• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What will it take before you change brands

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You are ten times better off running into a random guy on the mountain for an opinion than asking it on this forum.

I swear most people on this forum have a hidden agenda so I just use it more as entertainment than a deciding factor on what to buy.
How freaking Sad.
In the 10 years I have been on this forum that has SOO not been my experience at all.

I have found OUTSTANDING comments and opinions from other riders here on SnoWest that have had major impacts on the products that I bought and used and reviewed myself.

I am truly sorry your experience has been such a polar opposite and led you having become so Jaded..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree, I made a mess of things and took it too far. Gotta stop beerposting. Christopher, feel free to clean it up if you wish, sorry about that.
Nahh
This is a GOOD conversation on a serious subject.

What makes SnoWest WORK is the vast diversity of experience and opinion that gathers here.

And I find it very interesting how each of us sees the very same "content" here but interprets it SO DIFFERENTLY..

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Nahh
This is a GOOD conversation on a serious subject.

What makes SnoWest WORK is the vast diversity of experience and opinion that gathers here.

And I find it very interesting how each of us sees the very same "content" here but interprets it SO DIFFERENTLY..
Being able to sift and learn from snowest and also how to be able to spot/digest bias is definately something that takes some time and really changes what you see on a forum that is for sure.

M
Jan 26, 2013
I finally got to ride a 18 Axys and couldn't get the hang of it. Not saying it's a bad sled I just couldn't find a grove. So loving my 850 as much as I do can't see me switching, unless cat is real world 170hp. And sub 400lbs.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I love yellow
Was a doo guy till 2006, Bought a rev and totalled it.
Only sled i have totalled in 26yrs.
Ill handling and Weak chassis and less than stellar engine pushed me to Cat.
Been happy ever since 2009 M8.

Alpha Cat......

SwedenPro

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2013
Sweden
My first brand biased argument was with my childhood buddy about ski-doo vs. Yamaha, this was probably more then 35 years ago, I decided then that I never ever was going to buy a ski-doo, and I haven't yet. But after many years of quite happy Yamaha ownership, just broken up with an not so happy Arctic for a few years, the snowmobile industry changed, and I bought the future, a 4-stroke snowmobile, and I was quite happy, but there was to many minor niggles that always needed some attention, track frose to the tunnel, heavy steering, but i settled with, and then my life situation changed, I was able ride more, in more snow then before, so I started to look around for something else, I ended up getting an very easy trade-in deal from a Polaris dealer, the ski-doo dealers wouldn't touch or, give me so little/create more hassle. Jumping on the Polaris, from what all most everybody said was best quality sled, to what many said was the worst. But after 4 years on my stock -14 RMK 800, I've had less hassles on twice the mileage as with the Yamaha, this winter I was about to let all my principles go, and buy an Summit 850 or a Lynx 850, but the laminated frame, and the belt problems made me very unsure, I have seen a few that rides in the area where I do that has gotten rock thru the tunnel and that thin gauge alu isn't holding up very well with coolant leaks as the result. The 850 is a great sled, the new m8000 is nice too, but I ended up with a new pro-rmk. So maybe BRP the next time.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Everyone who is bragging the new cats up, make sure you do your research. It seems they aren’t so bulletproof. They are starting to have primary clutches blow up at 800-1200 miles. When I say blowup, like 4” pieces of clutch going through the panels.

My point in this is, all of them have problems. The 850 is no different. All brands have Monday sleds and Wednesday sleds. I’ve been lucky to get only Wednesday sleds from skidoo. Once the clutching was fixed, my 850 was the best sled I’ve ever owned.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Everyone who is bragging the new cats up, make sure you do your research. It seems they aren’t so bulletproof. They are starting to have primary clutches blow up at 800-1200 miles. When I say blowup, like 4” pieces of clutch going through the panels.

My point in this is, all of them have problems. The 850 is no different. All brands have Monday sleds and Wednesday sleds. I’ve been lucky to get only Wednesday sleds from skidoo. Once the clutching was fixed, my 850 was the best sled I’ve ever owned.
100%... For all the naysayers if you are not happy then move on, so we can watch you complain on the poo or cat forums next year

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I'm hoping someday if I keeping watching all these schooled videos that I'll ride good and hard enough to blow a belt... :face-icon-small-con

You are like 115lbs and ride like a school girl so maybe some day. Me on the other hand I cant keep a belt on these piles to save my life. 2017 850 got about 100 miles a belt . My 2018 175 I just destroyed my first one beginning of 4th ride. I'm fine with 500 miles on a belt the way I like to ride. I just dont understand how doo finally gets it figured out 2013ish-2016 with the clutching then totally craps the bed with 2017 and 2018

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You are like 115lbs and ride like a school girl so maybe some day. Me on the other hand I cant keep a belt on these piles to save my life. 2017 850 got about 100 miles a belt . My 2018 175 I just destroyed my first one beginning of 4th ride. I'm fine with 500 miles on a belt the way I like to ride. I just dont understand how doo finally gets it figured out 2013ish-2016 with the clutching then totally craps the bed with 2017 and 2018

A school girl that was breaking trail for your *** all day :face-icon-small-win

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
A school girl that was breaking trail for your *** all day :face-icon-small-win

Now that's funny!

Hey Christopher - to be helpful, could someone post a survey for G4 owners regarding this belt blowing issue? Structured something like have you blown a belt in 500 mile increments? 2017vs2018? I see there are obviously issues with some, but it's hard to reach any conclusions on how bad it really is. Having gone through Arctic cat belt and clutch nightmares, I'm hesitant to do that again. I have spent some time on a G4 and it is an amazing sled and wouldn't mind owning one. However, having blown belts on very steep climbs in the past, I'm very aware it isn't just a $$ issue.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Hey Christopher - to be helpful, could someone post a survey for G4 owners regarding this belt blowing issue?

Last 2 days I rode some long steep climbs, longest steepest deepest stuff I've ever ridden, I'm at 700+ miles on my original belt. How deep was it? So deep that while descending the snow was over my head (could not see) %90 of the time...

I/we do stop to let clutches/sleds cool when we've been working the sleds hard.

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
It is interesting to hear how some sleds are better than others on belts or bulkheads. I ride with a few guys with 17s that have issues with one problem or the other. One guy has a new belt on his sled ever 250 miles. Another guy has had to replace the bulkhead twice now from impacts at less than 10 mph. Both sleds have been serviced at Toms snowmobile in Sierra City

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Was a ski doo hardcore since 1986,bailed in 2013 ,was tired of poor handling and engine issues.

Premium Features