• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CVT Belt - Why do they explode ?

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Last saturday I exploded my first belt (in many many many pieces of all size) and so did WhistlerHawk's cousin on his 159 and I got a question for you guys, more specifically the gurus here, the one who rode sleds before Hawks and know clutching & belts problems !!!

First : how the he!! is that possible ? And what are the cause(s) of that ?

Too much heat ? Too much belt pinch at one specific time ? Primary looking to pull on the belt while secondary resists and it snaps ? I could see it snap at one spot (like a weak link on a chain) and I can see one spot being "burned" or narrowed down at one spot because a guy can spun it... But I have a hard time understanding how it could blow in 100 pieces. It happened when I made a turn and loaded the track after 10 minutes of giving her a pretty hard time.

I must say that the snow was kind of wet and heavy, the type of snow you'd do snowmans with. I clickered up to 6 to get around 7950 RPM and I had decent clutching from there on. No pre notice that it would blow like that. It just happened.

Just looking to understand what happened here !

Any other type of belt than Ultimax 3 you guys are using ?

Thanks. Thierry

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Typically its cause from heat, heat is cause from slippage. Its worse in heavy wet snow because of more load on the track. Can be caused by missalignment of clutches, to high gear ratio, lack of backshift, not enough pin weight.

I see you have a engine stop, thats good, check alignment, increase spring pressure in driven clutch, maybe look at a helix change. I switched to a 44 straight on my 600 and am a lot happier with the backshift off trail.

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Thanks guys

CJ, I'll check alignment on that for sure and I'm gonna be trying the stiffer secondary spring next year for sure. I already got the purple one which is the stiffest Ski-Doo's got. There's a stiffer yellow secondary spring available that Turbo Al used to cure clutching problems on the '08 XP's. 3 weeks ago, I got to try a straight 44 helix in a Team secondary with very poor results unfortunately. Maybe I didn't have enough spring force for proper backshift but acceleration and backshiftng was way better with the 50/40 helix with purple spring on the "stock" Snow-Hawk secondary. That was in the dry & decently deep snow of Revelstoke though.

I'll blame the heavy snow on that ! I remember while changing clickers that clutch was so hot, I couldn't even touch the nut of the clickers ! It was the first time of the season I rode snow that was that heavy. Maybe a different helix would have been the cure that day. I'm not gonna try to find the perfect setup for that type of snow anyway since It's almost time to put it away for a few months ! I wish I had a few helixes to play with... I'll add that to my christmas wish list !

Premium Features