• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Smart-phone / Dumb-phone?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Does anyone else still have a dumb-phone or am I the last one? haha.

I've been trying to figure out the appeal of getting a smartphone and I'm just not sure if it's worth it to me. My current phone costs me about $55 a month with the little bit of texting I do and looking at the newer plans and then adding a data plan on top of it looks like I'd be right at $100 a month just for me....

I guess what I'm wondering is just what all do you people do with your smart phones besides surfing the internet (which can be easily done at home)? Am I really missing out on some spectacular wonder of the modern world by not wanting to get rid of my dumb-phone for one that costs twice as much?

I saw a report on the news the other day that said that on average, people aren't upgrading their phones as often as they were a few years ago since most phones sold lately are very capable and most newer technology isn't worth the upgrade for the minimal improvement.

Thoughts?

:beer;

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
I was where you are at 1 year ago. After having one I wouldnt give
it up. I love the having the internet with you all the time, you will
use it more than you think.

Just dont become a mindless drone slave to the smart phone!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It irritates me when I am talking to someone (face to face) & they whip out their phone to read a text they just got.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
I was thinking about getting rid of my smart phone and data when it was time to upgrade. About a month ago I fell in the lake with my smart phone in my pocket, so I activated my old dumb phone. I really missed the smart phone after that. I like being able to check the radar when I'm on the lake so I know if I should be heading to shore or if it'll miss me. Never thought I'd say it but the smartphone is worth the money.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
There are apps for everything! From a app to surf snowest all the way to ballistic calculators for shooting long range and even snow depth reports for your riding areas! Some of these apps make it well worth it to have a smart phone. Anymore it won't be a question if you will use it or not. The talk to txt is a great feature on most smart phone.
I think your big decision will be picking the phone. Do you have a iPad, iPod or anything apple? If so, go with a iPhone 5. If you don't own anything apple, still look at the iPhone 5 but also look at the Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC one. Don't buy the cheep ones!
Buy the insurance they will offer and buy a good case for it. And buy a car charger! These babies burn the battery! Be lucky to get a day and a half if you use it minimally. And won't last the whole day if you use it alot. Enjoy

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I'm still using a dumb phone. The company wants me to upgrade but I'm dragging my feet. They want me to be able to read my e-mails etc away from the office. I say if I'm away from the office I don't care about work. It would be nice to have the internet anywhere though. I'd hate to see my phone bill if I were to upgrade, already running $200 a month the way it is.:face-icon-small-sho

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I have Verizon. My wife and I have Iphones, with insurance and share 2 gigs of data. Cost per month is $210

S

srx_600

Apr 16, 2009
South Dakota
I havent ever been a fan of the insurance plans they offer with phones, i have rarely seen them actually pay off (i work in a computer/phone/game console repair shop). I have a smart phone and just got it about a year ago, mainly because of my job, but i had no issue using a dumb phone. I dont use a lot of data or anything and know i could go back if needed without a problem.

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
Dumb phone

If you watch Counting Cars, its on the History Channel, there was a blip where they made fun of the Count because he uses a dumb phone. He said he doesn't want a new smart phone, his phone makes calls and receives calls thats it, thats all he wants.

Up to you, check the data packages if you are religious using wifi you can make it by with a 300 meg share plan, but you have to watch it.

mckinney

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I've got a dumb phone, but I am required to get a smart phone for pharmary school. I am not really looking forward to it since it means like another 30$ a month I have to pay for a stupid internet package that i wont ever use since my school/my house all have wifi. So I am holding out another month with my dumb phone.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
WOW, I must admit, I wasn't expected such great responses so fast... Thanks guys!

In response - I don't have an iPod or iPad, or iTape measure, or anything of the iLike, haha... just my LG dumb-phone and my desktop PC.

