• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grippers on 850

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
What ski rubbers are needed to install grippers on my 850. I tried to search, but couldn’t find any definitive answers. What’s everyone found that works the best??

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I used the rubbers that came with the sled. I used my multi tool to cut the back ribs out of the ski, where the rubber sits. I added the Woods wear bars, and took off the carbides.

Ace

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
I had to grind a little of the plastic on the skis to get skidoo rubbers to make flat contact. I also had to grind the back of the ski mount where the spindle makes contact with the ski. I also put a aluminum flat plate piece to raise the rubbers so they were in contact with the spindle. These were 15 Grippers, Axys grippers MAY be different I don’t know. I got some 18 grippers coming so I will find out.

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
Update just to make sure I’m being accurate. I got my 18 Axys ski’s today and installed them on my 18 850. All I had to do was grind the ski plastic so the T part of the Doo rubbers allowed for flat contact. The 15 ski’s I had to add 1/8” aluminum spacers so the spindle made contact. So the 15 old grippers were either different or the bottom of the ski saddle where the pro rubbers were worn down. I was surprised at the difference.

The Gripper ski’s were a significant improvement in handling in my opinion. It took away all the twitchy darting feeling I didn’t like with the stock ski’s for me.
Well worth doing in my opinion.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Update just to make sure I’m being accurate. I got my 18 Axys ski’s today and installed them on my 18 850. All I had to do was grind the ski plastic so the T part of the Doo rubbers allowed for flat contact. The 15 ski’s I had to add 1/8” aluminum spacers so the spindle made contact. So the 15 old grippers were either different or the bottom of the ski saddle where the pro rubbers were worn down. I was surprised at the difference.

The Gripper ski’s were a significant improvement in handling in my opinion. It took away all the twitchy darting feeling I didn’t like with the stock ski’s for me.
Well worth doing in my opinion.

Twitchy and darty on trail or off? Or both?

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I like the Grippers as well. I noticed a little twitch, but not too bad. The biggest "Twitch" is the T motion...and its getting deleted as soon as a package arrives from Utah!

Ace

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Grippers, Tmotion delete and Big Johns clutching are some of the best things you can do to a G4.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
How do these improve deep snow / technical mountain riding ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious too. While I definitely have trail time it is only to get to the good stuff. I also don't notice darting while I'm pummeled by whoops.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Grippers take away the twitchy diving feeling while on edge. I find the stock skis "steer" to easy while on edge and I find my self sawing back and forth trying to find the sweet spot. Grippers feel way more predictable to me.

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Grippers take away the twitchy diving feeling while on edge. I find the stock skis "steer" to easy while on edge and I find my self sawing back and forth trying to find the sweet spot. Grippers feel way more predictable to me.

Hmmm. Never had a issue like that with the stock skis.

Also don’t have any issues with the tmotion. But gonna try the lock out washers and see .... cheap enough to try anyway.

Grippers on the other hand .... not sure if worth the $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features