• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Aftermarket Gauge System with Mapping

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
My website has updated information:
http://www.nextstagegauges.com/ns1-gauge-system

I've watched folks drooling over the new Polaris gauge and its lackluster mapping and lack of features for far too long now. I've been working on a gauge that can completely replace the OEM gauges on Arctic Cat, Yamaha, and Polaris since early this year, and it's probably about time to get some feedback. The current version of the hardware is actually using the firmware from the Deluxe Gauge Reflash that is already available for Arctic Cats. I'd like to hear about features the people think are missing from what I've laid out below. The mapping portion of the software I will be releasing on Android so that people can use with it on smartphones this winter.

The important features of this gauge are the following:

General Functionality:
-Android operating system, all Android applications can be run
-Bluetooth and WIFI connectivity
-Around 16GB of storage
-Large 7inch LCD screen that is readable in sunlight

Mapping Functionality:
-Satellite imagery
-Topographic maps
-Topographic contour lines on top of other maps
-Snowmobile Trails on top of other maps
-Tracks and Waypoint support using GPX files
-Tracks and Waypoints using KML files
-Built-in ability to cache maps for offline use
-Download packs of cached maps for an area (like satellite imagery for Snowies)

Gauge Functionality:
-5 gauge layouts that can switched between
-Each gauge layout can be edited
-Different styles and sizes of gauge faces
-Horizontal Needle
-Vertical Needle
-Horizontal Bargraph
-Vertical Bargraph
-Text/Numbers​
-Can show many different types of data
-RPM
-Speed
-GPS Speed
-Altitude
-Engine Temp
-Intake Temp (on Arctic Cat)
-Voltage
-AFR (must have an AFR sensor)
-Boost (must have a MAP sensor on the sled)​

I will be doing beta testing this winter with the gauge on Arctic Cat sleds using some temporary hardware (actually based on a Nexus 7 tablet). I have a waterproof enclosure built for it, and at the moment I'm working on the mount for the gauge. The eventual hardware for the gauge will almost certainly be using a resistive touchscreen for use in cold weather and snow, but I've also built in support for gamepads. This will allow handlebar controls on the gauge, including the mapping features. I'm guessing that the price will fall in the $500 to $700 range, but don't quote me on that.

Another thing I'm working on, which is why this gauge isn't available this year actually, is a GPS transponder system. It works much like a Garmin Rino where it transmits your location and allows you to see other people's locations. It will however work much better since it will be operating on frequencies where it can constantly be transmitting your location instead of at most once a minute. The GPS transponder actually shows the information right on the map of the gauge's software.

Below are a few screen shots of the software:

Satellite imagery with contour lines (contour lines will be thicker than shown below):

Editing a gauge layout:

Controlling the layers visible on the map:

Selecting an area to be cached:

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
To capture more clientele you may want to do a deluxe option for the high perf crowd. Thinking boost capabilities and so on

I like everything else you've got there
Is there a possibility instead of using the bar style rpm gauge to just use a simple digital numerical display?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
To capture more clientele you may want to do a deluxe option for the high perf crowd. Thinking boost capabilities and so on

Is there a possibility instead of using the bar style rpm gauge to just use a simple digital numerical display?

The mount (which is where it interfaces with the sled) will have analog inputs for boost and AFR. If I have time I'd like to add inputs for EGT probes as well, but it seems like I have more requests for AFR.

RPM, or any other peice of data can be shown with of of the styles or sizes on gauges. I had it using a medium bar graph above, but it can definitely use a numerical text version, and can easily be changed by the user.

Also, the gauhe is designed to easily be removed from the mount to prevent theft and allow it to be used as a regular tablet.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Gauge Functionality:

-5 gauge layouts that can switched between

-Each gauge layout can be edited

-Different styles and sizes of gauge faces

-Horizontal Needle

-Vertical Needle

-Horizontal Bargraph

-Vertical Bargraph

-Text/Numbers​

-Can show many different types of data

-RPM

-Speed

-GPS Speed

-Altitude

-Engine Temp

-Intake Temp (on Arctic Cat)

-Voltage

-AFR (must have an AFR sensor)

-Boost (must have a MAP sensor on the sled)​

It seams like he has that covered. Izzni this is an awesome idea. I like it a lot.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Correct, it will be using the CAN bus on the new Cats and Polaris sleds.

