• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing down the axys?

B
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry if it's been asked before, I have a kurts geardown kit and clutch kit on my 14 pro. Looking at getting into an axys and they said the pro belt and gears won't work. I read somewhere that if I use my stock pro belt and gears on the axys it gears it down? Is gearing a axys down even really needed? I sure like how it made my pro ride. Also looking at getting a tki kit but not sure the best ratio. Looking to get a 2.6 155. Thanks guys!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The gears should bolt on. The belt would be the issue. I have installed pro gears on my axys with axys qd belt. Waiting for snow for testing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
The gears should bolt on. The belt would be the issue. I have installed pro gears on my axys with axys qd belt. Waiting for snow for testing

X2. I installed two sets of stock 13-15 qd pro gears with axys belts on two new 17s I think it will work good, makes the ratio 2.38 pretty close to kurts 2.40 on the pro. Guys did this with success last season, I see no reason why it would have a problem.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Use your Axys bolts, the lower bolt is different from the 13-15 models.

FWIW, I ran the QD pulleys from my '14 Pro on my Axys all last season and they, as well as the original Axys belt, will on for this season.

I actually geared mine up to 2.10. I installed Avid 8T 2.86 drivers and then the QD pulleys from my '14. It pulled extremely hard (aka ran like a raped ape) once I got the clutching sorted out running the BMP stage 3 kit and a Tied secondary.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Like its been mentioned in other gear down threads, you really should change the secondary helix to something steeper when you gear down

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Like its been mentioned in other gear down threads, you really should change the secondary helix to something steeper when you gear down

Agreed, and even in stock form the straight cut helix is lame to what it should/ could be. It's really is noticeable on boost, that it is a weak link.

Premium Features