• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 Skidoo 1000 Fouling plugs

B
Nov 8, 2013
I have a 2005 skidoo 1000 SDI. It has ran like a champ up until this season. Put new plugs in and 35 miles later both plugs are fouled. Running BR9ecs-5 nkg plugs. I thought my idle was a little low so I turned the throttle up to about 1500 rpms. Seems to be running a little better but still not 100%. I run Klotz full synthetic for oil. Just curious to see if anybody has any ideas. I am thinking possibly reed valves? Or possibly stale fuel? Each season I also run a little Lucas tune up in a Bottle through the fuel to give everything a good clean.

Last edited:

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Your running the wrong plugs... need to be using BR8ecs. The nines are too cold and if your running the -5's the gap is too narrow. If you've attempted to change the idle you've also altered the TPS setting. A good running RT1K should idle around 1800- 2000 RPM. Could also test CTS sensor, they're known to go bad and will keep the engine in warm up mode allowing it to run rich....

RT redo IV 002.jpg

B
Nov 8, 2013
Ill try the BR8ecs and see if it make a difference. IT was my understanding that with the update on the sleds computer that the BR9ecs-5 was the "New and Improved" plug to use. Any thoughts there? Also I was out yesterday on it and fouled another set at close to 40 miles. It looks like they were dipped in used motor oil when I pull them out of the cylinder head. May be a stuck oil pump?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
The BR9ecs was the original plug was changed to the 8's when the updates were done. Check the oil cable at the pump where the wire comes out of the sheave, they tend to fray there and could be hanging up the pump arm

B
Nov 8, 2013
I am going to throw some BR8ecs plugs in tonight and give it a try. My battery was new last season. It died during the summer but it seems to be holing a charge now. What else would I look for with the battery?

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I bet your battery is toast , these sleds are super picky when it comes to battery voltage. I ended up just throwing a new one in mine at the start of every season just to avoid the hassle.

On a non E-start sled , hit the RER button and you should hear you pumps cycle , then using a Volt/ohm meter check the voltage of the battery. Should be 12.4 or higher if I recall. Problem is the sleds will start and run down to 6-7 volts but the sled can have issues ... everything on these sleds runs off that battery.

You could also need to clean the E-raves. Low pressure fuel pump issues are also common ( it's mounted under the motor ) and there is a better pump out there too , it's a chevy lift pump.

The 05's ran pig rich stock , there is a better map for your ECM it's the 07 middle elevation map ( Best for all elevations ). They also had issues with Over cooling ... adding a thermostat from an XP solves this.

Last edited:
B
Nov 8, 2013
Swapped out the plugs and it seems to run better. Now just waiting form some snow to give them some miles to see if they make the difference. Checked the reed valves. They were full of belt dust but otherwise in good shape. E-Raves were very oily but everything slid and opened like it should. While the sled was running battery was pulling 14.2 Volts. So my fingers are crossed. If this dont fix it i guess off to the dealership we go.

B
Nov 8, 2013
Put 60 miles on the sled this last weekend in good deep powder. Sled has A TON more power and did not foul a single plug. Plugs are both copper colored instead of black and oily. Seem to be an easy fix. Thanks guys for the help!

Premium Features