• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new Boondocker vs new silber

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I'm with Super Dave3 in that I think people are waayyy to quick to bash BD, it's like they just can't wait for an opportunity and half the time its not in context. Just some sort of attempt to down play all the good and exaggerate any potential flaw or hijack a positive thread about BDs performance.

But I disagree with the idea that these forums or threads are not a good way to compare turbos against each other or to gather information about which one to purchase. I mean he(( what other avenues to people have to research. If you just talk with manufacturers your going to get a sales pitch. I don't know of any dealers that carry both or multiple turbo brands to get their input from. Riders typically know a lot about the kit they purchased but usually don't know a lot about the competing kits.

Point is, SW is a great place to gather information, learn about products (the good and the bad), make relevant comparisons and even to influence your purchasing decision. Saying,....

"If a person has to use a forum discussion to base his purchase of a certain turbo kit, maybe a turbo is not in his best interest."

Is kinda complete BS in my opinion.

I agree with most of what you say here. So what your saying is your most likely going to take the opinion of say someone that is a first time turbo buyer with no practical experience. Thats cool, I will take Chris and Erics advice. To each their own.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Boy this is getting interesting.:boxing: I have the Pro with the Silber kit Cory, aka Boston Racing (Next Level Perf.) installed. We will see how it works this weekend against BDs full on kit. This past weekend I rode the BD Pro. It worked extremely well. No hiccups or anything.

Corys install looks extremely clean and very thorough. If the kit works as good as it looks it should rock. I will have to turn the boost down a little to be fair though,:face-icon-small-dis, Jeff is running 10# and I run 12#-13#. Time will tell.:face-icon-small-win

BTW, I have had a few turbos so hopefully my findings will be somewhat "credible".

Sam

Last edited:
J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
So you are taking the opinion of two people that are sponsored and given the equipment they ride? They are probably paid to test and give input on the kits, which to me doesn't at all mean its better than any other kit. I'll take real world experience over someone that is backed by a specific company any day.

Are you also going to buy Burandt's suspension since it has his name on it, it must be the best right?

I still think both are great kits and neither one really wins over the other. But from last years standpoint boondocker was far from being good until the end of the season when they finally released their new mapping. And that is what put a bad taste in my mouth for Boondocker is that they pushed to be the first kits out there and weren't ready for the consumer. So the consumer had to do the testing for BD, and then pay to upgrade to the newest setup. I do agree that their new setup is a great step forward and should make an awesome setup this season.

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
turbos

sorry this went off topic just was making sure are customers will be happy i ran a boondocker this year and ran awesome just wanted to make sure the silbers run awesome to before my buddys put them on thanks and sorry it went into bashing

But if you have ran both i was just making sure the silber ran crisp and clean at real low rpm!

have a good one!

D
Nov 26, 2007
colorado
I sell both Silber and BD products

BD makes good products, I just feel that Silber makes a better one for this application.

We have a customer who has a 2011 we just put a Silber on and his buddy paid Vohk for the fully loaded BD package personally tuned by Vohk. That will give us a good season long comparison There isn't enough snow here to tell the difference in performance anyways.

Right off the bat the BD was $7xxx.00 and the Silber $5xxx.00 Installed.

Dont know why he paid so much but i,ve got $5500 in my BD kit set up by Eric its an 11 with the intercooler update will see how it runs. had a Kid from Nebraska who had a Silber Kit up at RE looks real clean but he was having a DET issue and by the end of the day he blew the turbo had run something threw it not a silber problem something he did on the install. I' ve had three BD turbo's only a few issues.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I can tell you first hand that you will not find a person as committed to putting out a product that he is proud to put his name on as Justin is. Justin is the most committed guy in the business. He has some great guys working with him to put out an outstanding product. He will do everything under the sun to make sure his Silber kits exceed the customers expectations. That should be reason enough to purchase his kits. As far as a big pissing match as to who's kit is better, as far as I'm concerned if the customer is happy with what he bought then thats good enough. So in the end ask yourself, did "I" buy the right kit????? Lets quit bitching about everyone elses kit.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I am really curious to see how they perform agains eachother still though. It's not a right choice or wrong choice as much as a curiosity of what is what. If we're too butt hurt about the results we can always claim its the rider or snow conditions throwing off the results :D

I had a hard time deciding between the two. When it came down to it the major factor was that I live in AK. Meaning I don't have ANY turbo dealerships to take my sled to if there's something wrong with the set up. I need the long distance customer service and Justin has a good reputation for that. Also I ride at sea level and up. Justin's kits are developed at a much lower elevation than BD. BD's tech and set up looked really nice. I love the concept behind the 3d mapping, and ebc. I have heard a lot of good things from their customers this year so far as well.

Knowing what I know now about Justin's customer service, I know I bought the right kit for me regardless of performance (which I am VERY happy with BTW), and I would have gladly paid twice what I did for the kit for the kind of service I'm getting with it.

Last edited:
S
Dec 20, 2007
Service is #1 in any industry.

