For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Avalanche and Survival Saftey, first aid and survival information

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Currently: Let 'er SNOW!!
Timbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond repute
Default PIEPS JETFORCE TOUR RIDER 24 Liter

Anyone used and had experience with the PIEPS Jetforce Tour Rider 24?

I would like to hear what you like or dislike about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Timbre; 03-27-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Currently: Not set.
Thanked 1,475 Times in 741 Posts
turboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond repute

They are heavy is one gripe and pieps is owned by black diamond is my other gripe. The tech is cool but just seems heavy compared to my avy vest.

The Following User Says Thank You to turboless terry For This Useful Post:
Timbre (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Currently: Looking forward to a great snow season.
FlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingW has a reputation beyond repute

I've had one since their first or second year. As one stated weight is an issue but I'm good sized and don't notice it once I get it on. I got a snowbike this year and in tighter trees I have had branches grab the flaps and unclip it a few times. I have slid on my back into tree wells and pulled the zipper for the bag partially open a time or two. Just have to reclip the flap and the zipper just pull rest of the way apart like being deployed and rezip.

Otherwise make sure it gets shut off at the end of the day. Had one friend show up snowmobiling and had one he said was charged but was dead. He may have left it on for how long he didn't know but it did take a charge and was fine after that.

I like the idea of inflating when needed and then at the end deflating to help make an air pocket if god forbid it actually had to be deployed.

The one concern I see of several people with avalanche pack is putting a BCA radio in a back pocket and then running the mic cord up and over down a shoulder strap not thinking they may restrict the deployment of the air bag. I put my radio in the zippered area next to your back so it doesn't interfere with the air bag. I see many people unaware of the issue no matter what brand of avalanche pack.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingW For This Useful Post:
Timbre (03-30-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 08:19 PM
Timbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
I've had one since their first or second year. As one stated weight is an issue but I'm good sized and don't notice it once I get it on. I got a snowbike this year and in tighter trees I have had branches grab the flaps and unclip it a few times. I have slid on my back into tree wells and pulled the zipper for the bag partially open a time or two. Just have to reclip the flap and the zipper just pull rest of the way apart like being deployed and rezip.

Otherwise make sure it gets shut off at the end of the day. Had one friend show up snowmobiling and had one he said was charged but was dead. He may have left it on for how long he didn't know but it did take a charge and was fine after that.

I like the idea of inflating when needed and then at the end deflating to help make an air pocket if god forbid it actually had to be deployed.

The one concern I see of several people with avalanche pack is putting a BCA radio in a back pocket and then running the mic cord up and over down a shoulder strap not thinking they may restrict the deployment of the air bag. I put my radio in the zippered area next to your back so it doesn't interfere with the air bag. I see many people unaware of the issue no matter what brand of avalanche pack
Great point!! I have seen this as well. If using a shoulder mic (like i do) a person would definitely want to put the radio in the area between the air bag and their back, where all the other storage area is!

Regarding weight . . . i did a "dry weight" of the Pieps Tour Rider 24 and my current BCA Float 22, (both ready to deploy but with nothing else in either of them) and the Pieps is exactly 1.2 lbs heavier than the BCA. Not nearly as much difference as i had thought.

The "air pocket" is HUGE for me as well! Also, the way it self deflates after about 3 minutes. Plus being able to still keep the bag inflated even if the bag has up to an 8" gash in it. Pretty impressive!!

Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Currently: Loving the Alpha 165
Thanked 1,385 Times in 689 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is my fourth season on the Pieps bag. I really like them. Bag fits me well, not perfect but better than anything else I’ve tried and I’m 6’4” 250lbs. Very comfortable. My nephew runs his empty except for shovel and probe and his is 11.5lbs on a bathroom scale, mine is 15lbs with some survival gear added. I really like the ability to practice with the bag and test it. I’ve seen BCA bags blown on accident a lot. Most guys just keep riding unprotected. For some reason it always seems to be BCA bags blowing. I run my BCA radio in the top pocket and the wire over my shoulder but I just tuck the mike under my sternum strap. I actually take the metal clip off because I don’t use it. This bag is very strong inflation, no way that wire would mess with the inflation. I’d test it but both ends of the radio wire aren’t fixed on my set up and I’m afraid it would rip one end of the wire out and ruin if I tested it that way. I’ve seen it on a BCA deployed and it def impedes inflation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matte Murder For This Useful Post:
Timbre (04-04-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Bgilmlbz is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone heard anything about a battery issue with the Pieps? I've heard they were having issues so they went to a capacitor system? Just a rumor I have heard but I cant confirm it by searching anywhere on the net. (if its on the net it has to be true)

Old 04-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Currently: Loving the Alpha 165
Thanked 1,385 Times in 689 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

First year they had some kind of glitch in the programming. One of my three wouldn’t take a charge and the info lights on the pull handle would spaz and flash red. Obvious there was an issue and it wouldn’t blow when the lights were all wacky. Sent it back to where I got it and they did whatever was needed and got it back to me. That was 4 seasons back I believe.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgilmlbz View Post
Has anyone heard anything about a battery issue with the Pieps? I've heard they were having issues so they went to a capacitor system? Just a rumor I have heard but I cant confirm it by searching anywhere on the net. (if its on the net it has to be true)
I did a little research . . .
There was (as MatteMurder said) an issue with batteries charging the first season, but that has been resolved. The capacitor system is what KLIM is doing in these avi packs, but there are a few negatives with this system, in my opinion.

