• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climate change

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I agree, but must add two comments....
1 Improvements must be economically feasible.
2 Most importantly, Your premise that skeptics are pro-pollution is incorrect.

I will go so far as to say man's actions likely do affect global temperature, however my belief is that this is immeasurable. Much like when you get into a swimming pool, your body heat is absorbed by the pool water, technically this has increased water temperature, but not by a measurable or meaningful amount.

Someone has never been in a pool with a bunch of other people...

Reality doesn't care what you believe.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I agree, but must add two comments....
1 Improvements must be economically feasible.
2 Most importantly, Your premise that skeptics are pro-pollution is incorrect.
Of course...I don’t think anyone in here is suggesting/supporting measures that would tube economies. You are making the jump from “believes humans do have negative effects on the climate” to “eco-terrorist” way too easily. Eveyone here snowmobiles....so that alone should tell you no one is in the later camp.

It’s not necessarily that I think skeptics are “pro pollution,” but rather that they are more committed to the skepticism itself, and staying the course ...rather than looking for solutions and trying new things. We’ve already covered a lot of that in this thread. Phasing out coal energy? Stupid. EPA? Stupid. Hybrid and electric cars? Stupid. Solar/wind farms? Stupid.

“I don’t know what to do...but I know I don’t like any of these ideas” doesn’t accomplish much. Know what I’m sayin?

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Someone has never been in a pool with a bunch of other people...

Reality doesn't care what you believe.

Reality LOL. , Yours is apparently only the past 200 years or so. Conveniently turning a blind eye to the radical weather changes that the planet has experienced over the last million 5 million , 10 million ???????
And yes , unnecessary waste and abuse of our resources or the vegetation or water or the skies should certainly be considered and discouraged.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Reality LOL. , Yours is apparently only the past 200 years or so. Conveniently turning a blind eye to the radical weather changes that the planet has experienced over the last million 5 million , 10 million.
Honest question,

Do you truly believe that climate scientists would not consider the above while researching this topic? Like somehow they missed the idea of considering historical events part of the data? And not just a few of them...like lots and lots from countries all over the world.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Honest question,

Do you truly believe that climate scientists would not consider the above while researching this topic? Like somehow they missed the idea of considering historical events part of the data? And not just a few of them...like lots and lots from countries all over the world.

No I don’t believe they would not consider the above. But I do believe they would only use the data that supports their stance. Honest question back at you , do you truly believe that lots and lots of climate scientists from all,over the world who have totally debunked the global warming/climate change didn’t consider all the same data ?

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
So, an individual using intelligent dialogue, backed by sound research and knowledge is pontificating. This coming from one of the most biggly ,hugely pontificators on this forum. Believe it or not this one of the things I like about you ,Trump has the qualities, I would digress but like I have said before Trump is a comedian that keeps me in stitches. Now now keep your shirt on- if you can't stand the roasting for calling me a pig than get out of the limelight.:face-icon-small-win

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
No I don’t believe they would not consider the above. But I do believe they would only use the data that supports their stance. Honest question back at you , do you truly believe that lots and lots of climate scientists from all,over the world who have totally debunked the global warming/climate change didn’t consider all the same data ?

I don’t. Unfortunately the odds aren’t in their favour, but it’s something to consider of course. If we want to play conspiracy theories...or people tailoring results, the easiest thing to do is follow the money. And there is definitely more money on big oil’s side than....any other side ever.

For me tho (not knowing jack all on the science end)....my logic is that there is simply no way we arent having measurable effects on the climate/environment. There are too many of us, and we do a lot of stuff, and F with nature a lot. Will it kill us all in 20 years? 50 years? Doubt it. Might it someday kill us all or make life seriously miserable? Seems plausible....but more than that, it seems like something I’d rather not mess with or find out. Is it something we need to work on? Absolutely.

That’s where I’m at.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
So, an individual using intelligent dialogue, backed by sound research and knowledge is pontificating. This coming from one of the most biggly ,hugely pontificators on this forum. Believe it or not this one of the things I like about you ,Trump has the qualities, I would digress but like I have said before Trump is a comedian that keeps me in stitches. Now now keep your shirt on- if you can't stand the roasting for calling me a pig than get out of the limelight.:face-icon-small-win

Well I think you’re gonna be laughing for quite a while, cause he is so getting voted back in , better get used to,it.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho

I can't help but note that we have yet to see you post any studies from these "lots and lots of scientists" that have totally debunked climate change.

