• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the latest with the proposed closing of the Hell Roaring Canyon?

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Thanks CleElum, since the period of public comment closed so long ago (Oct 2005) I had not kept up with the current news.

T
Nov 27, 2007
The BDNF released its final draft on Feb 4, 2008. There is a 45 day comment period on the final draft. The press release can be viewed here http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/b-d/news/2008-02-04-forest-plan-revisionFEIS.htm. Please comment on this new revision! Yes, Mt. Jefferson has been saved but came with a HUGE loss of riding acres in the rest of the forest. Personally, I think it was such a large loss that we should have let Jefferson go. You don't gain any additional terrain with Jefferson, we just lost more everywhere else. We traded the entire northern half of the Tobacco Roots for a few measley acres on Jefferson. I know Jefferson is important to the local small economies of West and I.P., but those of us who live much closer to the main body of the BDNF rather than the extreme southern end now have to pay the price in terms of riding acres lost as well as the economic loss that comes along with any reduction in riding areas.

Last edited:
Premium Features