• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best forward a-arms

Best spindle forward a-arms?

• Skinz Concept

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • ZBROZ

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • CR Racing

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Diamond S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I checked it out and your right. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what is the true majority improvement on these front ends? Is it the narrowing of the stance, or does the forward movement of the spindle cause the most improvement. I realize the combination of the 2 most likely has an overall benefit, but whats the spit 50/50, 60/40......???

who has the new z bros and what's your take on the front end vs. stock

thanks

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I checked it out and your right. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what is the true majority improvement on these front ends? Is it the narrowing of the stance, or does the forward movement of the spindle cause the most improvement. I realize the combination of the 2 most likely has an overall benefit, but whats the spit 50/50, 60/40......???

thanks

The biggest improvements are realized by moving the spindle forward and having the correct caster. Narrowing it.....not so much. I ran my last set of prototype arms last season at 39" and off trail performance was great.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
I guess all I can say is that if you read the b*tching-n-moaning threads about how crappy sleds handle boondocking & tight technical riding.... almost ALL of them are from the AC/Yamaha camps. Both sleds come with 40" width or more front ends stock. I'd say 90% of us mountain riders could give a ship about "trail" performance as it's only a inconvenience too the hill!! It's ALOT easier to pull the sled over with a narrow front.
Case in point you don't see much b*tchin from poo/doo camps about boondocking/ tight technical handling? Mmmmm nope, they both come stock with 36" width front ends.

And yes mountaintech I also understand that proper caster with the correct weight distribution plays factors into this BUT for the ease of getting these sleds to pull over easier a lot has to do with width of the front end.

Last edited:

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington

thanks

I ran the new z bros front end all lass season. It is miles ahead of stock as far as sled control goes. Down hill maneuverability is where I noticed the most improvement, night and day difference. I did play with the caster adjustment but I found the sled handled best with the z bros suggested setup and I haven't changed it since.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I ran the new z bros front end all lass season. It is miles ahead of stock as far as sled control goes. Down hill maneuverability is where I noticed the most improvement, night and day difference. I did play with the caster adjustment but I found the sled handled best with the z bros suggested setup and I haven't changed it since.

What were their recommendations as far as caster?

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
What were their recommendations as far as caster?

I don't recall, maybe someone that has installed one recently will chime in. Here is pic of the caster angle I'm running.

c52384256c360d5381bd5e75294d200f.jpg

Z

Zbroz Racing

Dec 19, 2007
Utah
www.zbrozracing.com
CASTOR SETTING

I don't recall, maybe someone that has installed one recently will chime in. Here is pic of the caster angle I'm running.

c52384256c360d5381bd5e75294d200f.jpg

With our kit there is a spacer that can be ran in ether forward or rearward position on the top A arm. We recommend the rear position for most applications. The only time the forward application would be used is with a very long track or high sitting rear suspension. Like 174" M 10 set up.

Last edited:

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I got my zbroz kit installed this weekend, hopefully I did everything right. The lower spindle nut was a fun one to get started, but once I figured it out I got it good and tight to the required torque.

Can't wait to try it out.

11039475985_6945fd6e64_b.jpg

11039473295_d56c0b829f_b.jpg

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
image_zpsbbc4696a.jpg

Can anyone tell me if these cr racing a arms are the 3" forward newest style? Sled is used and they look the same as the ones in the picture from crs web site

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
image_zpsbbc4696a.jpg

Can anyone tell me if these cr racing a arms are the 3" forward newest style? Sled is used and they look the same as the ones in the picture from crs web site

they look like the old style the new 3 inch forward one the bottom arm looks diff,there are pics of the new ones on page 3 of this thread.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
For the skinz yes I was referring to the pre-bent tie-rod ends. If you read some people's post they almost break if you look at them wrong. Other guys don't have any problems.
As for the ZBroz shock mount breaking I've only heard of that a couple of times. I'm not 100% if it wasn't rider abuse but who's to say.... Everybody seems to down play how "HARD" they are on their machines!

For me I'd go
CR Racing
ZBroz
Diamonds S
Anybody else's
Skinz(I will admit I've got a personal hatred with them)

Agreed on the tierod ends, I have rolled mine in deep snow and bent them. The curve in them makes them weak and bend easily when the spindle takes a perpendicular hit as it rolls over.

Needs a better design.

ONLY complaint I have about the skinz front end.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Saw this on TY uses stock tie rods and shocks +5 forward 42" wide. They also make a 36"

download.php

H
Nov 10, 2009
Denver
Saw this on TY uses stock tie rods and shocks +5 forward 42" wide. They also make a 36"

I thought these arms were dead by now. 5" forward? An Easterners idea of how to make mountain parts! Try loading that into a truck or sled deck! Plus, it already proven that there's no need to go further than 3. Hope they aren't thinking of trying to sell these.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So be easy on my my mechanical ignorance...... Does adjusting the caster give you the same performance gain as a +3 set up....... These seem pretty reasonable for a novice....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Caster is not the issue with these sleds. The distribution of weight is. With the arms moving forward it changes the way the sled reacts to differing terrain and allows it to have more control. The biggest area of improvement is the ability to hold a sidehill in rough terrain. While it is an improvement I personally would make it the last item to be changed out having seen what other things can do to help the performance of this sled.

Premium Features