• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XLT track extension

B
Oct 14, 2009
chicagoland/yoop
Got a 95 XLT 600 that has a 121" track. I was going to put a 144" from tracks usa on it. I believe kit #13 on their site is the one but I'll be calling first. Anyone done this? Is the 90hp motor strong enough to push this around and up hills with this much bigger of a track? Maybe it'll need new gearing? Also, are the track kits complete and require no moving/modding of the skid? This will be the first project on this sled since replacing "the" piston that likes to burn up...:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I've got one of them same sleds for the kids. It has a 141" track on it and it handles it just fine with stock gearing. By going to the smaller drivers that you'll need for the deeper track, that lowers the gear ratio enough to get still get you some decent track speed, but if you find you need a little more at take off, just drop the top gear a size.

I've got a DG can and that's it for mods to this one, motor has never been opened up and it's probably got 5k miles or better. Most reliable sled we've ever had, always a start and go machine.

If I had it to do over again.... I'd do a D&R and stick with the stock 9 tooth drivers so the track could be run a little loose rather than banjo tight on the smaller drivers which makes it harder to turn anyway.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Just got done doing a XLT project as well. We went from a 121 to a 144 as well, but we opted to put a new skid in, so we found a 02 EDGE RMK 144" skid and dropped that in...

then we changed drivers to 8 tooth and am running a 2" finger track. with changing the drivers it seems to be very responsive for the motor to turn that much track. Dont think we will need to change the gearing.

was a very straight forward mod to do. if you have any questions feel free to ask, everything is very fresh in my mind yet....

Good luck

CK

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I would definitely opt for upgrading to a long suspension (Xtra Lite or Edge) over extending a shorter skid. It'll perform better than an extended skid, and you can sell your old skid. I just finished putting two RMK 144 skids in two XLT's. Considering the work that involved changing to a longer track, moving the mounting locations isn't that much extra work.

Just got done doing a XLT project as well. We went from a 121 to a 144 as well, but we opted to put a new skid in, so we found a 02 EDGE RMK 144" skid and dropped that in...

then we changed drivers to 8 tooth and am running a 2" finger track. with changing the drivers it seems to be very responsive for the motor to turn that much track. Dont think we will need to change the gearing.

was a very straight forward mod to do. if you have any questions feel free to ask, everything is very fresh in my mind yet....

Good luck

CK

What sprockets are you running? I wasn't going to gear as low as I ended up going but a guy at the dealer who really knows his stuff convinced me that I should be running 18t or 19t top with 41t bottom even with the 8 lug drivers (this is for mountain riding; deep snow and pulling some pretty good size hills). I went with 18/41 on my wife's SKS and 19/41 on my SP since it has bigger carbs and a bit more power.

One tip I got to determine where your gearing is vs where it should be is to mark some lines on the sheaves of your drive clutch and see where the marks wear off. You want to make sure it's shifting out far enough but not too much. If the belt runs too far in on the clutch the belt runs hotter and wears out faster and robs some power.

Premium Features