• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a 2008 summit everest 800 p-tek a good snowmobile?

E

et3046

Dec 24, 2012
Lake Preston, SD
I'm new to ski doo and I'm looking at an 08 800 p-tek for my brother. Just wondering if these sleds are good or bad. If they have problems can you tell me what they are? I'v read about bad clutching on them. How many miles can you roughly get out of them(I know it all depends on the maintenance). I'm just kind of skeptical about them because they are the first of the XPs and I don't want him to buy a sled we're always going to have problems with.

Thanks guys!

A
Dec 19, 2011
08 is a great sled, All sleds no matter the brand or year will have issues.

2008 worth while mods:

clutch kit (joey or roosterbuilt)
shock relocate (drill front lower shock mount 1inch forward)
bandit scissor relocates
if you can, doo dr floating qrs, belts will last years stead of weeks

for the right price i would buy an 08

A
Dec 19, 2011
08-09

the front coil over shock has is to short of a stroke, on to steep of an angle. On 2010 they fixxed this with a longer shock. Some companies even sell an update kit. But on the 08-09 even with the limiter on the loosest setting the shock runs out of travel before it pushes the skid far enough away toget the weight distributed how it should be

A free and easy way to fix the 08-09 skids. Drill the bottom front shocks mounting hole 1 1/4 inch forward. Some guy on dootalk i think it was figured this out years ago. He took the springs out of the skid and bottomed it out, He realized the front shock wasnt using it full stroke. So he did the leg work and knows if you move it forward 1.25 inches it makes the front shock on a stiffer angle and effectively longer and finally uses its full stroke. Better sidehilling, less ski pressure, easy to ride and it goes a long way to eliminating the sag problems on the 08-09s

L
May 15, 2009
08-09

the front coil over shock has is to short of a stroke, on to steep of an angle. On 2010 they fixxed this with a longer shock. Some companies even sell an update kit. But on the 08-09 even with the limiter on the loosest setting the shock runs out of travel before it pushes the skid far enough away toget the weight distributed how it should be

A free and easy way to fix the 08-09 skids. Drill the bottom front shocks mounting hole 1 1/4 inch forward. Some guy on dootalk i think it was figured this out years ago. He took the springs out of the skid and bottomed it out, He realized the front shock wasnt using it full stroke. So he did the leg work and knows if you move it forward 1.25 inches it makes the front shock on a stiffer angle and effectively longer and finally uses its full stroke. Better sidehilling, less ski pressure, easy to ride and it goes a long way to eliminating the sag problems on the 08-09s

By moving the shock mount forward doesn't this increase the track angle?

Premium Features