• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti vs TS weight

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Anyone have weight of either or both? I have an uninstalled TS ST and LT I could weigh. Anyone with a yeti to weigh?
Someone on the yeti Facebook page said "it's 50lbs lighter than the competition".

Last edited:

Clay911

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2010
Alberta
they have both kits sitting in town beside each other both 16 kits. should have took a scale in when i went.

I have heard from numerous people that they are 44lbs lighter but that just what they say. i would imagine that is 44lbs lighter then a non TSS kit as i dont think anyone has a TSS kit to weigh.

either way its all in how they handle the weight, you can make 10lbs feel heavy if its not working with the rest of the kit right. Gonna be an exciting year either way.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
I can tell you the weight is substantial. I had the luxury of demo ing a kit last spring, when I lifted it out of the shipping crate I was shocked at how light it was, then installed and the weight while riding is very noticeable. Between less rotating mass which made it feel like my bike was modded up and the tree well I found the bottom of and had to haul the bike out of it is MUCH lighter. I have a 14 st TS and hope to be riding the yeti full time this winter.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
They must be pretty confident because they are offering lengths up to a 146 this year . That's impressive , it took the sledding community years . Remember not to long ago when the sleds finally came out with a 136 ?

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Here is an actual weight of a 2015 Timbersled ST with a fit kit.

dd06d19d7cbc737126ccf15a67ba5edd.jpg

Clay911

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2010
Alberta
Went in today and weighed a 2016 TS and 2016 Yeti
First Pic is the 2016 ST TS(non TSS) with the chain/Jerrycan/strut rod
weigh 112.5lbs

Second Pic is the TS ski 19.5lbs

Third pic is yeti 129 track with chain. 95 lbs

Fourth pic is Yeti ski 19lbs

So the Full TS kit is 132lbs

Full yeti 129 is 114 lbs

Difference is 18lbs

I know someone is gonna say well ya but thats a 129, but we all know a 121 to 129 is not alot of weight. It wouldn't be 5 lbs for sure. The yeti is a far cry from the 44lbs or 50lbs lighter i have been hearing. Would be roughly 22-25 lbs lighter for same size kit.

IMG_20150829_102324.jpg IMG_20150829_102348.jpg IMG_20150829_102440.jpg IMG_20150829_102514.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Ok , so where would the center point of balance be on the machine when one is twenty pounds lighter than the other ?

That alone would make a world of a difference on how the machine handles not to mention end of day fatigue I would think ?

Clay911

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2010
Alberta
They had WAY diff balance points. The Yeti has most of its weight way forward compared to the TS. Can tell when you balance them on the scale big time.

i agree the weight would make a Difference, a yeti is still $1600 more then a TS that HAS TSS. nevermind one that does not have TSS. Have to decide if the gains are worth the large difference in price.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Its pretty easy to get all hung up on weight and numbers but in the end the actual numbers are just that, numbers. Differences in geometry tracks, suspension etc. will play a much larger role in a bikes performance than a few pounds here or there. If you are making the argument that HP is limited and therefore weight must be reduced, yes that is true but there is only a small amount of actual gain there. It takes 7 lbs of weight reduction to equal 1 HP so even if a kit is 35 lbs lighter that's still only 5 HP. I'm 60 to 70 lbs lighter than my riding buddy but our bikes a pretty equal and we mostly go the same places, or at least we used to until I went LT.

So IMO just buy what you can afford and ride the crap out of it, and don't think too much or you can drive yourself crazy.

M5

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Thank so much Clay911 for taking the time to weight and post the results. Now if we could just find someone with a CMX. My guess, somewhere in between the TS and yeti.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Thank so much Clay911 for taking the time to weight and post the results. Now if we could just find someone with a CMX. My guess, somewhere in between the TS and yeti.

CMX will be a few pounds lighter then the TS length for length, the front is suprisingly almost identical to TS even with 2 skis (TS ski is heavy!) but the rear is a tad lighter with alum shafts and alum overstructure vs chromoly. Nothing crazy weight wise but the increase in drive efficincy (belt vs 520 o-ring chain) should make for a good running setup as well.

Reality is, we are nerding out about tiny details, nobody is going where others can't. Id be willing to wager bike setup (shrouding etc) and rider capability will go lots farther then 5# here or there.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Reality is, we are nerding out about tiny details, nobody is going where others can't. Id be willing to wager bike setup (shrouding etc) and rider capability will go lots farther then 5# here or there.[/QUOTE]

That might be so but when it comes down to it at the end of the day same rider different machine will be a different out come .

Now extend that over a couple days or even a week and that will weed out the pups from the big dogs .

Polaris has proven it and banks on it , they have the worst 800 and the flimsiest skid but the consumers are raving about it because the skid is so user friendly .

Balance on a one ski is as important as it is on two wheels .

The competition is making a more refined kit addressing some of the flaws and you can't have an improvement these days without a cost increase .

N

NVRENUF

Dec 19, 2007
Toby Till's photo's and number are accurate, I have weighed them all to and are within 1/2lb of Tony. Good Job.

CLay 911.....

How do you measure all that stuff on your little scale and show no pictures of the YETI? Toby's pics make sense to me, not yours.

I know 100% that the YETI 129 SMX complete kit, in final form weights in at 110.2lbs.
The rest of the weights and all specs will be on the new YETI website in a week.

SO that puts in in at 32.3 lighter comparing an old 2014 120ST with the 2" challenger track on it vs a 129 YETI with a 2.5" track on it. The 120 YETI SMX kit will be another 5 lbs lighter. ( track is 2 lbs lighter, the rails 1.75lbs and the carbon 1.35lbs).

SO a comparable YETI to a ST kit, same track length will be right close to 37 lbs difference.

Final note:

If the anyone built a SNOW MX kit and it was 37lbs lighter than the current there would be a significant performance improvement. Most sled guys here have paid $100 per pound for light weight parts. That would make the YETI worth $3700 more just on weight alone.

Nevemind the belt drive efficiency, the reduced rotating mass in the track,.....and on and on...Carbon fibre, ti bolts, more efficient design....

It's going to be a fun winter!!

When you want the best, there is

NVRENUF

Toby Till's photo's and number are accurate, I have weighed them all to and are within 1/2lb of Tony. Good Job.

CLay 911.....

How do you measure all that stuff on your little scale and show no pictures of the YETI? Toby's pics make sense to me, not yours.

I know 100% that the YETI 129 SMX complete kit, in final form weights in at 110.2lbs.
The rest of the weights and all specs will be on the new YETI website in a week.

SO that puts in in at 32.3 lighter comparing an old 2014 120ST with the 2" challenger track on it vs a 129 YETI with a 2.5" track on it. The 120 YETI SMX kit will be another 5 lbs lighter. ( track is 2 lbs lighter, the rails 1.75lbs and the carbon 1.35lbs).

SO a comparable YETI to a ST kit, same track length will be right close to 37 lbs difference.

NVRENUF

Clay911 weighed the 2016 Timbersled ST kit, which is quite a bit lighter than the 2015's that Toby weighed, and the 2014 ST kit that you refer too. His wieghts on the yeti aren't too far off of what you list - being within 5lbs on different scales is tolerable imo.

I can't see it being too hard to balance a kit on a small scale like that, but it would be nice to see a picture of the kits on the scale too.

Premium Features