• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SideWinder reviews?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
It's not the width of the boards I'm concerned about, it's the size of the openings and the ability to evacuate snow and traction

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
It's not the width of the boards I'm concerned about, it's the size of the openings and the ability to evacuate snow and traction
Oh, I see. I've been fine with the regular proclimb ones but I've been riding old junk with zero holes in them lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
My .02........I have a BTX that I swapped the 1.75" for. 2.6" powerclaw. I'm coming off a 270 MCX Viper and before that full build Alpine Nytro and MCX Apex. Yamaha just keeps improving their product. I'm not a chute climber.......mostly just playing in the trees and bowls. This Sidewinder is the most fun I've had on a sled in a looooong time. The power was very good. Nice and smooth. I did notice sometimes at elevation there was a very slight amount of lag (could've been the amount of snow covering the dash and intake area). This can be solved with a cold air kit. Altho the 18s come with the same intake vents as a new King Cat or Proclimb. I was going to do this on mine anyways. I love the Cat suspension and found it rode very well......soaked up stutter and big whoops no problem. I was a little worried about it wheelieing while climbing but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I think with the power it has its enuf to climb a lot of stuff but wasn't really enuf that I ever had it coming over backwards on me. My Viper would spin at about 70mph climbing and I spent close to 30g on it. I spent about 18g on the Sidewinder and consistently got 51-55mph track speed climbing. Show me a stock 800 that is even close to that. Weight is an issue no doubt about it and everyone says "you have to ride one"......I whole heartedly agree with that. Yes they're heavier than a 2 stroke. But the way Yamaha has designed the chassis it hides the extra weight extremely well. You really have to spend a good amount of time on a 4 stroke to figure out the best way to ride them. You can't blurp the throttle on/off/on/off. You have to ease in and out of the throttle to keep the momentum consistent and smooth. Fuel consumption was respectable. Fit and finish of the Yamaha is second to none. New panels are awesome. New oil system works flawless. Last trip out I rolled it several times to get out and no issues at all. Tried very hard to never roll my VIper or Apex cause of their oil systems.

All in all it has been an incredible sled. No problems with it. Pushing 200hp (allegedly) at any altitude, great handling and with full warranty.........can't complain about that.

Sled is completely stock other than track change and taller riser. I'm 6'1" 240lbs with no gear. You "ride" these Sidewinders they don't "ride you" like the Apex's and Nytros. :beer;:beer;:beer;

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Oil situation was dealt with as this is a factory engineered Turbo Platform. Roll it all day long like any 2 stroke and its good to go. We do it all the time. I agree 100% on the seat. Yamaha is working on an accessory seat that will be 1.5 lower with small platform plus some rear storage. its pretty sweet. As far as the risers. If you are above average height, I'd also agree. But having lower bars is an advantage. Try it before you knock it. But then again personal preference is understood.
As far as comparing this even close to a Viper......its polar opposites. More like comparing it to a Doo or Cat with a bunch of power and torque.

We had our recent Yamafest in Revelstoke this past weekend. 4 2018 and a bunch of 2017 to ride for all. Here is a wrap up story.
Safe sledding
RS

http://sleddermag.com/yamafest-2017-good-times-good-people/

When would the new seat be available? any pictures kicking around yet?

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
How does the 17 compare to the 18 50th LE with the drop and roll and QS3 shock package ? Someone must have been able to compare them in some steep and deep conditions.

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
How does the 17 compare to the 18 50th LE with the drop and roll and QS3 shock package ? Someone must have been able to compare them in some steep and deep conditions.

If you spend any time on the Arctic Cat side you'll have seen a lot of reviews on the new drop and roll. A few guys have even retro fitted the drop and roll to their 16s and older Pro Climbs.

The general consensus is that it completely changes the way the sled handles! All for the better. It gets on top of the snow easier and it is easier to maneuver.

I'd say you made a great choice.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Chain case

I put the dropped and rolled chain case in 2016 M800 ltd.
It made a big difference.
I highly recommend it along with 8 tooth drivers.

