• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

plastic chaincase cover?

What the hell is that all about? Just snowchecked a 09 800 155 rmk, anybody know if these have these cheesy covers on them? I see the dragons have a magnesium one on them. coming off my bulletproof 03 edge, this is dissapointing for a $11K sled!!

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Plastic covers are a waste of time and money, they melt and warp easily just to save half a pound in weight. The magnesium will be light, but that is a fire starter so don't get that can hot or poof just like the XP's.

D
Nov 26, 2007
From Away
This is what they look like when the hood vents get stopped up with snow.
burntcover1.jpg

burntcover2.jpg

And yes it spewed oil. New one 105 $ I put heat insulating tape on the new one. No more problems.

D
Nov 26, 2007
From Away
Tape is OK... Aluminum (not mylar) coated fiberglass is much better.

No insulation plus can = problems

DaveRT.... 2006 600?

2007 600 cfi switchback
I used an adhesive backed aluminum and fiberglass tape.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=340410
I cut and fit the tape to the cover. Has lasted over 1200 miles without lifting off the cover. I also covered a coolant hose that had the plastic sleeve melted. I discovered the melted and leaking cover when I was repairing the melted off recoil cord, at night, 5 deg. below F. in front of the cabin we rented for a week of ice fishing. It does start with the strap in the tool kit wrapped around the clutch. Must of started it a doz. times or more that day on the lake fishing. I replaced the cord with new when I replaced the cover. I also used the tape and made a shield for the recoil cord, and now keep the front vents clear of snow.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Is there an option out there to replace the plastic??? off another year sled, or an aftermarket one?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Magnesium is some nasty stuff to catch fire. I'm sure there's lots of videos on this stuff, but mag when on fire and exposed to water (snow) could do some serious damage........ not something I'd wanna be around. :eek:
Here's one example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogZBXNqaMo

Oh ya baby, this stuff burns. At least you know if your stranded and need to light a nice bright signal fire you could use the cover? :eek:

So what kind of insulation do you put between cover and can? Thermo-tec self adhesive or exhaust can wrap? Both?

I remember a discussion about wrapping the exhaust to keep heat out of the engine conpartment and away from other components. Conclusion was the increased temperature of the exhaust might change the tuning of the pipe.

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I thought that Polaris switched to mag covers in 06? I remember the huge selling points of the 06 900 and 700 were the fact it had 10 pounds set lower in the chassis with a different chain case and the new injectors?

On a side note, my 900 is in the shop again for hitting a tree and after I duck taped it back together to be snow worthy, i blew the chain case out. Blew the seal and lost all the oil climbing a hill and on the way down it turned to mush. My plastic cover is split and leaking like a siv as well.

They should have stuck to aluminum..Its a worry you don't need in the powder, especially with a brand new sled!! Anybody had any problems with the magnesium covers? May just have to bite the bullet and buy a mag cover from polaris and fab a heat shield and/ or insulated tape. Going to have to use something on the plastic cover regardless because of the lightweight can.

Premium Features