All we've gotten is a facebook video and a picture of low tide. That looks like cherry picking to me.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
If he does,I will-much the same as I am laughing at you right now.
Ok ,I'm done slinging mud,lets get back to the topic.

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I don’t. Unfortunately the odds aren’t in their favour, but it’s something to consider of course. If we want to play conspiracy theories...or people tailoring results, the easiest thing to do is follow the money. And there is definitely more money on big oil’s side than....any other side ever.

For me tho (not knowing jack all on the science end)....my logic is that there is simply no way we arent having measurable effects on the climate/environment. There are too many of us, and we do a lot of stuff, and F with nature a lot. Will it kill us all in 20 years? 50 years? Doubt it. Might it someday kill us all or make life seriously miserable? Seems plausible....but more than that, it seems like something I’d rather not mess with or find out. Is it something we need to work on? Absolutely.

That’s where I’m at.

There's nothing in this post that will get an argument from me.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
People are trying to get Lake Erie the same rights as a human which would allow people to sue on the lake's behalf.
The fallout from this is that this would negatively affect industry in Toledo. Contrary to what a few of you believe, I very much care about what we are dumping in our lakes and oceans.
Furthermore, one of the environment issues we should address is plastcs.
A manufacturer or the buyer should bear the cost of recycling or properly disposal of their product at the end of it's life.
This may not be practical for every product, but if enforced would promote the use of more recyclable or biodegradable materials.
My pet peeve...containers. Why can't we pay a few more pennies to get stuff in cartons rather than plastic bottles?

I realize that this confuses a few of you that believe that because I denounce global warming I am supposed to love pollution.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
If he does,I will-much the same as I am laughing at you right now.
Ok ,I'm done slinging mud,lets get back to the topic.

Lol, I bet it’s a kind of nervous laughter ! And I’m not mud slinging , i’m Forecasting !

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=phaBUQ3NU1w

I know , I know, It’s not out of a book so it doesn’t count . LOL.

I thought you were against people shilling for money.

This guy is funny, thanks.

I mean, he has no credibility, but he's funny. Citing 100 year old research to prove something that took off relatively recently doesn't really work. In fact, if you again, actually read what I posted, you'll see that some of those effects make it into the studies. They talk about natural and artificial forcing factors. Natural factors would indeed have cooling influences at the moment. That's why it's all the more damning that temperatures are not going down, despite what you believe.

Yeah, he thinks these solutions are not enough to combat climate change. I don't necessarily disagree with him, but I doubt you really listened to the interview.

He's not quite saying anything I think you would agree with.
It's hilarious that the quote you pick to agree with is basically slamming capitalism.

Try it with context, since you're allergic to the written word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1EB1zsxW0k

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d1EB1zsxW0k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
I thought you were against people shilling for money.

This guy is funny, thanks.

I mean, he has no credibility, but he's funny. Citing 100 year old research to prove something that took off relatively recently doesn't really work. In fact, if you again, actually read what I posted, you'll see that some of those effects make it into the studies. They talk about natural and artificial forcing factors. Natural factors would indeed have cooling influences at the moment. That's why it's all the more damning that temperatures are not going down, despite what you believe.

!

Yeah, he thinks these solutions are not enough to combat climate change. I don't necessarily disagree with him, but I doubt you really listened to the interview.

He's not quite saying anything I think you would agree with.
It's hilarious that the quote you pick to agree with is basically slamming capitalism.

Try it with context, since you're allergic to the written word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1EB1zsxW0k

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d1EB1zsxW0k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL, Ok ! I give ! We disagree. It’s very obvious you are convinced totally the 97 % of the subsidized and govt sponsored climate scientists are 100 % correct. I believe the biggest factor in the global scare campaign is the money made by the major players and proponents . That’s great , carry on in your condescending manner and keep reading . Me ; Out !

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
LOL, Ok ! I give ! We disagree. It’s very obvious you are convinced totally the 97 % of the subsidized and govt sponsored climate scientists are 100 % correct. I believe the biggest factor in the global scare campaign is the money made by the major players and proponents . That’s great , carry on in your condescending manner and keep reading . Me ; Out !

Thanks, I'll keep reading.
It's a sad reflection on you that you think that's an insult.

If you took your car to 100 mechanics, and 97 of them said your oil pump was going out, and 3 said it would be fine, what would you do?

Sure, the 3 could be right, but what is the likelihood, and what are the consequences if they are wrong?

I don't understand the people that think so many people are willing to lie for (imagined, for the most part) money. Would you lie in that situation?

Just more projection.

I will apologize a little bit for the condescension, if you'll acknowledge that it's hardly been one sided.

Premium Features