• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 1 On The Scale

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
25lbs worth of bracing?
The only way to find out the weight is to weigh the 3 sleds with an honest, non biased sledder operating thr scale.
I'll hold my breath for that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The axys don't need any tunnel or bulk head bracing, just a-arms. The cat's do for sure need a tunnel brace, most people seam to do a long bumper. Skidoo well we all know there problems.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
25lbs worth of bracing?

From everything I've seen the Suzuki 800 engines were 20lb heavier than the Polaris 800 CFI engines. I don't think the Ctec 800s are much lighter. although they run only one set of plugs which loses a few lbs in ignition equipment. So we're likely always going to have that gap unless the engine is slimmed down. If that happens something tells me the days of stock reliability with big bores and boost are over for us cat guys. Not sure I want to give that up.

A local shop here has a pre-season open house every year and has a weigh off. Gives a prize away to the winner. Rules are the machines goes on the race car scales full of fluids. Anything else added (bags, tool kit, etc.) is up to the person. Weights written on the board for everyone to see.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The E-start tank on the cat website says 9.9 gal.
Interesting.
I had not noticed the change.
I wonder if the Estart sleds were the ones to receive a lighter fuel tank?
Last time i checked on an Estart sled It was 10.3 or 10.4? A couple yrs ago...

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
A local shop here has a pre-season open house every year and has a weigh off. Gives a prize away to the winner. Rules are the machines goes on the race car scales full of fluids. Anything else added (bags, tool kit, etc.) is up to the person. Weights written on the board for everyone to see.

Is there a place where these weights are posted so a guy can see some of them??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Is there a place where these weights are posted so a guy can see some of them??

Not that I'm aware of. I can maybe take a picture of the board this year and post it. Not real telling since everyone's mods aren't recorded with it, but I guess it gives an idea of how they come in with how sledders actually set them up.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
The only way to find out the weight is to weigh the 3 sleds with an honest, non biased sledder operating thr scale.
I'll hold my breath for that.

I want to see all three weighed as they are built from scratch so we can determine where the weight is. Start with bare chassis, start adding suspension, engine, clutches, chain cases, brakes, bumpers, blah blah blah. Then we would know where the difference is and what the true difference is. I bet chassis to chassis there is not a lot of difference.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
From everything I've seen the Suzuki 800 engines were 20lb heavier than the Polaris 800 CFI engines. I don't think the Ctec 800s are much lighter. although they run only one set of plugs which loses a few lbs in ignition equipment. So we're likely always going to have that gap unless the engine is slimmed down. If that happens something tells me the days of stock reliability with big bores and boost are over for us cat guys. Not sure I want to give that up.

Let's see some pics!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The axys don't need any tunnel or bulk head bracing, just a-arms. The cat's do for sure need a tunnel brace, most people seam to do a long bumper. Skidoo well we all know there problems.

What? I literally broke both rear suspension brackets on my axys just hitting a stump with my track. So they do need some extra bracing. I've never broke a Cat at the rear suspension brackets. But I do think Cat should go back to a thicker gauge metal on the rear tunnel section.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Just going by what I have seen. 30 plus axys only one bent tweaked tunnel, and suspension brackets, same sled that gets raced in hill climbs. Only 4 18 cats in our area and all bent the tunnel on the back section, doing turn outs, or wheelies. But it's a very easy fix with a long bumper.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Honest question,
Does the Axys crunch the tunnel between the driver and suspension like the Pro-ride?
That's expensive to fix! And very common. Most people don't even realize their sled is damaged till i point it out to them.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Regarding the real tunnel section on 18 MC. I had two rides on mine, 70 miles, and rear tunnel bent up like a crinkled pop can (yes that is about how thick the aluminum is now) from simply carrying a Mountain Addiction gas can on it, which I have carried on all of my past sleds with no issues. The dealer had 5 Mountain Cats do the exact same thing.

He even asked Cat do go back to thicker aluminum, which I highly doubt has happened for 19. Needless to say my Alpha will get reinforced with a Rogue rear bumper.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
What? I literally broke both rear suspension brackets on my axys just hitting a stump with my track. So they do need some extra bracing. I've never broke a Cat at the rear suspension brackets. But I do think Cat should go back to a thicker gauge metal on the rear tunnel section.
Those rear suspension brackets are pretty stout. Never seen bracing on the bracket it self usually on the tunnel just in front of or behind the bracket. You probably never hit that same stump in the same way when you had your cat either. There is always a first. No sled holds up to every kind of pact a guy can find.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Regarding the real tunnel section on 18 MC. I had two rides on mine, 70 miles, and rear tunnel bent up like a crinkled pop can (yes that is about how thick the aluminum is now) from simply carrying a Mountain Addiction gas can on it, which I have carried on all of my past sleds with no issues. The dealer had 5 Mountain Cats do the exact same thing.

He even asked Cat do go back to thicker aluminum, which I highly doubt has happened for 19. Needless to say my Alpha will get reinforced with a Rogue rear bumper.

Do not quote or hold me to this but I heard AC changed the rear tunnel section a bit on the 19s - should be stronger. Again I have no confirmation on that, just word from a cat insider.

None the less - I'm adding a rear bumper as well. Primarily to change the looks a bit with the added beef as a bonus.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

"My tunnel bent up simply because I was carrying a mountain addiction gas can."
Please provide pics and proof as to how a gas can caused a tunnel to "bend up?"

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
"My tunnel bent up simply because I was carrying a mountain addiction gas can."
Please provide pics and proof as to how a gas can caused a tunnel to "bend up?"

Don't know what to tell ya. Simple though, bent right behind where the kick-up supports though. I can text you pics if you like and my dealer can if you like of the handful of sleds he had. He submitted them all to AC for warranty claims. Go beat your fist on the rear and you could dent it very easily so 25 lbs. of gas bouncing up and down on the trail is not a shocker.

Last edited:

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Do not quote or hold me to this but I heard AC changed the rear tunnel section a bit on the 19s - should be stronger. Again I have no confirmation on that, just word from a cat insider.

None the less - I'm adding a rear bumper as well. Primarily to change the looks a bit with the added beef as a bonus.

Nope - , not on the 19 M6000 he had in a crate in the yard anyways.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe I misread your post. So did the tunnel bend up or down?
Postin pics is always good.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Maybe I misread your post. So did the tunnel bend up or down?
Postin pics is always good.

I was using an analogy that you may have taken literal. It actual creased in on each side on the top primarily and a little on the sides right where the front mounting rail was for the MA can. I just looked for pics on my phone and I must have deleted as I already traded the sled in and dealer put a new tail section on right after I did.

Premium Features