• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 F250

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
80-img_5253_fed9d9ebd8dd99ed7bf0fef38ab86ff81a71888d.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
For most of us, money kinda matters. 2017 Dmax 3500 Denali's CC long box SRW's can be had for 61ish right now. That's a pretty big gap to an 18 SD. But, it's a SD...

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
For most of us, money kinda matters. 2017 Dmax 3500 Denali's CC long box SRW's can be had for 61ish right now. That's a pretty big gap to an 18 SD. But, it's a SD...

you can find well equipped 2-17 super duties in the low 60's right now.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
No kidding. I was looking at a 2017 F150 and they still wanted somewhere around $44k in my neck of the woods. Which is comical because I was looking at the same thing back in May in SD for close to $40k. It is pretty tempting to put 1,000 miles on a new truck if I can save 4-5k. Needless to say anyone who happens to have a 2017/2016 F150 with low miles (no 2.7L) for sale lemme know :D

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
No kidding. I was looking at a 2017 F150 and they still wanted somewhere around $44k in my neck of the woods. Which is comical because I was looking at the same thing back in May in SD for close to $40k. It is pretty tempting to put 1,000 miles on a new truck if I can save 4-5k. Needless to say anyone who happens to have a 2017/2016 F150 with low miles (no 2.7L) for sale lemme know :D

Tell me first though!!! I just went and looked at a 16 King Ranch with 30k on it and wanted 43. I could buy a new 17 super loaded up Lariet for 49. 6K for a brand new truck over some stitching and badges.....

Still way too much for a pickup.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Tell me first though!!! I just went and looked at a 16 King Ranch with 30k on it and wanted 43. I could buy a new 17 super loaded up Lariet for 49. 6K for a brand new truck over some stitching and badges.....

Still way too much for a pickup.

There is a lot to be said for buying BRAND NEW with FULL WARRANTY if you can find a KILLER DEAL on it!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
These trucks are over 100k out the door up here. I don't know how people can swing it if the truck isn't bringing in money to make the payments.

If you're ordering, get the 176" wheelbase!

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
There is a lot to be said for buying BRAND NEW with FULL WARRANTY if you can find a KILLER DEAL on it!

It has to be a KILLER deal. Even then if I can find one in the 30k range with 40k miles that 15k i save buys a pile of parts and upkeep. Even if I have to ride in a previously owned truck.

My truck doesn't make me money. All it does it costs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It has to be a KILLER deal. Even then if I can find one in the 30k range with 40k miles that 15k i save buys a pile of parts and upkeep. Even if I have to ride in a previously owned truck.

My truck doesn't make me money. All it does it costs.
I hear ya.
Just out of curiosity, how long do you keep your trucks.

I have had my current F250 for 12 years
Had my last one before than for 17 years.

For me, buying new, at a good price, is always the best choice BECAUSE I keep them for so many years and maintain them to last and last.

I just hate buying other people's vehicles.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
unless you loose a motor - then that 15k is gone in a hurry!

Hey, that's not funny. I have the dreaded timing chain slap on this 12 Ecoboost...... You can find a used motor with sub 50k on it for about 4k. Another 2k to put it in..... I've looked at that option.

Chris: I buy when the timing is right and works for me. I'm sub thirty, so not a whole pile of rigs, but I deal enough to be dangerous. Numbers guy through and through, so if I can't make it work on paper I don't do it.
97 Blazer is dead in the weeds ran that 8 years. High school to end of college.
02 GMC 1500 before this 5 years. End of college to two years ago. Guy saw it, had to have it, offered me too much money, told him I needed two weekends to find and buy a new one, gave me a down payment, and I bought this one.
12 F150: Just over two years, have put 70k on it. Love the truck, love the motor (even with the chain slap), hate the interior. Needed to upgrade trim levels, but didn't. Just turned 100k. I was trying to get rid of it before it turned over, but a funeral and life added 4k miles in 6 weeks and I couldn't get it done. Now I'll run it to the 130s (through the winter should get me close) and find someone that needs to have it. If I find a deal I can't live without and the numbers make sense I'll move up to a 14,15, maybe a salesman's 16 with 40k ish on it before hand.

