• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powderlites Turbo Nytro MTX install thread

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
This fall I picked up an 08 Nytro MTX. The sled had 67 km's on it so pretty much brand new. The plan was to run it stock for the season but I found a new but used Powderlites stage 2 kit on Ty4stroke.com and decided to pull the pin on it.

The sled is somewhat of a "budget" build. Im not cutting any corners but I can't justify doing any more than the bare minimum to get this thing running. Next year I plan on doing some more stuff, hopefully by then the Canadian dollar will have recovered a bit.

Powderlites Stage 2 kit
Camo Extreme 162x15x2.5 track
Avid CNC drivers
Apex 162 rails
Stock Apex torsion springs
Frame stiffener update
Rear shock from Venture MP

After getting jerked around by Purolator i finally got my turbo kit in. The box wasnt exactly in mint shape so i was a bit leary as to what I would find inside. It looks like the only thing that got a bit of a road rash was my intercooler. Doesn't look to be anything major and hopefully it will bend back ok without breaking. The price you pay when buying second hand, although im a happy man since i saved around $1600 from what it would be for me to buy that kit from Powderlites right now. UPDATE: After mentioning to Darren from Powderlites that my intercooler was damaged, he offered to take it back with him (I was at the Edmonton snow show) and will be shipping it out next week once it is repaired. I am really happy with the customer service so far, its nice to see some decent service in a day and age when it seems that nobody gives a crap. Thanks guys.

Here is the complete turbo kit. As you can see it has a lot of pieces and is supposed to be a complete kit. That's refreshing because I know exactly how much the little stuff adds up from when I did the custom kit on my Honda Civic. The instructions that come with the kit(via email) are pretty vague for someone who isn't doing these kits on a daily basis. UPDATED: I received the new install instructions and I must say they look to be very thorough.

IMGP1831 [1024x768].jpg

Last edited:

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Two days ago, I started the tear down. I wanted to get the engine out because I am going to be bringing it up to work with me on Wednesday. The plan is to do the head shim and cam timing up there while im working two weeks, and then i can just get right to reinstalling the engine when i get back. Followed by the turbo kit shortly after. Then last but not least the new track, drivers, and rails.

I am definitely impressed with the way this thing comes apart. It is a pain to get the engine out because of the rider forward position, but nothing is overly complicated to do and can be done with basic hand tools.

When the subframe is off, I will be installing subframe stiffeners which were purchased from T-Nytro. They are water cut plates designed to mimic the 09 subframe update pieces and were very reasonable. You can install them with the subframe off, just PM him about it and he can fill you in on the details.

plasticoff.jpg headlightoff3.jpg airbox_off2.jpg subframe1.jpg subframe2.jpg subframe_off.jpg subframe_off2.jpg

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
Make sure you ask about the turbo bracket and I would also make a cover for the rear tunnel Dave said he did not think it would be a problem. But there is no way I would run my sled with a exsposed turbo to the track.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Make sure you ask about the turbo bracket and I would also make a cover for the rear tunnel Dave said he did not think it would be a problem. But there is no way I would run my sled with a exsposed turbo to the track.

They will be sending out the updated pieces with my repaired intercooler. They are supposed to make the install that much easier.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
one last thing the hole in the tunnel on the right hand side of the tunnel wher the hindle comes needs to be checked closely I had to modify mine.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
one last thing the hole in the tunnel on the right hand side of the tunnel wher the hindle comes needs to be checked closely I had to modify mine.

Thanks for the heads up. I was tossing around the idea of spinning the pipe 180 so that the exhaust outlet points upwards. I see there are two tabs to hook a spring to, where did those get hooked to and what springs did you use?

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
This fall I picked up an 08 Nytro MTX. The sled had 67 km's on it so pretty much brand new. The plan was to run it stock for the season but I found a new but used Powderlites stage 2 kit on Ty4stroke.com and decided to pull the pin on it.

The sled is somewhat of a "budget" build. Im not cutting any corners but I can't justify doing any more than the bare minimum to get this thing running. Next year I plan on doing some more stuff, hopefully by then the Canadian dollar will have recovered a bit.

Powderlites Stage 2 kit
Camo Extreme 162x15x2.5 track
Avid CNC drivers
Apex 162 rails
Stock Apex torsion springs
Frame stiffener update
Rear shock from Venture MP

After getting jerked around by Purolator i finally got my turbo kit in. The box wasnt exactly in mint shape so i was a bit leary as to what I would find inside. It looks like the only thing that got a bit of a road rash was my intercooler. Doesn't look to be anything major and hopefully it will bend back ok without breaking. The price you pay when buying second hand, although im a happy man since i saved around $1600 from what it would be for me to buy that kit from Powderlites right now. UPDATE: After mentioning to Darren from Powderlites that my intercooler was damaged, he offered to take it back with him (I was at the Edmonton snow show) and will be shipping it out next week once it is repaired. I am really happy with the customer service so far, its nice to see some decent service in a day and age when it seems that nobody gives a crap. Thanks guys.