Like said above there's lots of info in the cat proclimb section.

image.jpg

Jager Bomb 243

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2009
Deforest Wisconsin
My .02........I have a BTX that I swapped the 1.75" for. 2.6" powerclaw. I'm coming off a 270 MCX Viper and before that full build Alpine Nytro and MCX Apex. Yamaha just keeps improving their product. I'm not a chute climber.......mostly just playing in the trees and bowls. This Sidewinder is the most fun I've had on a sled in a looooong time. The power was very good. Nice and smooth. I did notice sometimes at elevation there was a very slight amount of lag (could've been the amount of snow covering the dash and intake area). This can be solved with a cold air kit. Altho the 18s come with the same intake vents as a new King Cat or Proclimb. I was going to do this on mine anyways. I love the Cat suspension and found it rode very well......soaked up stutter and big whoops no problem. I was a little worried about it wheelieing while climbing but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I think with the power it has its enuf to climb a lot of stuff but wasn't really enuf that I ever had it coming over backwards on me. My Viper would spin at about 70mph climbing and I spent close to 30g on it. I spent about 18g on the Sidewinder and consistently got 51-55mph track speed climbing. Show me a stock 800 that is even close to that. Weight is an issue no doubt about it and everyone says "you have to ride one"......I whole heartedly agree with that. Yes they're heavier than a 2 stroke. But the way Yamaha has designed the chassis it hides the extra weight extremely well. You really have to spend a good amount of time on a 4 stroke to figure out the best way to ride them. You can't blurp the throttle on/off/on/off. You have to ease in and out of the throttle to keep the momentum consistent and smooth. Fuel consumption was respectable. Fit and finish of the Yamaha is second to none. New panels are awesome. New oil system works flawless. Last trip out I rolled it several times to get out and no issues at all. Tried very hard to never roll my VIper or Apex cause of their oil systems.

All in all it has been an incredible sled. No problems with it. Pushing 200hp (allegedly) at any altitude, great handling and with full warranty.........can't complain about that.

Sled is completely stock other than track change and taller riser. I'm 6'1" 240lbs with no gear. You "ride" these Sidewinders they don't "ride you" like the Apex's and Nytros. :beer;:beer;:beer;

Any clearance issues with putting the 2.6 in track under your BTX?? I just bought one and am debating on doing a track swap when I head west.

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Any clearance issues with putting the 2.6 in track under your BTX?? I just bought one and am debating on doing a track swap when I head west.

There is a slight amount of rubbing at times but it's in the tunnel not at the bulkhead/front cooler. I believe it's cause the btx has cooler all the way to the rear of the tunnel (mtx is just in the front of the tunnel)

T

TTE

Nov 26, 2007
Norway
There is a slight amount of rubbing at times but it's in the tunnel not at the bulkhead/front cooler. I believe it's cause the btx has cooler all the way to the rear of the tunnel (mtx is just in the front of the tunnel)

Did you change drive wheels/sprockets or keep stock ones going to a 2.6" track. I just picked up a BTX LE with OEM track 2.25" and considering upgrading to 2.6-3.0" lug track. I would assume going with MTX drive sprockets and notching the outer lugs would prevent track from rubbing coolers. Then a 3" lug track would be fine - any inputs?

Last edited:

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Did you change drive wheels/sprockets or keep stock ones going to a 2.6" track. I just picked up a BTX LE with OEM track 2.25" and considering upgrading to 2.6-3.0" lug track. I would assume going with MTX drive sprockets and notching the outer lugs would prevent track from rubbing coolers. Then a 3" lug track would be fine - any inputs?

Yes I had to change drivers to get the 2.6 to fit. I don't think it's possible to try a 3" in there. Only way it could be done is to drill new holes where the front arm mounts. Even then I don't think there would be enuf clearance for a 3"

silverram323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cambridge, MN
www.beyondsynthetics.net
Yes I had to change drivers to get the 2.6 to fit. I don't think it's possible to try a 3" in there. Only way it could be done is to drill new holes where the front arm mounts. Even then I don't think there would be enuf clearance for a 3"

What drivers did you go with?
I have a xtx 141 and im putting a 2.6 in there for my out west trip to island park in February. I have 8 tooth drivers now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silverram323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cambridge, MN
www.beyondsynthetics.net
4414cef2ff314dbd3185260d41e45689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
7 tooth

QUOTE=silverram323;4099464]What drivers did you go with?
I have a xtx 141 and im putting a 2.6 in there for my out west trip to island park in February. I have 8 tooth drivers now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Premium Features