• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1989 Indy 500 Troubles

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
Looking for some advise. Machine has been stored for 5-6 years. Cleaned up, new gas, replaced fuel/oil lines, cleaned carbs. Pre mixed the fuel to give it alittle extra oil after such a long down time. Starts up but idles really fast and smokes alot. I keep getting a black liquid,(kinda gassy) in the crank breather line leading to the fuel pump. Good compression on both cylinders, both side firing. Do you think Im drawing in coolant past a bad gasket? Maybe bad top or bottom head gasket? It doesnt seem to be pulling in the injector oil either. I was hoping to download a manual for it but have had no luck yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G
Jan 5, 2011
Rochester MN
the line is your pulse line to run the fuel pump. could be a bad pump letting fuel into the line or maybe a seal in the bottem end. For the oil when you remove the lines you need to bleed the air out of the lines. There is a small screw on the top of the pump, loosen and let the oil run until all the air bubbles are gone.

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
Thanks I will try and bleed the oil pump and lines with that screw. The fuel pump seems to be working, I can see fuel being delivered to the carbs. That pulse line should be empty all the time though, right?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The impulse line is just tapped into the crank case so it is possible for some of the air/fuel/oil mixture that is in the crank case to go into the line. I have never really looked to see if it is perfectly dry or not.

Fast idle can be caused by lean fuel mixture at idle, partially plugged or wrong pilot jets, idle screws turned up too much, leaking crank case seals, maladjusted pilot air screw. Does the sled idle down if you flip the choke on halfway?

I wouldn't worry too much about the excessive smoke especially when it is cold. It is usually caused by too much gas or too much oil. On rare occasions it could be caused by sucking coolant into the engine. Is your coolant level stable?

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
I know the carbs are set up proberly as it was running well when I stored it and I made sure not to change anything when I cleaned the carbs. Yes it does idle down if I blip the choke but quickly idles back up. It might be using abit of coolant but because I changed out all the coolant Im not sure if its just trapped air finding its way back to the bottle. I havent let it run that long because of the excessive idle, it really revs out. How likely could it be that one of the two head gaskets are leaking and causing the high idle?

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
give it time! and run it for a day or so and check coolant level often. if it goes down at all! and no sign of any leaks out side. running it will give off a sweet smell and you will get droplets out of the pipe if it is leaking from a head.
the 500 i very nitrous at sending oil back to the pump. it is a good Idea to raise the pump just above the line that the pules is on from the motor ( note most have been done) but some have not. this was a fix that was in a service manual up date at the time the new year started.
:face-icon-small-hap

Looking for some advise. Machine has been stored for 5-6 years. Cleaned up, new gas, replaced fuel/oil lines, cleaned carbs. Pre mixed the fuel to give it alittle extra oil after such a long down time. Starts up but idles really fast and smokes alot. I keep getting a black liquid,(kinda gassy) in the crank breather line leading to the fuel pump. Good compression on both cylinders, both side firing. Do you think Im drawing in coolant past a bad gasket? Maybe bad top or bottom head gasket? It doesnt seem to be pulling in the injector oil either. I was hoping to download a manual for it but have had no luck yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
Thanks CM, it is puking out alot of condensation from the pipe and it idles way to fast to actually drive the machine, its almost pegging itself. Does anyone have a online manual I could down load or maybe email me the motor break down. I think Im just going to pull the cylinder head and check the gaskets but would like a bit of a discription to reference. Could a bad crank seal cause high idle??

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yes, bad crank seals could cause the high idle for sure. To check them spray some WD40 or similar product down on the seals with the engine running. If they are leaking the speed will change.

This sounds like a carb slide is hung up. Maybe it would be a good idea to inspect the carbs again to make sure everything is normal on both carbs.

You didn't mention if you have inspected the carb boots for cracks. Also make sure the carbs are seated in the boots and one side of the boot has not folded in on itself instead of going on the outside of the carb.

I don't think a leaking head gasket would cause this but a compression test would tell you.

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
Ill try the WD 40 thing on the crank seal. Will that work on the carb boots also? I looked them over good and they seem ok. The carbs seem ok, I run two separate foam filters and I have them off so I can see the slides moving up and down. The compresson is 105 and 100, so I thought that was ok?? Would the compression be ok if it was the bottom gasket? (between cylinder and crank) With the way it smokes and the amount of condensation Im getting out the pipe I keep thinking its got to be a the bottom head gasket. The smoke is more white then your normal blueish color which makes me think its the bottom head gasket.

Premium Features