• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cvt snow bike

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
etec would be ideal if you want to ride for most of a day. wouldnt want a sled sized gas tank on there!

awsome build

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weight and engine size

I agree.
What about cats 500 or 600cc engines.
Are they lighter or smaller?
What's Cats new 600 like on fuel?
It makes pretty good power.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weight and engine size

I agree.
What about cats 500 or 600cc engines.
Are they lighter/smaller?
What's Cats new 600 like on fuel?
It makes pretty good power.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Can't beat the eteck for fuel economy reliability size and weight. Possibly the best all around 2 stroke engine ever build. It just hits the sweet spot on so many aspects needed for sleds and snow bikes.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
As I think about this, wouldn't it be easier to Fabricate the MX chassis onto an existing snowmobile chassis?

J
May 8, 2009
Sleds are too wide to build off of. Even a firecat has a 14" wide tunnel. Although you're gonna make me take a second look at the firecat chassis I have sitting around :)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Sleds are too wide to build off of. Even a firecat has a 14" wide tunnel. Although you're gonna make me take a second look at the firecat chassis I have sitting around :)

A poo or doo tunnel being in long pieces you can just derivet and narrow the strips, then rerivet.
I've got a 09 poo 800 163 sitting around I should chop up.
Could sell the body and front suspension for a couple bucks.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
no way.
end up like a like a fat pig snowhawk.

Not so much. The snowhawk's engine is too far forward, and the rider is still sitting behind the engine.

If someone fabricated the MX chassis to a snowmobile chassis so that the snow engine was in the location of the MX engine, the riders position would be above, or just ahead of the snow engine.

Sorry for my horrible photoshop skills.

snowbike2.jpg

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^i see what u mean now. thought you were talkin narrow a sled chassi and put forks on it and all that..
using a sled bulkhead that the motor and tunnel mounts to would still make it too fat i think.

back to the o.p. sorry

Last edited:
J
Dec 3, 2007
Great post... did you weigh the 600 and clutches, carb, electric before it went in? Anyone know the weight of a 500?

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
Main problem would be pistons leaning to exhaust side of the cylinder.
The reason why there are many small intake ports and one big exhaus port is that the piston needs enough support to slide down under power stroke.
It would work with reverse rotation for some time but not long.
http://www.marinediesels.info/Theory/torque_2.gif

What about flipping cylinders around? I have a buddy that builds crazy two stroke street bikes, he has done this a couple times with air cooled twins. The bolt pattern on a ptech looks like it would allow this. Would really like a solid answer on why it wouldnt work.
Cheers

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
I also have my sled/bike starting to go together, 154x12.5x2.25, 800 p-tek, cr 450 frame, it is looking sweet!

And will be for sale when it's done!

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
Not so much. The snowhawk's engine is too far forward, and the rider is still sitting behind the engine.

If someone fabricated the MX chassis to a snowmobile chassis so that the snow engine was in the location of the MX engine, the riders position would be above, or just ahead of the snow engine.

Sorry for my horrible photoshop skills.[/QUOTE

Feet and Knees would be in the clutch and drivetrain. The only way to make a comfortable rider compartment is to move bars back, linkage to forks and pegs back= snowhawk.
The only way we have been able to make it work well with a cvt. Unless you put the motor behind your legs like les did here. Nice work!

K
Jan 2, 2016
What about flipping cylinders around? I have a buddy that builds crazy two stroke street bikes, he has done this a couple times with air cooled twins. The bolt pattern on a ptech looks like it would allow this. Would really like a solid answer on why it wouldnt work.
Cheers
If you flip the cylinders you are back where you started. Exhaust pointing forward and intake to the back. Only now you have waterpump and oilpump turning the wrong way and clutch at your right.
If I would use some snowmobile engine I would take the clutch out and put chain or beltdrive between the motor and the clutch. Clutch would be better located at the same side of the belt as the motor. That way it would be some 200mm/8" less width and more cenralized mass.

Premium Features