• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No 700??????????????????

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
I am going to order one of the 800s but am just wondering why polaris ditched the prove time and time again 700? Is there going to be one or did they bury the 700?

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
Looks like the 700 is gone. Too bad, mine has been pull the rope and go.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Not a surprise. Polaris planned on having a 2010 model linup w/o the 700 last year. There was enough dealer pressure and apparently enough parts to make it happen last minute. I would guess it doesn't make sense to have another motor on the assembly line when huge sales are expected from the 800. Polaris can't really make a substantial cost savings from the 800 to the 700 so why do it? Hopefully they concentrated on making the 800 reliable enough that they don't have to worry about a 700.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
One Acronym...

EPA

The new engines are all evolved in the injection department...the 700's don't represent enough of the market share to justify the R&D..

Bummer I know.. the 700 was a great motor!! The best CFi IMO.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm working on it..

Same basic motor... different control system.. different porting... Same Head I'm told from reliable sources.

Bore stroke is still 85mm x 70mm on the same bore centers. Different part numbers on allmost everything though... The mono block is different as well.

MTNMAN800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Denver Colorado
Ya, the 700 has been a great motor. I have done nothing to mine other than gas and oil. I do understand the EPA / R&D piece of the equation though. I just pray that they got rid of whatever have been huanting some of the 800's.

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
I'm working on it..

Same basic motor... different control system.. different porting... Same Head I'm told from reliable sources.

Bore stroke is still 85mm x 70mm on the same bore centers. Different part numbers on allmost everything though... The mono block is different as well.
I have heard similar...almost everything new. Someone said something about Bosch doing the injection? Any truth to this? Polaris hired an engine guru/consultant type who helped develop the "new" engine. They have been very tight lipped about it all officially. After $40million spent in repairs and warranty work on the current 800, one can imagine (or desperately hope) they have done their homework and are putting a product out that we can start to trust in again...up hill battle for them for sure!

I will let you know when I get more "concrete" info on this new engine...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have heard similar...almost everything new. Someone said something about Bosch doing the injection? Any truth to this? Polaris hired an engine guru/consultant type who helped develop the "new" engine. They have been very tight lipped about it all officially. After $40million spent in repairs and warranty work on the current 800, one can imagine (or desperately hope) they have done their homework and are putting a product out that we can start to trust in again...up hill battle for them for sure!

I will let you know when I get more "concrete" info on this new engine...

super, the original fuel system was bosch,the new one is too from what I was told..just done much better then before..been doing car/truck fuel injection since they first came out...bosch has always been the worst out there for quality and performance..so hopefully this new system is much better....

Premium Features