If i had it to do over again id go Silber. I havent got enought time on my BD kit to say good or bad about it, im sure it will be great as would be the Silber kit. The fact is Silber is selling exceptional service over turbos, which sets him apart from all the rest that just sell turbos with the minimum level of service required. I could have saved 2,000$ on the initial purchase had i went Silber but i was worried the price was to good to be true whereas i didnt know any thing about him at the time. I dig Silbers attitude and think he is defanitely onto the principals that will make him great if he can keep it up and sell his dealers on the same integrity. Thats going to be the challange going forward. Ive worked with some guys that were great at first but were just a flash in the pan and when the going go tuff they dropped off the face of the earth. Im somewhat concerned about that with the guy i recently purchased my kit from. Now that the deal is done the service is sombody elses worry. The service and contact ability I thought i would have is very limited. Not going to give out any names at this point because it may be a case where there are family issues or other problems that limit the guys ability to get back to me on question, but it is a concern.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Turbo

Just got back from riding in 3 to 4 feet of fresh snow. Had both my boondocker and dealers Silber. Super glad I have a tunnel dump on my boondocker as the Silber kit kept bogging on right hand turns and had to keep cleaning it out. Granted it was deep wet snow. Boondocker has superior throttle response by far. Silber kit does make good power once you get through barble on bottom end. Both kits have cold air and both kits are setup respectively just as dealers sent.
I'll keep my boondocker :face-icon-small-hap
My 02 cents

S
Dec 20, 2007
Just got back from riding in 3 to 4 feet of fresh snow. Had both my boondocker and dealers Silber. Super glad I have a tunnel dump on my boondocker as the Silber kit kept bogging on right hand turns and had to keep cleaning it out. Granted it was deep wet snow. Boondocker has superior throttle response by far. Silber kit does make good power once you get through barble on bottom end. Both kits have cold air and both kits are setup respectively just as dealers sent.
My 02 cents

Thats good to hear. Bd has always praised the tunnel dump and i think for good reasons. So are you running the cold air snorkel? Ive been debating cutting a hole in the hood?

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Cold air

Sledwolf I built a custom cold air intake last season that ties into stock airbox. I don't like cutting into my hood. I'll take a picture

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
This thread is almost about the same topic, I started couple weeks ago. anyway, when I added aerocharger into the discussion then I didn´t get any response.

So just to spice up this thread, what do you guys feel about the aerocharger kit

Also I feel when you are trying get information about a product, you have to read a little between the lines. It is always nice to get a opinion from a pro like Burandt or Rasmussen or any pro rider that has a huge amount of experience, but you can´t take there answers as the holy truth because they well always advertise there sponsors products as the best stuff.

In motor sport in general this is one of the biggest problems, The cost of riding for a living is so high, that you have to have sponsors and then you are not 100% neutral when you have a say about what is best and whats not.

I live in Iceland, and there is not a lot of experience with tuning stuff and only a couple sleds have a turbo and they run so and so, the problem there is no tuning industry in Iceland, so if I want to get a knowledge about a product I just go to the forums and maybe contact the tuning shops and then try to take a well thought decision from all the information I have.

thanks for reading

P.S. I have talked with Rasmussen and I have a huge respect for him, but he was all about promoting is sponsors.

Last edited:
A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
This thread is almost about the same topic, I started couple weeks ago. anyway, when I added aerocharger into the discussion then I didn´t get any response.
So just to spice up this thread, what do you guys feel about the aerocharger kit

I think you should talk with Tyler. He seems to be a great resource for Aerocharger. He posted video of his setup which is awesome. You can see and hear how it runs. I think it's a strong set up!! I am trying to get out with him for a demo ride. If we can get it set up, I'll be sure to let you know how it runs.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291584

Last edited:
A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
My 02 cents

I just got back from my second outing with my BD Pro. The break in is over and this kit is incredible!! I lowered my octane some and the temps were pretty cold but I was pulling 94 MPH down the trail with more throttle available. The bottom end is very crisp and clean. My boost was set at 8lbs. time to start turning it up:face-icon-small-hap
I have not hit the det sensor nor have I had any problems with over reving.

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
I just got back from my second outing with my BD Pro. The break in is over and this kit is incredible!! I lowered my octane some and the temps were pretty cold but I was pulling 94 MPH down the trail with more throttle available. The bottom end is very crisp and clean. My boost was set at 8lbs. time to start turning it up:face-icon-small-hap
I have not hit the det sensor nor have I had any problems with over reving.

2nd ride on new sled or 2nd ride since adding turbo? Did you start out at 8lbs? What elevation are you riding and how close were boondocker installed numbers? I assume your running the boondocker clutching with 70g weights, what were you reving?

Sorry for all the questions, got my kit installed on a 12 that was broke in prior to the turbo and heading to togwotee wednesday for its mayden voyage.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
2nd ride on new sled or 2nd ride since adding turbo? Did you start out at 8lbs? What elevation are you riding and how close were boondocker installed numbers? I assume your running the boondocker clutching with 70g weights, what were you reving?
Sorry for all the questions, got my kit installed on a 12 that was broke in prior to the turbo and heading to togwotee wednesday for its mayden voyage.

No worries, happy to help. Here are the numbers I was running.
4300 8 10 0
5100 9 11 14
5900 21 26 32
6700 27 36 34
7500 27 37 38
8300 25 36 36
8500 26 36 39
This was my second ride on a new 2012 Pro. I took last years BD turbo off my 2011 Pro, added the new intercooler, 3* timing key and the new progressive ebc. I ran my first ride at 8lbs with 50% VP110 and 50% premium. My second ride I ran 75% Sunoco 100 and 25% premium. So my octane was lower.
I started at 8,100 ft and ran to 10,700. My clutching is whatever Max at Tri City Polaris put on there last year when the kit was on my 2011. (I know I should know) but I always just let Max take my sled and whatever he brings back is what I ride. I was pulling hard right to 8300. I plan on moving to about 12lbs now that the sled is broken in and things are running well. That's probably going to change my clutching but I anticipated that. Max has some new weights that are supposed to be awesome so I'll be letting him work his magic. If you want me to find out what's on there send me a pm and I'll find out tomorrow.

Premium Features