My spiel to every salesman that talks to me in a lot.
Must have: Crew cab, leather, clean, decent pulling gearing. Look them in the eye and say, "The closer to free the better."

I've walked away from three very good deals since July 4th. None of them were the perfect deal that I wanted.... One guy could not believe it that I was happy to walk away from a deal over $500. Full disclosure: I let my ego get in the way of that one..... Should be riding in a black 16 F150 right now. I can't justify to myself that I need a 3/4 ton. Especially a diesel. I know once that bug bites me it's all over.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And i am pretty much just the opposite.
I buy brand new, generally custom ordered, and then KEEP the truck and drive her for a decade or more.

1987 Ford Bronco
250-300K, not sure, lost count after I rebuilt the Dash board.
Burned through 3 motors in 17 years.

2005 F250
I think I am just past 225K and climbing.

Ready now for a new 2018 that I will probably drive into my late 60's when I am guessing my truck days may finally come to an end.

This will be the one "Nice High End" truck of my lifetime.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
And i am pretty much just the opposite.
I buy brand new, generally custom ordered, and then KEEP the truck and drive her for a decade or more.

1987 Ford Bronco
250-300K, not sure, lost count after I rebuilt the Dash board.
Burned through 3 motors in 17 years.

2005 F250
I think I am just past 225K and climbing.

Ready now for a new 2018 that I will probably drive into my late 60's when I am guessing my truck days may finally come to an end.

This will be the one "Nice High End" truck of my lifetime.
...thought that way (late sixties) when i was young also....almost 73 now, just bought a new mtn. cat, and my F-250 i ordered just arrived, not getting older, just starting over again..:face-icon-small-hap :face-icon-small-hap

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Chris,

I'm not normally a 200k+ guy with my truck, but I'm considering it with my current rig. My question for you - where do you think you're at with trade-in value, or do you plan to keep your truck? I have a '08 F-350 long box King Ranch with 150k that I have finally got "just the way I like it". It's got the DPF/cat delete with H&S tunes, locker rear end, winch front bumper, newly rebuilt top end (thanks, sticky injector #7!), S&B intake, Bak-flip tonneau, even Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. It gets around 20 MPG empty and will tow my 5th wheel up any grade I choose faster than I care to drive it anyway. So all in all, I'm really happy. Having said that, the new rigs are just downright awesome!

But being realistic, my truck's on par with my Father-in-Law's '15 King Ranch except for the seat coolers and slightly more comfy interior. So I either keep it another year (unload at around 180k miles), or I keep it until it's 11-12 years old. Haven't decided yet, so I'm kinda curious how it turns out for you.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Chris: How many miles do you put on a year? Does your truck "make" you money?

That GMC 02 I was 16k.

This Ford 12 I'm pushing 35k a year.....

If I can keep it at sub 20k a year buying new and making it a 10-12 year truck, probably, makes sense. When I'm putting 35k on a year that's a six or seven year truck.

At that point, I think the numbers work out better for buying a 30-35k truck. Keeping it for 2-3 years, throw a quick 100k on it and then sell it for 15-20k privately. Keeping ahead of the nickel and dime parts. Yes, oil changes and a set of tires. Theoretically, keeping ahead of the rust, being outdated. and/or so many miles that everyone doesn't want it anymore. There is a decent market for trucks in that 130k miles and $15-20k range.

I'm enjoying this discussion. A little off topic, but interesting to hear a different view.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris,

My question for you - where do you think you're at with trade-in value, or do you plan to keep your truck?

After 10 years lets be honest, there is no real trade in value to speak of.
I expect the 12 year old truck will be worth a few thousand dollars.
Its pretty much a simple bone stock economy base model.

Bought it to pull boats from our factory to the boat ramp in Lake Havasu.
That was its entire purpose in life before moving to Idaho.

Premium Features