• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 ext 580 efi Q's

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
When I 1st start the sled it runs great tell its warmed up then it is hard to start. Could the fuel pump be getting weak Or? Not sure what's going on. When it is cold it takes two pulls and it runs great. When it is warmed up it Takes 50 pulls to get running again then runs like crap. I'm lost never had a battery efi before. I have a new battery fresh fuel and new plugs. help me out here...

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

R
Dec 31, 2010
Sounds like fuel pump to me. They loose pressure when they warm up. Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge. It should hold like 35 to 38 psi. See if it drops as it warms up. I replaced the pump on my 580 efi pantera in December. Hope this helps

R
Dec 31, 2010
It should not bleed down, it may over time but it should hold for a while. I left the gauge on mine after the pump change for the test drive and it held pressure until I removed it hours later.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
sweet thanks I'm going to give it a try. I tried everything air temp sensor throttle position sensor Auto centers. fuel pump runs for about 10 to 15 seconds when I turn the key on I'm wondering if that is way too long to build the pressure it needs I'm thinking it's bleeding off

R
Dec 31, 2010
We were all told to drain the gas out of the tank in the off season, well this allows the O-rings in the pump to dry out over time, then on the initial start of the season they run dry for a brief moment which causes wear. So now they say top-off the tank, air is the bad guy, it causes the fuel to deteriorate.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
exactly I always feel them up to the top and put in stabile fuel treatment

R
Dec 31, 2010
We were all told to drain the gas out of the tank in the off season, unfortunately this allows the pump to drain and the o-rings to dry out, then on the initial start they wear. Now they say top-off the tank, air is the enemy, speeds up the deterioration process.

R
Dec 31, 2010
When mine got real bad i would have to cycle the key 3 times to build up enough pressure to start. The first cycle only made about 15 psi

R
Dec 31, 2010
After a lot of research I found they so t make an after market pump and the one from arctic cat is pricey. I paid $250.00 and did the job in the trailer, wasn't that hard. Good luck, hope it works.

Premium Features