The contour lines I generated with USGS data. For the true topographic maps it can use any slippery map tile server. I believe the one I will be adding soon is the openstreet topographic one.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is awesome... I've been waiting for someone like Furuno or Raytheon to make something I could "adapt" to use... great that you are making one SPECIFICALLY for us.... The UTV crowd will be even bigger for you!

What is the brightness of the screen (Max) in CD/M²/NITS?
Contrast Ratio?
Resolution?

Are there extra video input or SD card slots?

Compatability to use the Garmin apps would be key for me and open up a lot of flexibility in the system.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheGo-cApps-p1.html

A small visor for the screen would be good!

A built-in Ambient air temp sensor would be great as well.

Will you have the correct Molex or AMP connector so that this is a "Plug N Play" install?

What TOPO maps are you using?

Since Kokusan-Denki makes the onboard systems for both CAT and Polaris... it will be interesting to see what you pull out for the PRO.

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
This is awesome... I've been waiting for someone like Furuno or Raytheon to make something I could "adapt" to use... great that you are making one SPECIFICALLY for us.... The UTV crowd will be even bigger for you!

What is the brightness of the screen (Max) in CD/M²/NITS?
Contrast Ratio?
Resolution?

Are there extra video input or SD card slots?

Compatability to use the Garmin apps would be key for me and open up a lot of flexibility in the system.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheGo-cApps-p1.html

A small visor for the screen would be good!

A built-in Ambient air temp sensor would be great as well.

Will you have the correct Molex or AMP connector so that this is a "Plug N Play" install?

What TOPO maps are you using?

Since Kokusan-Denki makes the onboard systems for both CAT and Polaris... it will be interesting to see what you pull out for the PRO.

It actually might be available for UTVs before sleds since the system will work with both.

Since it basically is an Android tablet the Garmin apps will run just fine.

The current hardware based on the Nexus 7 has about a 550 CD/m2 screen. It is marginally bright enough. I've been eyeing transreflective LCD screens a lot, however if I use one it puts the price at the top of the range I've mentioned, perhaps plus a bit more. A visor for the screen is something I've thought about, but frankly it is a band aid for the screen not being bright enough. With optically bonded LCD glass and a matte film I should be able to eliminate the need for a visor.

The mount will have stock connectors, so basically it can be installed with a wrench and a screwdriver.

The topographic maps I plan to use are the Openstreet topographic. I prefer contour lines, and I've generating those myself using USGS data.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
How do these devices handle the Cold and snow?

Usually quite well. The main issue is that capacitive touchscreens work like crap once they have water on them, or when it is very cold. I'll be using a resistive touchscreen, and like I mentioned above, it will have gamepad support that you could mount on the handlebars. It will be in testing this winter, so I'll be finding out.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Very cool! I'd imagine a lot of flexibility with the platform your starting with... Good luck and hope you get these into production.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
This is an equally unexpected and awesome idea!
This would be awesome for me, bar mounted gps is a pain in the mountains but I don't go anywhere with out it.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
This is literally a 7" tablet, I don't know what to say... This is hard to believe

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The current hardware based on the Nexus 7 has about a 550 CD/m2 screen. It is marginally bright enough. I've been eyeing transreflective LCD screens a lot, however if I use one it puts the price at the top of the range I've mentioned, perhaps plus a bit more. A visor for the screen is something I've thought about, but frankly it is a band aid for the screen not being bright enough. With optically bonded LCD glass and a matte film I should be able to eliminate the .

The LCD touch screen used on Dynojet LCD-200's is very bright and readable in sunlight. To me, sharp contrast with very black backgrounds work well. It also lights right up on engine start with no latency when cold, unlike Polaris gauges. Just my 2 cents.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
I can tell you izzni knows his stuff boys and puts a TON of testing into his stuff. I beta tested his gauge reflash for the proclimb last year and couldn't imagine my sled without it now, so much more information at your finger tips that is actually USEFUL. Well thought out, knows what we are looking for as riders and it just flat out works. Keep your eyes on this one.

Premium Features