• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 and beyond

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
What does everybody think Cat will do for next year? Or the next?
Will they have a new chassis next year or 2018 or further?
With all of the rumors about new patents and the like how long will it take to see something completely new and then should we wait a year to buy it so they can get the bugs worked out of it?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
2 inches more narrow up front and at side panels. 3.2 power claw plus 3 inches in length. BNGs. 800 extra HO. Lower shorter seat. New gauges. Extra cool windshield. Cheesy leather jacket voucher if snowchecked. Extra powdery skis. More evacuating running boards. More tunnel to track clearance. Credit score of 750+ to finance. New helix.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
They used the ZR3 chassis for 4 years from 2001-2004 before offering a new one. M chassis for 7 years from 2005-2011 and it was a pretty solid machine with few issues from the start. Proclimb for 5 years now from 2012-2016 and had its issues. I'm hoping for something different in 2017 that is lighter and has narrower/better fitting bodywork. If it crumples like a pop can though, I don't want anything to do with it.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Think you'll see the direct injected 800 next and a new chassis after that. Maybe some weight loss. Don't expect anything too big to change.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Think you'll see the direct injected 800 next and a new chassis after that. Maybe some weight loss. Don't expect anything too big to change.

So you are thinking possibly next year the direct injected motor which a lot of people thought they were going to have this year. Then the next year possibly a different chassis. This is what I was thinking would happen also.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
thats what im thinking as well 2016 is the last year of the suzuki contract isnt it? then it will be like the 600 injection and then a new chassis

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Cat was testing the new 800 motor in Cooke last spring. Rumors are the power is impressive and pulls several sled lengths on the suzuki motor. All I heard.

Durability will be the question mark on any new motor. Another is how easily can it be modified; one great thing about the current motor. Assuming there will be some weight advantage with the new motor, but that is pure speculation. Hopefully they test the crap out of any new motor, have a reputation to uphold.

I could not imagine AC releasing a new motor and chassis in the same year; just would not make sense from a business stand point.

Me personally, I have a hard time buying first years of anything. One of many reasons I chose to snowcheck a 16; a 4 year warranty option was hard to ignore also.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
2014 was supposed to be the last year of the Suzuki motor too though but they extended the contract. I am starting to think the motor will never happen. I'm sure its gone through many revisions but 5 years ago my top secret source that had already ridden it said it would easily pull the suzuki by 3-4 lengths. When will it ever be good enough for them to release?

My personal opinion is that Cat releasing a new chassis will have more to do with how well the Axys really performs. If the Axys is really not any better than the Pro they wont get in a hurry. If you believe the Pool-Aid boys and its light years better cat will have a new chassis next year. IMHO

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I could not imagine AC releasing a new motor and chassis in the same year; just would not make sense from a business stand point.

Polaris did it. Depends if the new motor will fit in the old chassis or not. As well some believe Cat must shock the industry in order to gain market share and show that they are serious.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
They really don't need to shock the industry. Just build a light weight mountain sled on something similar to the current platform and I'd be back on cat. It's really quite simple, they've done it before.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
They really don't need to shock the industry. Just build a light weight mountain sled on something similar to the current platform and I'd be back on cat. It's really quite simple, they've done it before.

Well I would love to be torn between Poo, Doo and Cat for 2017. It was again another easy choice for me to stay with Poo this year. Can you imagine Cat and Doo releasing 400 lb sleds in the same year with C-Tech 800 and E-Tech2 respectively?

One thing for sure, the first of these two to do it will have huge sales that year.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Well I would love to be torn between Poo, Doo and Cat for 2017. It was again another easy choice for me to stay with Poo this year. Can you imagine Cat and Doo releasing 400 lb sleds in the same year with C-Tech 800 and E-Tech2 respectively?

One thing for sure, the first of these two to do it will have huge sales that year.

I agree 100%. I hope it's Cat though. We need some dealers to come back in my area.

Premium Features