more control. If I was lighter or less aggressive maybe I'd be fine with it...Second, it quickly degrades. Not a lot of oil volume, not a high quality oil means you lose performance pretty fast. I've had a lot of buddies need a rebuild with only 400 miles.

Personally I want some support. I want the sled to be a bit harsh at slower speeds and maybe take a bit more effort to ride. In the end this translates to a more predictable and better riding sled when it gets crazy. When I REALLY need my suspension and sled to be there for me. No free lunch in setup really. (though air shocks allow you to completely change your setup if you are so inclined)

Tom does revalve for intended use, style, geared up rider weight. Every now and then these things align where an off the shelf Fox damper is perfectly suited to the rider.

Premium Features