• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track tension Avid drivers

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Very good point, temp can shrink track up a fair bit I bet, adding to tension on the hill..

Had stock track on the 175 ratchet this last week for first time, I had not tightened it once since pdi and now over 400 miles on it.. Turned three full turns and no more problems..just feels so dam tight compared to other sleds..

Moutainhorse, what temperature is the MFG. recommending to check the slack/w. weight? If I was in a garage (man cave)
with the furnace running and about 68 deg., would I be setting it with factory slack? If I was in 46 deg. weather would it be the same? How about on the mtn. in 15 deg.? I bet the track will contract with temp way more than the skid will shrink in proportion to temp? Maybe some are setting in the wrong temp, and are beyond banjo tight? I bet a 165 to 175" track at least stretches 1" min. at 68 deg.? Mike

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Had stock track on the 175 ratchet this last week for first time, I had not tightened it once since pdi and now over 400 miles on it.. Turned three full turns and no more problems.

I was getting a bit of ratcheting as well, and it took 3 full turns on the tensioner bolts to get it into spec. I have the stock drivers.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Good to know, I just went three turns each on the hill, nev r looked at it since, but will tonight in warm shop, let you know how much daypg there is with twenty lbs on it

I was getting a bit of ratcheting as well, and it took 3 full turns on the tensioner bolts to get it into spec. I have the stock drivers.

Premium Features