• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RH powder bog ?!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I got out today 4 feet of pow over the hood. My dealer had his Mountain cat out and was getting bogs all day long not necessarily on RH turns. was pissing him off. I didn't bog once. I sealed up my intake and nose cone with silicone last night.

Wyoboy was with us. His super high running boards on his 16 w dropped case actually do help not hang up in pow. He lifted them 3" higher than stock. Requires ape hanger risers but was surprised how well it worked in that deep snow

Last edited:
S
Nov 5, 2014
K serious question here.

How do I go about blocking this hole off between the steering post and the google bag?

Is there a product or do I have to invent something?

I don't want any snow in my engine bay.

Thanks

48f72afcb69975ec1cf863db412d4c6f.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I really don't think the hole behind the steering post is the problem. I've used the plastic grate on all my past proclimbs including this MC to let out under hood heat, and I didn't have the bog today in stupid deep pow. My dealer had the goggle bag on his MC and had bog. The intake on the bottom needs to be sealed up on the big gap on the inner sides with silicone. I can't really see the gap on outer side or if there is even one but I jammed a bunch of rubber weather seal in that side just in case

S
Nov 5, 2014
I really don't think the hole behind the steering post is the problem. I've used the plastic grate on all my past proclimbs including this MC to let out under hood heat, and I didn't have the bog today in stupid deep pow. My dealer had the goggle bag on his MC and had bog. The intake on the bottom needs to be sealed up on the big gap on the inner sides with silicone. I can't really see the gap on outer side or if there is even one but I jammed a bunch of rubber weather seal in that side just in case
Not saying it is the problem. I am just not fond of having moisture in my engine bay.

Excuse my ignorance here but I am new to Cat this year.

So there is a grill that I can get?
Maybe glue frog skinz to it?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Wyoboy was with us. His super high running boards on his 16 w dropped case actually do help not hang up in pow. He lifted them 3" higher than stock. Requires ape hanger risers but was surprised how well it worked in that deep snow

Probably looks like a monkey fvcking a football on that thing.

I want to see pics.

Of the sled I mean. Not him.

acwyo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Douglas, Wy
I got out today 4 feet of pow over the hood. My dealer had his Mountain cat out and was getting bogs all day long not necessarily on RH turns. was pissing him off. I didn't bog once. I sealed up my intake and nose cone with silicone last night.

Yep sealing the intake was the trick. Mine got a quick tape job last night before heading down. Taped all sides of the lower intake to test it out. No bogs all day in super deep pow! Also have Diamond S can and I did not cut the outlet down yet and I had no bogging issue due to the exhaust either. My dealer was there and said he will be getting with cat on the intake issue.

And as far as the boards Wyoboy changed up, they fell way different and yes need app hangers, 3" higher boards mean 3" higher bars, but the function in deep pow was considerably better, way less drag!

Last edited:
S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I’m sitting here thinking,
With the front intake would that sticky foam stripping work?
Like the stuff you can use for truck box toppers. Comes in different thicknesses and different sizes just a thought what do you guys think instead of dealing with silicon

Also, there’s the gauge. I dunno if when popped off if behind it is the intake but the other day my sled rolled and the gauge popped off was simple to pop back into place but after thinking at work if behind it is intake and it simply pops on and off without a seal could be an other problem area

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Like the stuff you can use for truck box toppers. Comes in different thicknesses and different sizes just a thought what do you guys think instead of dealing with silicon

Also, there’s the gauge. I dunno if when popped off if behind it is the intake but the other day my sled rolled and the gauge popped off was simple to pop back into place but after thinking at work if behind it is intake and it simply pops on and off without a seal could be an other problem area

Funny you say that foam - that is exactly what I was going to get at the auto store today. That stuff sticks really good.
Ideally would like a mesh type Gorilla Tape, or FrogSkinz material.

I can not believe that gap at the top of the intake.
Oh wait, yes I can.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Same as always...powder bogs are worse on the right than the left due to pipe exit. And the intake will clog and/or injest snow in these conditions making it worse. Even if no bogs, the right hand sidehills do rob power...adds a lot of backpressure and throws things off. I have also found that running too high of octane for the elevation makes bogging worse...the high octane doesn't burn as readily.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
So pull your hood off , turn the lights off , stick a flashlight in the nose intake of the hood and you will see where you need to seal off. Mine was in the very front of the nose and one more area about a foot back where a screw goes in. Be sure to face the flashlight from the nose back towards the gauge too, that's how I saw the second area I need to seal up.

S
Nov 5, 2014

I donno if I would silicone it, talking with my dealer there is supposed to be an update.
Going with tape for now.
See what they come up with.

Sleddogg

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Dayton, WY
Also make sure the tabs are in on your vents themselves. Enough taking on and off,mine weren't seated correctly.
f563ced941afcc66c641d6a775b5bb5c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The right side wasn't assembled correctly so it had a gap. I taped it for now. I Should have taken a pic with the hood off and the gap.....
Oh well, here is an assembled pic.
2b1b1a4c01aaa919430bd94305ce3cb6.jpg

Mountain Cat

Sleddogg

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Dayton, WY
Anything New

Does anyone have any news good or bad with the issue?
Rode mine 2 days and had bad bogging issues. I'm not even sure it has to do with the powder anymore. I was going across a flat mountain lake and it would bog. Have to really chop the throttle to get it out of the bog. It screwed me on side-hills and trees many times! I have 7 hours on the sled, almost seems too rich?
I've taped and sealed everything possible too.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Rode mine 2 days and had bad bogging issues. I'm not even sure it has to do with the powder anymore. I was going across a flat mountain lake and it would bog. Have to really chop the throttle to get it out of the bog. It screwed me on side-hills and trees many times! I have 7 hours on the sled, almost seems too rich?
Have u told ur dealer about the issue? Curious as to what the dealers think.

I just seen u have 7hrs. U may not be out of breakin? Adds fuel and oil for 6hrs of ridding time.

Mountain Cat

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
This sounds like the issues the 600 c tech has had for years that cat wants to pretend isn't real. I was hoping the fuel rail dampenener was the fix, maybe not

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Your in breakin mode.....

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
bog

Your in breakin mode.....

Same issue with my sled. I tried sealing the lower intake with silicone and upper by goggle bag like everyone suggested with black tape. Sled is still bogging bad and not just in powder. Even did it on the flats a few days ago.

I have roughly 175 miles and it is out of break in mode. not sure what to do anymore... Any ideas?

I have heard of a sled that burnt down from this issue this year with snow in the intake...

Premium Features