• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

acceptable weight difference?

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
what would an acceptable difference in weights be? i was bored yesterday ( cause of lack of snow) and was weighing some stock cat weights. i weighted all my 85 grams and were out as high as 0.30 grams. doesnt seem like much but i thought i would ask. i had some old 68's there and they were as much as 1 gram out... that seems like way too much. i grinded very little off to get them to match in weight.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The closer the better. It probably doesn't make a ton of differeence but, you definately want all your clutch weights transfering their fair share of the load.

Good work on weighing them. I do the same thing.

Maybe we're just freaks? :eek:

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
I have done the same thing with both Cat and Polaris none are right on . So I grind the tips also

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i dont grind to match..i spot weld the lighter one till its heavier and then grind it..its all on page "sucker" in your manual

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
I grind them like this...

clutchweights1.jpg

clutchweights2.jpg

Just kidding, this was after a broken spider in the primary seized a roller and wouldnt let one of the weights move for months... almost looks stock! haha

S

spudman720

Jan 7, 2008
Sugar City, ID.
I use a relaoding scale for weighing gun powder to balance mine. A 1/2 gram out of balance 4 inches out from the end of the crank equates to 42 lbs of out of balance at 4000 rpm and over 100 at 8000 rpm.

Premium Features