• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Simmons Gen III skis: Cutting out the sides for better side hilling

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Funny that you should say that!

Bret Rasmussen tells you how to do it in some of his seminars, and that it's one of his "secrets".

One of Chris Burandt's riding partners, George Marsh runs cut skis.

I could go on and on with names from all of the DVD's you have stored under your TV.

You still sure you wanna stand behind that statement? Or should I email you a sign up sheet for the next Ride Rasmussen Style school? :doh: :pound::pound: :pound:

So I just watched the latest schooled video last night and I didn't see one sled with skis like this. So I am not sure I would call it one of his "secrets". It looks like all of Brets and Chris' sleds run the SLP skis, not sure though but pretty sure none of them were cut up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Of course you didn't see it.

its one of his SECRETS

he camouflages his skis to make them look just like the normal ones without the side cuts on them so people can't tell !! :face-icon-small-hap

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT
I sure HOPE SO.
Should find out this weekend if all goes right.

You have done so many changes with the skinz and kmod, it will be hard to point to only the skis. You should swap them right to left during the day to see the real difference.

I did it a couple years ago on my apex and it made a noticeable difference...then I got an m-10. I went back to stock skis after one ride as it was a pig to sidehill with the fatty skis. Never looked back.

-Rhett

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats an interesting suggestion.
Never even thought of doing that.

That would certainly be doable "In The Field"

M
Jan 14, 2004
The only good thing to come out of having both my sleds stolen was that they both had those clown skis on them. Good riddance to those things. Junk.

M5

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Wow lots of opinionated dudes here.

The sidecut does work 2 reasons

Narrower ski and less floatation on the heels.

The bigger front acts like a servo tab with the front pushing the sled into a turn when counter steering.

One can adjust this effect by the length of material removed.

This is a proven mod from the days when sleds did not handle as well as now.

Pretty much the only way to make the gen2 carve a line.

To many people with opinions and the only sledding experience they have is on a computer key board.

Lots of expert mudslingers out there, I better take cover now.:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Its all good.
As they say, The Proof is in the pudding.
And I will know soon enough if this is part of an overall solution or not.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
These skis work very well in GOOD snow but poorly in old/hard snow.

With fresh snow I am able to roll over and ride quite nicely, but as the quality and depth of the snow begin to drop the friendliness of the skis goes down rapidly.

Sent from my Apple iPhone 4S using the TapaTalk app.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When I was up in Canada last spring with good snow the skis were GREAT.
Really loved them.
Let me do all kinds of things.

But.
Down here in Idaho we had a pretty poor winter and the added width was not my friend when the snow was poor. There were several rides where I think I would have been better off with the OEM skis on the sled rather than the customized Gen IIIs.

Premium Features