• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LED light kits....

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I have a headlight delete kit on my PRO and want to put an LED kit on it. I can get a killer deal on Vision-X lights through work, so looking at going that way. I have only installed these on vehicles with batteries. Looking to see what you guys have done to get around the not having a battery ordeal, and mounting options. I can't mount it on the bars because of my Boondocker box being mounted there. So, let's hear what you have done and see your mounts.....

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I guess to clarify this question on how to hook them up I should ask it differently. If I were to hook the LED lights into the existing wiring without a relay and constant 12V supply (like you would do if you had a battery), would the electrical system be able to handle the current?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I would guess that as long as the led power draw is the same or less than a factory bulb or bulbs, the sled would be able to handle it. Assuming you're tapping into the main headlight circuit or at the main bulb plug. The other thing to check is voltage range it will operate in. Sleds vary slightly from a constant 12v.

I'm nowhere an expert so anyone please correct me where I'm wrong.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
The one thing the LED light draws a fraction of the power of an incandescent bulb, I would wonder if your electronics would know that there was an actual current draw there.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Did your headlight delete include a resistor to scrub the load that the headlights used to draw so the extra does not get consumed by the regulator and overload / fry it? If not you will want to look at MH's thread about running a Headlight Delete on the PRO and in it will be the math formulas and recommendations on resistor size and rating to accomplish what you want without frying the VR.

Additionally the PRO runs AC to the headlights so depending on the LED's you may need to rectify that back to DC for them. Again it is all covered in that old thread.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Ac/dc rectifier and like loudhandle said, you might want to look into a resistor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I have a mountain fit led light kit and it came with a little resistor to wire in with it. The thing for me is even though I deleted the headlights giving me more available power I'm running a dobek piggyback injector setup,and a huge electric gauge. So at an idle my light flickers. At least I know I'm not leaving any on the table! Haha

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Dc voltage required

You will need Dc voltage for any LED light or light bar. some sleds skidoo, Yamaha and some AC have ample Dc current, Many run Ac to the factory headlights. Polaris for one.
We have came up with a solid state Rectifier for LED lights, It is setup with H4 plugs to tap into most stock headlight plugs but can be adapted for any Ac power puts out 17vdc.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Rectifier-for-LED-Light-Module_p_85.html

Premium Features