Here is the complete turbo kit. As you can see it has a lot of pieces and is supposed to be a complete kit. That's refreshing because I know exactly how much the little stuff adds up from when I did the custom kit on my Honda Civic. The instructions that come with the kit(via email) are pretty vague for someone who isn't doing these kits on a daily basis. UPDATED: I received the new install instructions and I must say they look to be very thorough.

hi Steeve, sorry to know purolator messed up.....:mad:
happy to know everything is still in good shap....just want to let you know again that the kit wasn't second hand kit was a brand new kit never installed.
hope you enjoy as much as i do a t-nytro!

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
hi Steeve, sorry to know purolator messed up.....:mad:
happy to know everything is still in good shap....just want to let you know again that the kit wasn't second hand kit was a brand new kit never installed.
hope you enjoy as much as i do a t-nytro!

Ya i know its new, i guess i worded it funny when i said new but used in my first post. What i meant was that it was second hand but still brand new.

No worries on purolator, these things happen.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Exhaust springs

The spring loops on the Hindle pipe are not used. The pipe is a friction fit with the rubber strap wraping the pipe to secure. My hindle is mounted upside down so I can pack fuel back there works well, but you will definately notice an increase in noise while riding. Sean

J

jehay

Mar 15, 2008
camrose, alberta
wow you must like wreching good to see you doing it yourself. I had mine installed for me if i did it again i would get dave at powerlites to do it i seen his work PERFECTION and his price is really........Good.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
The spring loops on the Hindle pipe are not used. The pipe is a friction fit with the rubber strap wraping the pipe to secure. My hindle is mounted upside down so I can pack fuel back there works well, but you will definately notice an increase in noise while riding. Sean

do you have a pic of that??

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
I finally got around to doing the head shim and cam timing changes.

Valve cover off:
14.jpg

camshafts out:
15.jpg

Cylinder head:
16.jpg

Block:
17.jpg

camshafts/camshaft caps:
18.jpg

Head shim with spray a gasket on both sides. You split the new head gasket into two pieces and sandwich the head shim in between:
19.jpg

Head retorqued. You need to torque it to 18 ft lbs in proper sequence, then losen off and retorque to 18 ft lbs. From there you need to torque the bolts 175-185 degrees. I did this in two steps as per the powderlites instructions but the service manual doesnt say anything about an additional step. If you turn them past the required angle, do not losen and retighten, you will need to replace the bolt and redo the tightening sequence:
20.jpg

Setting camshafts to match powderlites cam degree shim:
21.jpg

Cam gear holes made bigger on exhaust side to change advance the cam. Intake side requires you to retard the cam by 1 tooth so no grinding required:
22.jpg

This picture shows the change in cam position after the overlap has been removed. Notice the small holes on the top of the cam. With factory timing those holes would line up with the line on the cam caps.
23.jpg

Last edited:

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Loco...What updated peices are you talking about?

I just got mine done Thurs and fired her up...gonna be fun!

BL

I am up north working for a couple of weeks, so i dont know exactly what the pieces are. Your best bet is to talk to Darren or Dave at powderlites to confirm exactly what they are.

I do have a picture the gf sent me the other day. its not very good so im not 100% sure what parts are in the package. Disregard the intercooler, it was sent in for repair due to damage by purolator.

I think there is a new aluminum airbox bracket, new airbox intake pipe, the new turbo hanger is now 3 pieces, and there are a couple other small brackets parts i cant make out from the picture.

Device MemoryhomeuserpicturesIMG00019.jpg

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
Thanks for the response. I must have the updated kit. My istallation went pretty well, though I need to adjust the entry angle on the front boost tube...ok but could be better. Also, I'm not real happy with the dryer vent intake tube, pretty cheesy for a kit of this caliber.

BL

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Thanks for the response. I must have the updated kit. My istallation went pretty well, though I need to adjust the entry angle on the front boost tube...ok but could be better. Also, I'm not real happy with the dryer vent intake tube, pretty cheesy for a kit of this caliber.

BL

did you take any pictures of your install? What do you mean by changing the angle? which way do you need to adjust it?

K

khk

Dec 3, 2007
Underwood WA
Going to start my install on Friday this will help with the head shim thanks for taking the time to take pic's and post them this is some good stuff keep it coming :)

Premium Features