I was looking over the phones from U.S. Cellular and the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the phone that caught my eye in the side by side comparisons simply for the fact it 'claimed' the best battery life and largest screen. As to what they actually do and how they go about doing it, I don't have a clue, lol. I'm not even sure what the heck an App is in reference to a smartphone. I'm guessing it makes surfing certain websites easier?

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Theres many benifits to a smart phone. In todays world if you dont know something you look it up on the internet. I cant count how many times im on my phone googling stuff.
If your out riding todays smart phones have quality cameras with video recording, so you can take good pictures / videos if you want.
One of the guys i ride with has an app that will track our whole ride start to finish and then he sends it to me and i can see where we went through out the day. it does this even wthout cel signal through GPS.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
WOW, I must admit, I wasn't expected such great responses so fast... Thanks guys!

In response - I don't have an iPod or iPad, or iTape measure, or anything of the iLike, haha... just my LG dumb-phone and my desktop PC.

I was looking over the phones from U.S. Cellular and the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the phone that caught my eye in the side by side comparisons simply for the fact it 'claimed' the best battery life and largest screen. As to what they actually do and how they go about doing it, I don't have a clue, lol. I'm not even sure what the heck an App is in reference to a smartphone. I'm guessing it makes surfing certain websites easier?

App is short for application. It's, for Lack of a better word, a program. You download them from the the " App Store" and like I said there is o e for everything. Like finding the cheapest gas station closest to you or a bubble level, games, pretty much anything you want. Some are free of cost some are $1-20+

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Dumb phone here. I'm holding out as long as I can, unfotunately the selection of stupid phones is getting slimmer and slimmer. Probably wont be a choice pretty soon.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
cell bill goes up about $20 a month to smart phone

plus they want a $30 upgrade fee, my old dumb phone was alot easier to use, I have to push 4 buttons to make a simple call back to the person who just called me, with the old fon, just hit the green button to call, now I tell my smart fon to do something, then i have to confirm it. it is nice to like pull up a mapquest while on the road tho. or pull up the WX forecast. or look at Radar.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
I also am kinda holding out to see if unlimited data comes back. Verizon used to do it, but not no more. Unfortunately we only have Verizon and AT&T. I keep hoping T-Mobile would come to MT. They seem to have some good prices based on what they advertise on TV.

H
Jan 28, 2004
I always wanted a smart phone but could not justify that much money for a cell phone. I as paying $35 a month. I was on my parents share plan with Verizon, and had unlimited texts.
I had a friend who was with Straight Talk (a prepaid company through Walmart) and he kept saying ho good it was, and he always had service where I did. They use Verizon/Sprint/ATT towers depending on what phone you have.

I decided to go for it. Costs $45 a month, for Unlimited data/talk/text. I bought the Samsung Galaxy SII, which uses ATT towers. I have loved it. The only place I have not gotten service was at my apartment:face-icon-small-fro but that was because it was in a gulley on the side of a Mtn. No other cell phones have service there either.

It amazes me how much I use the phone for that you wouldn't think you would use it for. Looking up random things, GPS tracker, apps for every possible use. My favorite use is when I am out exploring in the mtns. to open up a GPS tracker app on Satellite images. It helps you find that place you are trying to go, or get that line you have seen on Google maps!

For the extra $10 over what I was paying its a no brainier. I still don't know if I could bring myself to pay what the major companies want.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
$30 a month dumb phone for me, not even texting. I just can't justify the crazy monthly costs of using a smart phone. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's just sooo expensive for something I don't use much when I have a phone and internet at home for much less money. The only thing that I would want a smart phone for is remote starting my GMC truck in the winter.

It is rude to watch people talking face to face to someone, and then stop to take and unimportant call or text. Who do you see weaving all over the road...smart phone users who just can't wait a few minutes to talk or read a stupid message. Really, who/what is that important?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I use my note 2 for all kinds of work stuff......

GPS with navigation
Email, email, email
Taking notes in meetings with the pen
Use it to sling netflix movies over to my TV
Conference calling

Premium Features