• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who's running a two stroke on snow ?

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Thought id start this to help others , make the move on riding there smokers on snow .post what ya got, mods, how it works, gearing, jetting, so on if you would like.......pics are good too.

Last edited:
S

snorider99

Apr 24, 2008
fort mcmurray
I just picked up a kx 500 last week that I'll be riding this year.. got lots of goodies going on it soon and cant wait to ride it!!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I ride a ktm 550 2stroke mild port pipe long track
Have two kx500 one long track the other is short
No four strokes in my barn
My husaberg 650 didnt even hold a candle stick next to my big bore bikes

Sweet ! I know my CR500 will torch a 450 4stroke in the sand. Not even close !! Cant wait !!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Its funny, i also thouoght about the Banshee motor. But with the added weight i just dont think its a contender. The 250R race quads with the 500 motor modded they were just as good sort of. There is vid on Youtube with the Banshee in a dirtbike. By the time you get is fitted and make pipes i don't think you have much more. But heh, try it out !

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Good thread. Never a 2 vs 4 argument. I think it is great for the thousands of people out there with a bike in the garage and are interested in doing some snow biking. Not everyone can or needs to lay down 8 or 9K for a new bike to go have fun. The 2 strokes have some great advantages. I am going to help every way I can, to make the 250 class a fun and decent, inexpensive option. They work very well on an ST. They won't break trail over the top after a 4 foot dump, but that's not the point. We will post Vid footage this winter of 250 & 300's in the steep stuff. Will be fun

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The "YZ325", I have been reading up on this. I would love to build one. The high compression option with the S9 porting option. wow! I'm sure it would be a super fun short track ripper!!!

*** The thing that really makes a good point is the entire YZ325 kit cost's less than just the exhaust system of a 450F!..... think about it.... hmmmmm, a clean, late model YZ250 with this kit and a 38MM Smart Carb.***

http://www.eddie-sanders-racing.com/product_p/yz250 325 kit big bore.htm

YZ 325 Discussion; http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1020420-yz-325/page-3

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I would be staying away from a steel sleeve myself. Couple reasons. First one if you smear a piston you are now doing a rebore as well. Nicasil is much tougher and many times you can clean it up with no need to recoat. Also it transfers heat way better. Will not lose power on long runs like a steel liner does.

If it was me I would send the stock motor to your engine builder of choice and have him go through it. Maybe punch out your existing jug, porting ect

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I would be staying away from a steel sleeve myself. Couple reasons. First one if you smear a piston you are now doing a rebore as well. Nicasil is much tougher and many times you can clean it up with no need to recoat. Also it transfers heat way better. Will not lose power on long runs like a steel liner does.

If it was me I would send the stock motor to your engine builder of choice and have him go through it. Maybe punch out your existing jug, porting ect

I totally agree. I have had excellent results with Millennium Tech over the years. If I were to do something like this 325 kit, I would order it and ship directly to Millennium to re-bore slightly and Nicasil the cylinder. Then you would be good for just a simple piston swap occasionally.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
How often do you have to do the top end

How many hours on the bike until you are you guys doing top ends on your snow bikes.... I would assume it is a good bit more than riding it on dirt?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
How many hours on the bike until you are you guys doing top ends on your snow bikes.... I would assume it is a good bit more than riding it on dirt?

A friend of mine just did a piston swap. He had two summers of hard MX on it and two winters on the snowbike. Everything looked perfect, rings getting sloppy was all. I would think every other year would be sufficient. Then again, for $150 bucks, I would just make a quick swap each fall, after the summer riding.

Premium Features