• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'98 700 front end issues

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I recently put a set of holz trailing arms on my '98 700 rmk. Now I'm having fitment issues, the shock mount on the trailing arms is 3/8" further back from the radius rod mounts than the stock arms, ( 7/8" vs 1 1/4")now the shock springs are touching the tie rods. The stock steering arms are 3 5/8" from the center of the spindle to the center of the tie rod end, so to regain my clearance I would need to use a steering arm thats 3/8" longer, but then it's going to screw up the turning radius and possibly cause fitment issues exiting the bulkhead. Are there different length steering arms used on different models? Would an edge steering arm be longer for example? I may have to put the stock trailing arms back on and that would be annoying because it's taken me a long time to find a set of holz arms for my sled. Any ideas guys?

edit: I made these measurements from the shock mount forward to the spindle, now that I realize the spindle is a different castor angle from a stocker I see where I screwed up.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
OK round 2, I pulled a holz arm off and compared it directly to the stocker on the bench. They are exactly the same length, the same length from the rear mounting bolt to where the shock bolts up and the same length from the rear bolt to where the radius rods bolt up. What IS different is the castor angle of the spindle, its steeper/less angle than the stocker, which moves the tie rod closer to the shock and causes the binding. A longer steering arm will cure this but it will also change the steering radius. I measured an edge steering arm and they are the same length as a gen 2 or wedge. I'm thinking holz must have used a different steering arm, there own, not a stocker. Can anyone confirm this?? and if so does anyone know where I can get a set? I am probably going to have to make my own steering arms, but it would be nice if someone knows whats going on here and has some advice for me. Thanks Jay

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
3rd and final round. After 3 hours in the shop fabing a set of steering arms and much measuring, cursing, assembling and disassembling I came to a very simple solution. Turn the stock steering arms upside down and bolt the tie rod on the top of the arm, everything fits, everything lines up and lots of clearance. :face-icon-small-dis So if anyone needs to do this, there ya go.

Premium Features