• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy Range

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
Hello,

My wife and I are contemplating a trip to the Snowies from Grand County Colorado. We have never ridden their and would like some info on where to stay (on the trail hopefully) where to eat and drink(heavily) and where I could find a trail map of the area.

Thanks for any info.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
If you're coming up the west side, I'd look at 10 Mile Inn. You can ride from the door, gas, food and drink are all right there close. You're easy access to the best riding also.

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
We have lived here in Summit County, Colorado for 42 years and use to sled in the Snowies many years from around 1990 thru 2010. Our favorite place was Medicine Bow Lodge on the west side, ride out of the cabins, great food, bring your own booze, no bar. Great room with pool tables and big screen TV., clean hot tub. The people that ran it in the early days did a bang up job, Dennis and his family. It sold to a family from La. around 2002. They tried to do a good job but it went downhill somewhat, services, food, quality and so on. Road in not plowed correctly, paths to cabins not shoveled, hot tub in bad shape and closed, price increase. Nice people but in over their head. The main lodge burned down and it was rebuilt and is very nice. Last time we were there in 2010 it was just fair. On our last family trip one of my sons bill was $1,200 for three nights for them, wife, him and two children, just lodging and food, pretty steep for a young family.

The sleding is as good as it gets up there. Snow was always great and deep. I see there are several new places close to Medicine Bow Lodge these days. We always liked the west side better, east side can get windy and snow blows off. We use to spend a day playing and riding over to Albany for lunch. Albany looks like a nice place to stay these days but is a fair ride to the good sleding on top. Sure miss sleding there, I know this year is not so good there but getting better with each storm, snowtel sites are looking good at Sand Lake and East French Creek with around 3 feet down around the Lodges on the west side. And, were gaining bigtime here in Central Co. Flattops reporting 80+ inches at Bison Lake now.
ron

Premium Features