• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 GM HD Duramax

W
Nov 10, 2010
Yeah right! I wish!

90G Canadian is about 67G USD so it's all relative!

Now, talk about the housing market here in BC and that's a whole other story!
The "average" price of a house in Vancouver is 1.51 million and they are almost tear towns! I don't know how my 9 year old son will ever afford to get in the market :face-icon-small-dis

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/price-of-detached-greater-vancouver-home-hits-all-time-high-1-51m-1.2928809

BC is booming. Only laywers, doctors and ceo's will be able to buy real estate there. An aVerage person will NEVER be able to afford a house there. To me thats a scary situation...
$90k for a ****in truck? No thank you, I dont know how you guys do it.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Price of a new Danili HD out the door is what I paid for my 1st house US prices.. Owned it 6 years and sold it for $120K. NOt a bad return. Not going to do that on a truck. I have an LBZ crew now that is loaded an paid for. I will just stick with no payment. New trucks are very nice but not that nice.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Price of a new Danili HD out the door is what I paid for my 1st house US prices.. Owned it 6 years and sold it for $120K. NOt a bad return. Not going to do that on a truck. I have an LBZ crew now that is loaded an paid for. I will just stick with no payment. New trucks are very nice but not that nice.

You can say the same thing with about anything. Snowmobile, snowmobile parts, etc, etc.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
That black dually looks wicked! I dig the new motor, already loved the looks of the GMC. The fill cap is still under the hood. Hoping that the Denali has electronic key ignition, rear heated seats and retractable running boards.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Beautiful truck.
How does someone chose between this and a Ford.
It would be a very hard decision.

GS6

Both are beyond my means, but I like the idea of the aluminum body Ford not becoming a rust bucket before you have it payed for.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Yeah right! I wish!

90G Canadian is about 67G USD so it's all relative!

Now, talk about the housing market here in BC and that's a whole other story!
The "average" price of a house in Vancouver is 1.51 million and they are almost tear towns! I don't know how my 9 year old son will ever afford to get in the market :face-icon-small-dis

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/price-of-detached-greater-vancouver-home-hits-all-time-high-1-51m-1.2928809

He is going to need a raise in his allowance that is for sure....

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
It's still heavily rumored that GM is going to a half ton diesel. It has to do with their VIN coding with motors. GM has skipped an engine letter and it is assumed that the digit they skipped will be their diesel motor on the half ton. I think they are waiting for the right time. Typically they will be late in their timing. Truck market has never been stronger than it is now. Car market is pretty slow right now. Even used trucks are getting stupid money.

Side note, we had a used Ram 1/2 ton diesel on our lot. I wasn't that impressed. Good power, but I don't get the point when you look at cost and fuel economy. It had about 28k miles and we had to send it to the Ram dealer 3 separate times to have work done for sensors, just to sell it. After the guy bought it, on his way back to Denver the sensors let loose again, he had to have it towed to a dealer. He was not happy. Typical Ram/Dodge.

About the DEF fill location, I've talked to a few guys that love where GM has them. The reason is you can put an entire container on the motor and let it sit there. It's easy to fill up. With it back by the fuel tank you literally have to hold the 2.5 gallon container while it fills the truck up. Sure it's in an easier spot, but you still have hold it or rig something for it to sit on. Might be the reasoning in GM having it under the hood.

Is this serious comment? Leave it to a salesman to come up with this. What could be easier than using the pump at the truck stop? GM has their head up their rear on the DEF fill design.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

Difference is a snowmobile for me is still in range were I can pay cash or at least pay for it with in a year. Not that truck. But I am sure there are many on here that can.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Both are beyond my means, but I like the idea of the aluminum body Ford not becoming a rust bucket before you have it payed for.
Ive seen too many pictures of the aluminum tearing like a pop can. And the new trucks dont rust. Ill take a steel truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Hoping that the Denali has electronic key ignition, rear heated seats and retractable running boards.

they don’t. the new denali is really no different than the ’16.
only changes i have seen besides the new motor are:
gauge cluster is slightly different, background coloring is blue instead of red, def tank is bigger and hangs down from the frame even further.

