• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I part it or fix it?

H
Jan 10, 2009
I have been getting out of the sport, I have a 2001 800 Mountain Cat that I locked up last season and just opened it up today. It has 2 cracked pistons and I can see a quarter sized hole punched through the bottom of the crankcase. My problem is that even if I do fix it I know I will not ride it very much, it is gonna sit and I know that it is worth nothing broken. Is parting out this thing on the forum gonna be worth my trouble?

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
I have been getting out of the sport, I have a 2001 800 Mountain Cat that I locked up last season and just opened it up today. It has 2 cracked pistons and I can see a quarter sized hole punched through the bottom of the crankcase. My problem is that even if I do fix it I know I will not ride it very much, it is gonna sit and I know that it is worth nothing broken. Is parting out this thing on the forum gonna be worth my trouble?

Sounds like a lot of work and time making trips to ship stuff. Not to mention packaging everything you sell and what not.
I bet there is someone with a motor just waiting for a chassis like that. I would advertise it on here in the swapmeet and see what happens. You would probably get a little more by parting it out but far less hassle.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I debated this last year on an Arctic Cat that we blew the top end out. At first when you have the high demand parts, the time spent shipping and boxing up was a pain. But with that said I think it was worth it if you are not in a hurry to make your money back. The sled I parted out was worth $1300 in good working order. I accepted reasonable offers and ebayed a few parts. I am over $1000 a year later and still have some good parts left. Unfortunately you have to pick fair shipping costs these days. Living in a mountain area and selling a short track did not work out for us but the flatlanders picked up parts left and right.

Do it if you have spare time! You will get more money out of parting it out VS selling it blown up.

Premium Features