• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Received a FREE Polaris XLT

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
White hood, engine reads Xtra Lite Triple on it.

Friend of the family said it used to run.

Pulled the carbs, needed cleaned.
105-110 psi compression.

What else should i check on this sled?

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
A lot depends on how long it sat and how well it was cared for previously. Make sure everything is rolling free and greased. Pull the clutches and make sure again everything is clean and free moving. New clutch springs would be a good idea. Clean the gas tank. Look around the net and I'm sure you can find any and all specs. for that sled.
New belt. Make damn sure steering and braking works well.
Just what I can think of off the top of my head and I'm damn sure missing a lot of things.
Good luck and have fun.

Nooby

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Double check the drive shaft bearing behind the speedo pickup.
Check the bogey wheel bearings
Check the hyfax wear limit
Check the wear bars on the skis
Check the chaincase, loosen the jamb nut on the chain adjuster and tighten it in to see how much slack was in it when parked. Drain, pull cover, clean and inspect, adjust tension if good, recover and refill
Check wiring at handlebars
Check safety wiring in throttle block
Check integrity of starter rope, check stater pawl and grease
Check water pump belt

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
XLTs are cool, but sometimes free sleds (and boats) are the most expensive. Keep your expectations realistic, and don't get sucked into the "it's just a couple hundred" thing. You will be thousands in before you realize it's time to quit. Check the things VB said above, and the run it like it was free!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if the hoods stock its probably an early xcr. good ol piston port motors. synch up those slides best you can from the cable adjustment at the top of the carbs. first make sure their all starting at the same point via the idle screw adjustment, using a drill bit that barely squeezes under them.
also make sure it has some modern skis and handle bars so its actually rideable.

Premium Features