• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 turbo apex exhuast question

R
Nov 26, 2007
New to turbo 4 strokes and recently got 06 apex with mcx rear mount turbo,only riden couple of times and gaskets were exhuast conect under tunnel in the middle blew out.My question is are the stock gasket clamp set up good enough or is there a better aftermarket option?Don't really want to be changing these all the time,any help would be great.By the way love the sled,never knew what I've been missing.Oh ya only 800 miles on sled.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I don't know of any but there might be. I had to change a few out on my wife's Apex once, kind of a pain. I was told to make sure when you change them to make sure that the two Y-Pipes are pushed up tight so the exhaust doesn't blow out around the gaskets and ware them down. Watch your y-pipes for cracks too.
The group I ride with have 3 McXpress systems and we've all had to replace the Y-pipe titanium ones at least once due to cracks. We have an adapter that we can hook up to either the intake or the exhaust and connect to an air compressor to check for leaks. Make sure you don't turn up the air very much and get some soapy water to check for leaks.

Good luck...

Last edited:

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Check with Yamaha for new clamps. The 2006's had a very plain band-style clamp that did nothing to retain those fibrous looking seals.

I got new ones this year from Yamaha that now have small tabs which keep the seals from being pushed out towards the engine. They now have separate left and right hand part numbers, and don't forget to order 2 bolts, they are now listed separately.

good luck, I went through this fix this summer, seems to be holding up good now!

I would have put in the 0.80" thick, stainless Alpine 2-into-1's if it was in my budget this year....

Cheers,
PB

R
Nov 26, 2007
Titanium pipes still look good,for now,but when they do go will go with stainless for sure.Already talked to Alpine and there priced quite reasonable.

Premium Features