• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

make a mountain max lighter/ risers?

im working on making my mountain max lighter and better. its a 97. so far the plan is a 151 track extension kit. slp pipes bar risers and aftermarket running boards.

i have heard of park break issues when rising the bars. does anybody have info on this?

also what can i do to make it lighter without spending much money? ive heard of pulling the foam? is this a good idea? anything else?

and how does the mpi transfer enhansmet kit work?

does anybody have any thing for this sled for sale?

thanks,
Spencer

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I could only run a 2" riser with stock cables/hose. I also broke my steering stem the first time out after installing the riser, so you may want to reinforce yours now. As far as weight loss..... Good luck... Other than removing guages/lights/parking brake etc. I can't think of any practical or cost-efficient way to drop weight.

mutley531

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton, UT
There are some cost effective things you can do to a Mountain Max to make it lighter and perform better. Depending on your priorities, you can loose a few pounds by removing ANYTHING unnecessary. You can get rid of the front bumper and hood hinges and all associated hardware. You can also trash the speedometer and all associated pieces. Maybe the headlight if you never plan on using it. Pretty much get ride of anything you don't NEED. It may not add up to a whole lot, but every piece is worth something. Another cheap weight saver can be a new skid. You can get a used skid for under $300 and save a decent amount and improve the ride.

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
I've currently have 3" risers going up to 8" pivot. have the cables and risers orders and when it comes in I'm going to fab up a mount lower somewhere for the parking brake using a cable stay for the housing I picked up at a bike store. You can always look into that to relocate it but keep your parking brake.

M
Nov 26, 2007
You can remove one link where the sway bar bolts to the trailing arm. If you like how the sled acts without it, you can cut the sway bar out to save weight. Might have to stiffen your shocks with sway bar remove-unhooked.
This will make it easier to throw the sled from side to side-downfall it might make it tipping on the trails. But like i said stiffen up the front ski shocks to find a setting you like.

To strengthen your steering post you can drive a peice of pipe down the steering post.

MPI X-fer kit is a good way to save some weight- adjust transfer. To much can make it trench and a wheelie machine. Play with the settings, there are many.

Gearing down is cheap, and a bonus with the longer track. I used a 20 tooth top gear(my 02 was 21 tooth stock). Made a difference in low end. I think I still have the gear, if you are interested PM me.

A aftermarket hood is a easy way to shed some weight. BR tech has a thrasher hood that is cheap and light.

www.outdoorsupplyonline.com has some good priced light weight trailing arms that have replaceable center section. This is cost effective if you bend alot of trailing arms.

The wide Skis off of a mountain apex-Nytro MTX are a GREAT upgrade. IMO a must.

If you will be adding the 151 track, i would suggest getting a set of anti-ratchet drives. I have a diagram that shows the proper placement of the drivers on the shaft. If you want it PM me your e-mail addy.

www.totallyamaha.com is a great place to find parts-info on those sleds.

Last edited:

mutley531

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton, UT
Just curious, why do you need a park brake? That was the first thing I removed on my Apex when I bought it. Seems like an easy, cheap way to lose weight.

M.M.700 how much for that gear?

and those trailing arms you were talking about are only for polaris the site says.

and i want to keep the park break so my sled doesnt move in the trailor. and its nice for parking down hill.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I have a powermadd 2.5 inch pivot riser with a three inch block. No issues with park brake cable it just needs to be routed right. Transfer kit drops about nine pounds and it rides better. I also put a cat skid in my other mm. Dropped thirty three pounds off of stock and rides awesome. Pipes save a little weight and give you power and the best sounding two stroke on the mountain. Have fun.

Thanks everybody. I got the risers and extended cabels ordered tonight and plan on ordering the castlequesete running boards tomaroe night. Has any body used these before? How do they work? I'm getting the extra wide ones. As for the pipes and track extension my dads gona call his buddy to see if he's got either. But tell me what you guys got for sale I may be interested

Spencer

M
Nov 26, 2007
M.M.700 how much for that gear?

and those trailing arms you were talking about are only for polaris the site says.

and i want to keep the park break so my sled doesnt move in the trailor. and its nice for parking down hill.

Give Jeff at outdoorsupply a call they have them, atleast he still did last year.

About the gear. Before I put my foot in my mouth, let me see if I can locate it. It has been sitting around the garage for a year or two. If I can find it, and you are in the lower 48 I will just mail it two you.
I will PM you when I find it, and to get you mailing addy.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Give Jeff at outdoorsupply a call they have them, atleast he still did last year.

About the gear. Before I put my foot in my mouth, let me see if I can locate it. It has been sitting around the garage for a year or two. If I can find it, and you are in the lower 48 I will just mail it two you.
I will PM you when I find it, and to get you mailing addy.

Outdoor supply does have them for the MM! I almost bought a set myself.

I bought a set of Fabcraft trailing arms and radius rods instead.

100_0491.jpg

100_0492.jpg

100_0489.jpg

100_0488.jpg

100_0487.jpg

MM800

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Body By Northstar Hood

Hood by itself weighs 6#. Compared to complete stock set up of 27#. I have 2 want to sell one. $150.00 each

they will work. i talked to matt castle and he gave me the measurments and they will work. i have a mountain max and my dad has a viper. i measured both and the running boards are the same. my mm is a 97. the newer ones may be different. he said the front of the running boards have to be about 6.5in and atleast 27in long. both the mm and the viper were longer than 27 so i belive they will work.

Premium Features