• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Soapstone Washington Lake Report 1/6/19

S
Jan 8, 2018
Braved the storm this morning and headed up to Soapstone parking lot. Roads were snow packed, but the plow was running up and down so it wasn't to bad. Roads (Parleys) was a lot worse on the way home. Headed up ML Highway and took FR 41 up to Washington lake. We were the first ones up the trail. It was a little bumpy, but the higher we go the more snow was on the trail and smoothed it out. Turned off the trail and went up into the Washington lake overflow and MAN IT WAS DEEP. I would say 2-3 feet of untouched and it was snowing hard. My wife got a little stuck so we headed back to the trail. Didn't get off the trail and play much. I was still a little nervous. This storm will help a bunch.
I have a question for you guys that frequent that area often. Do you guys get off and play on the frozen lakes?? Seems to me the ice should be about 5' thick and safe. I saw plenty of tracks, but thought I would ask from those who know. Wouldn't have to worry about rocks and stumps.
Thanks all and we'll catch you next week.
Rob

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Riding the lakes...

The lakes above 9000' are frozen up for the most part, But there are several warm springs that are not covered up yet and will put you over the bars if you aren't watching...might be better by now:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features