• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where's the best place to send an Apex head for a rebuild?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've got an 06 Apex with a BD 2860 kit running 17lbs of boost that I've been chasing a creeping idle problem on for the past year. Although the idle has been creeping on it I've still put on about 1200 miles and it seems to be getting worse. I've come to the conclusion that I've got a burnt valve or valves due to a backfire I had happen just before this idle problem raised it's ugly head. There are no vacuum leaks and I'm going to do a leak down test on it before I pull the head to find which valves have failed, but wanted to find out what your guys' opinion is on getting the head rebuilt in the states. I've been told Hitech out of Billings does a great job, anybody with experience there?

The motor has carillo rods and je pistons so it is capable of high boost, although I don't expect to run much more than 18 lbs on it are there any upgrades for the head I should do while apart? What springs and retainers is everyone running?

Thanks boys...

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Just for kicks price out a new one from south seatle sports plaza. That place is CHEAP! Ill bet its close to the cost of getting yours reworked.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Give Michelle at Oregon Tail Sports a shot too... she'll work you a price on a new one but I know she also works pretty close with Brad Story and he's rebuilt a lot of Apex motors. I would trust his opinion on what to do.

Premium Features