• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crew cab 2013 3500 Denali Dmax or F350 Stroker

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Drove both a Duramax and a Powerstroke yesterday. Liked them both. Going down the interstate it seemed like the Ford needed less steering input to keep it pointed straight vs the GM truck? Anyone else had that experience? I actually drove a 3/4 ton Chevy and then went and looked at the Denali but didn't drive it. I really like the Denali interior and its simple things. For example the Chevy and Ford arm rests are rock hard. I tend to drive with my elbow on the arm rest. The plush padding on the Denali arm rest and the soft leather seats are very nice. The DEF tank on the GM's is pretty funny. I found myself staring at it in amazement. Hard to understand why anybody thought that was a good idea. Black truck and step bars mostly fix the problem. I noticed with a white truck it really stood out. I think part of it is I've been a die hard Ford truck guy but I also like the GM products. Thought it might be fun to change it up some. I might go drive a Dodge but my buddy and I did the marathon session yesterday and after talking to that many sales people you tend to get worn down. My GM slanting sidekick did point out an interesting weakness in the Ford warrantee. 6 years 60k vs the GM 5 years 100k. Something to consider.

Last edited:
P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
What about power?acceleration?tranny shifting?braking? All the important things for towing/hauling.

No noticeable difference in power between the 2 trucks. Both felt stout. The test drives were on a wet/dry road surface and both trucks accelerated strong and broke loose the tires and went sideways on hard shots. I love that. The Chevy dealer let us take the truck out alone so I got more time with it. The exhaust brake worked great. Only drove the Ford on flat surfaces. Keep in mind these were "sales" test drives. I don't think I would get any real creditable data besides a general feel for the trucks. Braking felt good on both for the type driving I did.

I was looking for the wow and fun factor. The Stroker did seem to shift ever so slightly quicker and smoother. But the allison was smooth also. I would call it a draw there.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Hmmmmm...interesting......I am surprised to hear that. Thought for sure the allison tranny would blow the ford out of the water, but it is hard to tell without a load on them. We have some new Fords at work, base models,but there is no doubt my 06 Dmax is still king. Good luck with whatever you choose.

M

MajorDirty

Dec 5, 2007
Kelso, WA
Drove both a Duramax and a Powerstroke yesterday. Liked them both. Going down the interstate it seemed like the Ford needed less steering input to keep it pointed straight vs the GM truck? Anyone else had that experience? I actually drove a 3/4 ton Chevy and then went and looked at the Denali but didn't drive it. I really like the Denali interior and its simple things. For example the Chevy and Ford arm rests are rock hard. I tend to drive with my elbow on the arm rest. The plush padding on the Denali arm rest and the soft leather seats are very nice. The DEF tank on the GM's is pretty funny. I found myself staring at it in amazement. Hard to understand why anybody thought that was a good idea. Black truck and step bars mostly fix the problem. I noticed with a white truck it really stood out. I think part of it is I've been a die hard Ford truck guy but I also like the GM products. Thought it might be fun to change it up some. I might go drive a Dodge but my buddy and I did the marathon session yesterday and after talking to that many sales people you tend to get worn down. My GM slanting sidekick did point out an interesting weakness in the Ford warrantee. 6 years 60k vs the GM 5 years 100k. Something to consider.

My 2011 F350 6.7 has 5/100k warranty....if I remember correctly, the 6/60 was for the gas motor.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Not sure on the warranty but I heard Ford does a 100K warranty during truck month.

Grade braking to me is a bigger issue with how the transmission can handle weight going downhill than flat surface smoothness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I can't say enough good things about the exhaust brake on my 2012 dmax I absolutely love it! I drove all the trucks and while I did like the fords information screen better I couldn't pass up having a duramax that's been proven under the hood. They're all great trucks it comes down to what you want and like better. They'll all get the job done.

T
Jan 17, 2012
Montana
All three have exhaust brakes. Fords implements theirs in a weird way. I have one, but I like dodges implementation of the brake better. With the ford, you have to be in tow haul mode and it activates when u brake. Not sure how GM does it, but the dodge uses a switch on the dash.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
GMC Uses a dash switch that can be turned on or off at anytime. The dash switch/exhaust brake, the tow haul mode, the Allison, the brake controller and the ecu all communicate together.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
If Dodge has a switch for the exhaust brake then it was recently added. The review I read stated that it didn't.

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
The dodge has always had a switch on the dash for the exhaust brake ever since it was introduced in 2007. It is off by default.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
This probably is a loaded question but what are you guys seeing for mileage? Heard the 6.7 Ford is really good and the Dodge and the GM much less?

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
GMC Uses a dash switch that can be turned on or off at anytime. The dash switch/exhaust brake, the tow haul mode, the Allison, the brake controller and the ecu all communicate together.

On the 13 I drove there was a button on the end of the gear selector.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
People keep throwing Dodge into the mix and I know the original post said he was looking at Ford and GM. Drive them both and you will find a winner. Both have exhaust brakes which are awesome pulling a big trailer. I can't remember if both Dodge and Ford exhaust brakes are on all the time but that would drive me nuts. I like the fact that you can easily turn it off and on in the GM. It seems to me that would effect fuel mileage when driving down hills empty.

Your right. I think I am just more amazed Dodge actually makes something nice enough for me to consider now. I really would probably go GM. I've always been a GM fan. I have an 06 crew cab LBZ Duramax LT right now and love the truck. I am very intrigued by the Dodge and the Ford. Maybe I just want something totally different than anything I've had before, for a change.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Sorry, I had the wrong truck. The Ford didn't have a control for the exhaust brake in 2011, not sure if they have changed that.

From the 2011 Heavy Duty Comparison

The F-350 does as well as we could want downhill, as the six-speed transmission and exhaust brake make all the right moves. The Ford is the only truck here that doesn't have an exhaust brake switch on the dash — its activation is controlled exclusively by the ECU in response to conditions.

Premium Features