• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled idles better with gas shut off

S
Feb 21, 2019
Just picked up a 01 550 sport touring. Sled starts up first or second pull but doesn't want to idle on its own. If I shut the gas off to the sled and start it again it ideas pretty much perfect. What is going on here? Pulled apart the carbs and completely cleaned them and blew everything out with air. Still same deal. Any help would be great

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The two things that occur to me are bad needle and seat, causing it to load up with fuel, or a bad fuel pump causing it to suck fuel through the impulse line while it's running. I'd start by opening the crankcase drain plugs (look on the bottom front of the block, underneath the Y-pipe). You'll probably get a little oil out of them, but if you see more than a small dribble of gas, it's probably the fuel pump.

To check the needle and seat, per the FSM, you have to take the carb off and invert it, then apply 5 PSI to the fuel inlet. It should hold that for at least a minute. To be honest, I've never checked them that way. I've replaced a couple sets mostly for peace of mind, but you'd either need to rig up something with a compressor line or buy a hand pump. Dealer's choice on that, the needle and seat are about $15 each.

Premium Features