I was hoping there were significant interior changes, but there is not:face-icon-small-dis
i really don’t like the interior of my ’15. the 16 and 17 are the same.

now the 17 ford sd is amazing inside. the interior and technology seems like it is years ahead of gm

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
gauge cluster is slightly different, background coloring is blue instead of red, def tank is bigger and hangs down from the frame even further.

I was hoping there were significant interior changes, but there is not:face-icon-small-dis

now the 17 ford sd is amazing inside. the interior and technology seems like it is years ahead of gm

What don't you like about the interior of the '15? Also what do you like about the '17 super duty? Thanks

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

I'm curious why you don't like it either. I'm a big fan of the current Denali interior. My step-dad has one and I think it's perfect with out being way too much (uggg...Ford King Ranch).

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
What don't you like about the interior of the '15? Also what do you like about the '17 super duty? Thanks

I'm curious why you don't like it either. I'm a big fan of the current Denali interior. My step-dad has one and I think it's perfect with out being way too much (uggg...Ford King Ranch).

I have a ’15 GMC Sierra SLT so it is 1 notch below a denali.
However, the interior is essentially the same. The denali leather is a bit nicer and the gauge cluster is more digital than the slt. When i bought this truck I had a denali right next to it and was comparing the 2 side by side. I only have 18K on my truck.

here’s what I don’t like. No keyless ignition, lots of plastic, the plastic molding around the seat adjustment switches rubs against the leather of the seat and makes a horrible squeaking sound (worse when cold), center console lid rattles, passenger seat rattles, rear seat rattles, infotainment system is super slow (sometimes it takes 10 seconds to change stations, often times it skips stations), text messages don’t come across system any more.
exhaust brake is terrible, it is more like a transmission brake, transmission downshifts more than the exhaust brake works.
the GMC just feels dated and the fit and finish is lacking. I love the looks of them however.

The Ford...
The interior is excellent. The fit and finish seems very good. The technology is leaps and bounds more advanced than the GM. The layout and the functionality is much better. The infotainment system is much faster. The gauge selection is much better. The leather (platinum) is way nicer than even the Denali. The sunroof is huge. The cab is huge. there is about 6” of room behind the drivers seat and where my son would sit in his car seat (his feet nearly touch my seat in the GM). The camera system is phenomenal, 7 cameras total. The bed had much better LED lighting with a switch to turn them off and on.

There are many more things that are nicer on the Ford.
I was really hoping GM had significant changes because I do like the looks and performance of the truck. I am not brand loyal, and I have never owned a ford. However the SD really has me looking closely at it.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Ive seen too many pictures of the aluminum tearing like a pop can. And the new trucks dont rust. Ill take a steel truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

New trucks don't rust? Are we talking like magic steel perhaps? :face-icon-small-con
Tell you what, I'm gonna go ahead and throw the bulls#it flag on that one! :face-icon-small-win

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL

DEF tank shouldn't have changed. Where did you see a 2017? :face-icon-small-dis

edit... If you're referring to the Denali having a larger tank, you're incorrect. Tank size is the same. Doesn't hang down anymore or any less.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
2016 GM gave the truck an updated infotainment system. They killed the ability to pause radio or record radio, that is what slowed down the system. There is a flash for 2015 owners that makes it quicker. The 2016 also received apple carplay Android Auto on "most" trucks. So huge change in that aspect from 2015 to 2016. Text messaging feature are controlled by your phone ios. It really depends on what version you're running and what phone you have. Has nothing to do with the truck infotainment. Apple likes to REALLY restrict text messaging because of the safety factor. Android is easier for texting because of the lack of restrictions. Apple car play and android auto both address this issue as well.

Kylant, I've never ever heard anyone complain about the transmission or exhaust brake on the Duramax.... ever.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Kylant, I've never ever heard anyone complain about the transmission or exhaust brake on the Duramax.... ever.

Yeah, I've had three Duramax trucks now. Two LBZ's and an LML (with exhaust brake). The motors and trannies have been awesome in all three. The exhaust brake is a work of art. I come down passes with a big load or no load at all and don't even touch the brakes.

Premium Features