• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front Suspension mod for King CAT 900 efi

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Ok guys I have had this king cat for a year. I went with a king cat over a M - series sled because I wanted to mod the heck outta of it. (Little tougher then I thought) nobody really makes modified parts for this sled anymore. I have a lot of questions.

1. I want to put a new front suspension on my sled with fox floats or evans. I want to bring my ski stance into a 38.5" or 39". But I can not find anyone that makes A arms for this sled anymore. I like http://www.zbrozracing.com/ style for there F or M series chassis. But I dont thinkt that will work for the ZR chassis the king cat has???:noidea:

2. I also want to raise my front end a couple inches. To do that do I just get a longer shock? if I get a longer shock wont it bow my ski's inward instead of being flat on the ground?

3. Also I am going to weld up my own style of a Skinz seat, a little taller then there's and shorter. I want to but a M - series tank on my sled because it is not as wide as the stock on the king, plus will give me more room to shove my seat further forward. Does the M - series tank bolt right up and work? or is there a better smaller gas tank I could use? I think it would be really cool to somehow place the seat completely over the gas tank, but I think that is impossible with this sled.

4. Is there any better forward post making companies other than wildchild and CR. I want a post that goes even more of a rider forward stance then what those two can offer?

anyway any info or comments will help. maybe I should just build the A arms and forward posts myself?

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We did one with an M-series seat/tank.
We had to use a modified Polaris steering post, with a u-joint, to clear carbs. This sled also has a diamond drive in it, with a Van Amburg tunnel which is 2" taller than stock. Without those mods, I'm not 100% sure the tank would clear the secondary clutch.

It does handle very well though.
The rider is moved significantly forward from stock.

Build thread with more pictures:
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345844

G
Nov 4, 2010
front suspension mods

If you want fox floats the longest you can go without modifying the a arms is 17" ctc.

You can use the walker evans air shocks which are 17.5" ctc and they fit just fine because they have a smaller diameter than the fox floats.

I have ran both of these on my 1M.

You can put longer fox floats on if you make a new front piece on your upper a arm. The longest you can go there is 17.75" before they start to hit pieces on your spindle. My brother has this option and it is the best in my opinion.

All of these options raise your front end significantly.

I wouldn't worry about getting a narrower set of a arms because when you use longer shocks it narrows the stance automatically while the shocks aren't compressed. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I can explain more.

I am going to be selling some 17" ctc fox float 2's that are currently on my sled because I am going to 17.75" ones. I could probably find you some walker evans air shocks if you want also. There are about 8 king cats/Mountain cats in my group and we all use one of these setups. They work amazingly well and help the sled handle so much better.

PM me if you want some info on how I setup the rear suspension to match the front end being lifted.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
Sorry I know these pictures aren't great but i'll take some better ones when I get home tonight.
I prefer the floats over WE just because of adjust-ability. the WE are normally cheaper, and don't require any modification of your upper A-Arms though

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Wow tons of info!! thanks Guys.

BigTwin900, I seen you have a front dump exhaust, does anyone in your group have a jaws front dump exhaust with twin pipes? I heard it boost your HP you drop weight from stock set up, get rid of the bogg on the right in powder. But I also heard it is an extremely loud exhaust? If I wanted to get a Jaws exhaust, V force 3 reeds and do my own cold air intake, would I have to have a boondocker programmer?

Idcatman3 - Your sled looks sick!!!:amen:

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
We all run single pipes. that front dump pic is of my Dad's cutler 1000. Greencat900 runs a stock exhaust with a high compression head and his sled climbs like a beast. we both run 2.5 tracks, his is a 153 and mine is a 162 and his sled will outclimb mine. I run a mbrp can, vforce 3 reeds and it made a difference. i'd ask him what he thinks of his High comp head if you want.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Do you guys all run single pipes just because they are lighter then running twin? I also drag race vintage sleds so I know that twin pipes produce more HP then if you get the coated or tapped you can produce even more HP. Or is there something I am missing with the single pipe?

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Can't answer for everyone, but we run single pipes because the mid-range is better, and you can change elevation more without having to re-jet the carbs. Just less finicky all around. Yeah, we sacrifice a few hp on top, but I feel it's worth it.

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE:

Idcatman3,

If I have a EFI do you think it would be better to run twins or a single?

Also on your king cat build with then polaris bulkhead and steering... I am going to purchase a wildchild post. But kurt is going to bend it even more for me so it comes straight up in front of the bulkhead instead of angled back. Do you think if I want to put an M - series tank on my sled at some point, will this wildchild post still work for the mod? Also did you put the polaris bulkhead on the king just so the tank could fit? or is it possible I could use the bulkhead I have and throw a tank on it without it hitting the secondary?

Thanks

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
RE

Bigtwin900,
In that picture you posted of the front of your king cat with 2 fox float 17.75". what is your ski stance in that picture? and did you just add the floats to the stock A - Arms or did you cut them down a bit

Thanks

DaveCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Fabcraft still makes a-arms for these sleds. I am using their 39" arms with shocks for 41" arms which raises it up a bit. With the King Cat adjustable spindles all the way narrow I'm about a 38" stance. Hope this helps.

David

Fabcraft.com

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
It's around a 39 inch stance. I'm not sure what your asking about the floats. To put a float longer than 17 you'll need to modify your upper A arms. And we run single pipes for the same reason as idcatman Stated

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Idcatman3,

If I have a EFI do you think it would be better to run twins or a single?

Also on your king cat build with then polaris bulkhead and steering... I am going to purchase a wildchild post. But kurt is going to bend it even more for me so it comes straight up in front of the bulkhead instead of angled back. Do you think if I want to put an M - series tank on my sled at some point, will this wildchild post still work for the mod? Also did you put the polaris bulkhead on the king just so the tank could fit? or is it possible I could use the bulkhead I have and throw a tank on it without it hitting the secondary?

Thanks

It's not a polaris bulkhead. The only polaris part is the steering post (well, and the recoil handle, but that hardly matters.)

We put the u-jointed post on, so that we didn't have to move the bottom of the post to the side to clear the carbs, but still have relatively vertical steering. I'm really not sure on the tank clearing the secondary, for two reasons:
1. this tunnel is 2" taller than stock, so gives some clearance
2. We used a diamond drive, which sits lower in the chassis, which also gives clearance.

You'd just have to mock it up and see.

For EFI, if you put any aftermarket exhaust on it, you'll need a Boondocker fuel control box. Once there, it really depends what you're doing. If you're just point/shoot climbing hills, twins will be great. If you're weaving slow through trees, I'd go with a single.

H
Feb 17, 2014
washington
I also have lots of questions... I will try to keep it to a few, Just got a 2003 1m 900 and wanting to upgrade my suspension front and rear (right shock bad after last weekend).

I have been looking into fox shocks but not having good luck finding them for my sled. What application do you use to find shocks for 1m, and what size am i looking for. I think i want 17 ctc but not sure. I under stand if i want to go for more then 17 i will need to fab the upper a arm, but un sure if 17 and under it is just bolt in and go?

also any help on setting the rear up would be lots of help! thanks

Premium Features