• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken 2014 xm clutch bolt

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have not encountered this. So the bolt is still threaded into the crank and not in the threaded portion of the clutch?
Short of cutting the clutch, I would ask for ideas on how to get the clutch off....post on this site, dootalk, polaris forum etc....there are some smart and creative people out there. Once the clutch is out of the way the bolt can be drilled out and its likely the crank threads are OK and only the bolt threads are stretched. Maybe run a tap through the crank if a new bolt doesn't thread in easily by hand. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
Had this happen to one of my Doos. I cut the clutch off, then took it to a machine shop and they drilled out the bolt and saved the crank. My bolt was broke off real short, if it is long enough a machine shop will be your new best friend. Good luck

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
No need to cut the clutch off. If the Broken bolt is not extruding too far outside the bolt hole you can use the water method to get the clutch to release. Just use another clutch bolt to get it off instead of the puller. It will give you more clearance from the broken bolt.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
You should be able to stick a strong mech magnet in the clutch and thread it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
So the puller bolt broke or the clutch bolt?? The threaded part clutch bolt should not of been tight in the crank if the shank broke.
Seen this happen to pros this year. Using a magnet will thread the old bolt out of the crank stub.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Well i missed the part of the threads galling I thought the clutch bolt just snapped off, I don't know how I missed it but I thought the op said clutch bolt broke off, I just posted to try and help.

No need for you to be rude!
BTW I have quite a bit of experience working on sleds and on equipment, since I twist wrenches for a living.

Yes that was a odd situation and my original idea would of defiantly would not of worked.

I do not own a Polaris but I really enjoy riding my RB clutched XM, you'll like those ramps.

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
No worries man it's all good. Glad to hear you got your ride fixed. Galled clutch bolt was a new one never heard of that, thanks for posting the fix!

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
since clutch bolt was broke off about 1 inch out from the puller threads in clutch shaft no way to pull clutch.

to get moveable sheeve off used two pieces of 2x4 fir cut at an angle going from about 1.7 inches to 2.3 inches about 3 inches long each. used a hammer to pound these in back and forth where the belt goes.. on opposite sides between the sheeves, and with not much effort the moveable sheeve came off. yeeaaahhh

so now just the clutch shaft with the broken bolt about 3 inches in, crap how to drill that out trying to keep the bit centered and not taking out the puller threads in clutch shaft??

went to local recycle scrap yard and found a piece of pipe that would fit nicely in clutch shaft and go over the broken bolt with the correct inside diameter for drill bit. this was like magic as easily drilled out bolt past puller threads and then used water method to pop clutch off!!!!! yeeaaahhhh

once clutch was off used cut off wheel to nicely cut off remaining clutch bolt at crank snout. then carefully center punched and worked my up with drill bits drilling out the frozen threads of the bolt in the crank snout. after daring to go no bigger on drill used dremel with carbide cutter bit to slowly grind bolt threads furthur till could see "shadow" of snout threads. then carefully started tap to slowly "Break" out the frozen clutch bolt threads.

went slow and wallah......good to go . put my new rooster recommended ramps in . torqued the clutch back on.

Would like to thank I 90 motorsports for the support , should have had them do it, but i like wrenchin too.

wow that took a lot of patience, good to know, im not torquing my bolt on past 85 anymore.

Premium Features