• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 summitt 800 carb problems

C
Jun 7, 2016
Ionia Michigan
Hi I am new to the forum and also new to the turbo world, but I need some help and that leads me to you guys lol
I am building an 01 summit 800 for drags
Stock carbs (for now) with power jets
3071 turbo
Msd fuel pump
Return fuel regulator set at 3psi at idle
Greylor oil pump
Head cut for lower compression (I'm at sea level)
114. oct fuel
And more things I'm probably forgetting but my problem is iv tryed jetting from 370 main to 420 mains with power jets in every spot and can not get it to run even decent
I'm starting to think it might be the dpm so I don't know if I have my carb vent lines hooked up properly.
The Vents At the top Of The Carbs (I Believe for the dpm) I think is my problem
When hooked to the charge box runs but not very clean
When capped runs extremely rich like blowing fuel out the pipe
When left open hooked to nothing it runs extremely lean whent up to 470 mains and choke open and still wanted to cut out
So I'm stuck and need some help anything is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Also the lower vent lines where hooked to the charge box the hole time

C
Jun 7, 2016
Ionia Michigan
Got it running it ended up being the dpm senser wasn't plugged in lol
I still have a sputter on the bottom end but it cleans up an build boost
I'm at sea level
17.5 pilots
Needle in the stock location with the shim under the clip
390 mains
Power jets 3 turns out
Runs but not good enough yet

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
When DPM fails it goes full rich. DPM is purely an enleanment system, it only leans across the entire fuel curve from your baseline jetting. Sorry if you know this already. It has a max temp and elevation in the MPEM, 10k feet and something like 75 degrees F (sorry, don't recall the precise temp).

You can also test the DPM device itself to verify it can operate with a 9v battery and a paper clip, motor off. Unplug it, use the 9v and a wire/paper clip inserted to the hot wire and you'll hear, and feel, it click as you connect. Hose connections are crucial for it to work when running the sled, and they must be open and free of fuel sitting in them.

I do believe most/all hill climb racers disabled DPM back in the day, and jetted to relative air density during runs. In 04, doo even offered a non-DPM summit 151 for those who were modding, and racing, summits, without DPM. DPM worked better than any of the other non-EFI systems devised for air and altitude adjustments, but still had limitations within the MPEM. But even some mod sleds could use DPM. I built an 04 ported, piped, and head cut Summit that ran well with DPM, after extensive jetting changes. My 2000 and 2001 Summits were stock, and DPM worked perfectly, but they were not raced. Be aware, also, that summit MPEMs and MXZ MPEMs had different fuel curves, if you're swapping MPEMs and running DPM. Just fewer gremlins to chase. Good luck.

Last edited:
Premium Features