On the positive side, it is about 2 pounds lighter, and can be charged with 2 AA batteries in about 40 minutes. Also has a built in pocket for the BCA radio. If you don't use BCA radios (like me) i suppose this pocket could be used for a shoulder mic from other radios, like the Baofeng that i use, though a pocket like this is not at all necessary.

It also appears that Polaris is partnering with PIEPS and making pretty much the same bag as KLIM did, for a price of about $1200.

Some comparison are as follows . . . .

1) KLIM must be recharged after being deployed once (maybe twice). If the option of multiple deployments is needed, AA batteries can be taken along and put in to recharge the capacitor in about 40 minutes. PIEPS does at least 4 before a charge (in cold weather) and up to 8 in warmer weather, but does not offer a way to charge other than a wall charger or inverter in your vehicle.

2) KLIM remains inflated when deployed. PIEPS self-deflates after about 3 minutes.

3) If this KLIM bag gets punctured after deployment, it deflates. PIEPS keeps the bag inflated by cycling the fan, even if a puncture or rip is up to 8" in size.

4) To deflate, on the KLIM, you have to pull a release valve while pushing the air out of the bag. The PIEPS automatically deflates by itself and is easily re-packed into the bag.

5) KLIM is 150 liter bag. PIEPS is a 200 liter bag.

6) KLIM will not deflate after 3 minutes to leave an air cavity under the snow in the event of a complete burial. PIEPS will automatically deflate and leave a large 200 liter air cavity for breathing.

7) KLIM has a "rapid deployment" pocket for probes. Release the buckle and the probes fall out the bottom. That is pretty cool, unless the buckle gets knocked open, and the probes fall out. That could be a HUGE problem!

8) KLIM must be turned on by opening the pack. PIEPS is turned on with a button at the end of the pull handle.

8) KLIM is about $300-$400 more than the PIEPS.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Bgilmlbz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post
I did a little research . . .
There was (as MatteMurder said) an issue with batteries charging the first season, but that has been resolved. The capacitor system is what KLIM is doing in these avi packs, but there are a few negatives with this system, in my opinion.

On the positive side, it is about 2 pounds lighter, and can be charged with 2 AA batteries in about 40 minutes. Also has a built in pocket for the BCA radio. If you don't use BCA radios (like me) i suppose this pocket could be used for a shoulder mic from other radios, like the Baofeng that i use, though a pocket like this is not at all necessary.

It also appears that Polaris is partnering with PIEPS and making pretty much the same bag as KLIM did, for a price of about $1200.

Some comparison are as follows . . . .

1) KLIM must be recharged after being deployed once (maybe twice). If the option of multiple deployments is needed, AA batteries can be taken along and put in to recharge the capacitor in about 40 minutes. PIEPS does at least 4 before a charge (in cold weather) and up to 8 in warmer weather, but does not offer a way to charge other than a wall charger or inverter in your vehicle.

2) KLIM remains inflated when deployed. PIEPS self-deflates after about 3 minutes.

3) If this KLIM bag gets punctured after deployment, it deflates. PIEPS keeps the bag inflated by cycling the fan, even if a puncture or rip is up to 8" in size.

4) To deflate, on the KLIM, you have to pull a release valve while pushing the air out of the bag. The PIEPS automatically deflates by itself and is easily re-packed into the bag.

5) KLIM is 150 liter bag. PIEPS is a 200 liter bag.

6) KLIM will not deflate after 3 minutes to leave an air cavity under the snow in the event of a complete burial. PIEPS will automatically deflate and leave a large 200 liter air cavity for breathing.

7) KLIM has a "rapid deployment" pocket for probes. Release the buckle and the probes fall out the bottom. That is pretty cool, unless the buckle gets knocked open, and the probes fall out. That could be a HUGE problem!

8) KLIM must be turned on by opening the pack. PIEPS is turned on with a button at the end of the pull handle.

8) KLIM is about $300-$400 more than the PIEPS.

I just bought a Pieps but then I heard from a couple of people about an “issue”. Looked all over and only thing I could find was an issue with the first gen that was recalled and a firmware update installed. It’s kind of funny, I did pretty much the same research you did and came up with the same results
Is the BCA radio different in size than the Baofeng? That’s the radio I use as well.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgilmlbz View Post
I just bought a Pieps but then I heard from a couple of people about an “issue”. Looked all over and only thing I could find was an issue with the first gen that was recalled and a firmware update installed. It’s kind of funny, I did pretty much the same research you did and came up with the same results
Is the BCA radio different in size than the Baofeng? That’s the radio I use as well.
That is awesome! Just confirms i made the right choice too. The research took a while, but i believe it led me in the right direction. I now own the PIEPS JetForce Tour Rider 24.

The radios are close in size, but the Baofeng transmits at a much higher wattage (5 watt) than the BCA (1-2 watts), therefore has MUCH longer range than the BCA, at just a fraction of the cost. I put the Baofeng radio in my backpack and run the cord (and antenna) out the top at the zipper, down the shoulder strap, and clip the mic to the shoulder strap. I have never needed a pocket for the mic. It just works perfectly as is.