• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning Help Please

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Sounds good!!! I am looking at all the possibilities. Sorry to sound like a retard, but 4 stroke sleds are very new to me.

I have the Gen 1 BD box. it is not the ADA, and I will keep it that way. I have it in the shop and will check over all the joints to look for possible leaks. I am also going to put some pistons in it 10:1 and remove the head shim. I will also put a bigger turbo.

But, before I do all this, I am going to get her dialed in as it is, and familiarize myself with all the components associated with the sled and Turbo.

BTW, What track speed should I be getting with this set up? What is the Target?

With a 2860 on 14lbs with a 162 and a head shim I was getting a fairly consistent 88mph track speed. That was with a Maverick, so it would be slightly less with an extreme.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
alot of people are running the blue/white/blue yammi primary spring along with supertips, arctic cat green snopro secondary spring along with the shockwave helix.

proven combo for probably 95% of the turbo yammis out there!

Matt, pull the snopro green. :face-icon-small-win

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Here is what I would do steps wise

1 - Build a boost leak tester and test. Check the IC/Throttle body hoses as they are notorious for coming off on the BD kit. May want to add some bracing to the IC so it doesn't push up as you up the boost. Make sure the header is tight and not warped at the flanges. Also the flex pt as others have mentioned
2 - Check the AFR and RPMs. If the APEX isn't hitting 10.6 there is a really big diff

The track change will be big. The Maverick is total junk on boost. If you go right to the 174X3 you will need a bigger charger

Get this right and then upgrade to a 2860 or 71. Lots of people liked the 60 better on the Apex for some reason

I would not upgrade the pistons without doing rods and if you do rods do the bearings. With the shim the responsiveness of the 2860 is not bad at all and you will be fine running 17 or 18 at your altitude. I would get there first before the motor build. IMO the BD kit is a little too inefficient at high boost to make the motor build really worth it. I think once you get to really high boost you will be pushing a lot of oil and making a lot of hot air due to the IC. Just my opinion. If you get it running right at 14-18lbs it will destroy any great running M7. I have owned 2 turbo M7s

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Here is what I would do steps wise

1 - Build a boost leak tester and test. Check the IC/Throttle body hoses as they are notorious for coming off on the BD kit. May want to add some bracing to the IC so it doesn't push up as you up the boost. Make sure the header is tight and not warped at the flanges. Also the flex pt as others have mentioned
2 - Check the AFR and RPMs. If the APEX isn't hitting 10.6 there is a really big diff

The track change will be big. The Maverick is total junk on boost. If you go right to the 174X3 you will need a bigger charger

Get this right and then upgrade to a 2860 or 71. Lots of people liked the 60 better on the Apex for some reason

I would not upgrade the pistons without doing rods and if you do rods do the bearings. With the shim the responsiveness of the 2860 is not bad at all and you will be fine running 17 or 18 at your altitude. I would get there first before the motor build. IMO the BD kit is a little too inefficient at high boost to make the motor build really worth it. I think once you get to really high boost you will be pushing a lot of oil and making a lot of hot air due to the IC. Just my opinion. If you get it running right at 14-18lbs it will destroy any great running M7. I have owned 2 turbo M7s

Good stuff right there!
Andrew, how was yours blowing the boots? Was it lifting the Intercooler? Kasey that bought your kit had the boots between the throttle bodies and head blow off. Did you have the intercooler mounted solid?

Premium Features