• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crew cab 2013 3500 Denali Dmax or F350 Stroker

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Totally agree.

Read any of the recent comparos and the Duramax is kicking everyone's ***.

Check out

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1111dp_king_of_the_hill_rematch/viewall.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-truck-specs-and-testing-approach.html

Just my 2 cents, but I hate the GM IFS. Also, the most dated interior. I absolutely hate how the UREA tank hangs down low. Really guys? That looks like crap!

I think the Dodge and Fords are way better looking trucks and have the solid front.

The Ford UREA setup is way better for sure. The Ford interior is the nicest for 12, but it looks like the 13 Dodge is going to step it up.

I think the Dodge is outgunned in 12 but is reloading for 13 and will have the Aisin 6 speed tranny and rated 385/850 ft lbs with urea. I'm interested in how it fairs.

Basically I would rather have the Duramax/Allison in either of the other two trucks.

All being said, if I were buying a diesel truck tomrrow it would be the Duramax. This is coming from a guy with an Ecoboost right now and two Cummins trucks before.

I am interested to see how the pumped up 13 Cummins compares though.

Don't think I'll be doing any 19,000lb towing but interesting tests nonetheless. I actually think the Denali with the right wheel/tire combo is a nice looking pickup. I do hate the idea of buying GM at the tail end of the chassis cycle though. It would blow to have a 13 if they really do make major changes in 14.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Until these MFGs get their head out of their arse and realize that a pickup is just that... a pickup.... I will recomend none of them. These 60k price tags for a well equipped rig is REDICULOUS..... I will continue to drive old out dated junk that gets better MPGs than any of these new rigs and be happy. Touch screen this, nav that, blah blah blah... Bottom line is its WAY too much cash for such little reward!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Until these MFGs get their head out of their arse and realize that a pickup is just that... a pickup.... I will recomend none of them. These 60k price tags for a well equipped rig is REDICULOUS..... I will continue to drive old out dated junk that gets better MPGs than any of these new rigs and be happy. Touch screen this, nav that, blah blah blah... Bottom line is its WAY too much cash for such little reward

![/QUOTWhat you are saying is true and I did pay a lot for my dmax in o6, but I will have it for a long time and in the end it will be worth it. It doesnt have all the hi fi wi fi bluetooth nav stuff, but I love it nonetheless. If you are going to buy a 60k truck every two or three years, then thats a different story. I hated spending that much money then and not looking forward to doing it any time soon.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I've got a 2012 3500HD Duramax/Allison GMC Sierra. With 9000 miles on the odometer thus far, the only things that bug me a little (and only a little) are the IFS a-arms sitting up against the bump stops (a bit jarring on forest service roads) and bass response of the BOSE stereo leaves a bit to desire.

Everything else is fine. I've had a lot of compliments on both the exterior and interior. Tows like it means it too. Really likes 70+ mph on the freeway and having a little weight in the back softens up the ride of the heavy duty suspension. Topping off the DEF is not really that big of deal either. Running boards do a pretty good job of hiding the DEF tank as well.

With my trade-in and a few rebates, my truck was $39,xxx (very well equipped, 10 miles on the odometer, just didn't have the nav pkg). I knew I needed it when they gave it to me for $500 under invoice.

(the pic below is w/ my rock crawler in the trailer + a lot of weight in spare parts/40" spare tire/wheel,etc, several full fuel cans and no air bags on the truck's rear end)

IMG_0109.jpg

Terry

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I've got a 2012 3500HD Duramax/Allison GMC Sierra. With 9000 miles on the odometer thus far, the only things that bug me a little (and only a little) are the IFS a-arms sitting up against the bump stops (a bit jarring on forest service roads) and bass response of the BOSE stereo leaves a bit to desire.

Everything else is fine. I've had a lot of compliments on both the exterior and interior. Tows like it means it too. Really likes 70+ mph on the freeway and having a little weight in the back softens up the ride of the heavy duty suspension. Topping off the DEF is not really that big of deal either. Running boards do a pretty good job of hiding the DEF tank as well.

With my trade-in and a few rebates, my truck was $39,xxx (very well equipped, 10 miles on the odometer, just didn't have the nav pkg). I knew I needed it when they gave it to me for $500 under invoice.

(the pic below is w/ my rock crawler in the trailer + a lot of weight in spare parts/40" spare tire/wheel,etc, several full fuel cans and no air bags on the truck's rear end)

IMG_0109.jpg

Terry

Nice truck. I do like the looks of the chevy as well. It is not like the interior an dash are bad in the GM's they are just not as flashy as the other two. I would say the GM has a more elegant and refined interior and the other two are more flashy and updated.

I also agree that $60,000 is too much. Who can justify a new one every few years. My 06 duramax crew I bought used and yes it has bluetooth, touch screen and sub woofers. Of course I added those comforts.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I do hate the idea of buying GM at the tail end of the chassis cycle though. It would blow to have a 13 if they really do make major changes in 14.

It will be interesting to see if they do any powertrain changes right away for 2014, the new chassis, brakes, etc. that they updated a few years ago (2011 first model year I think?) made a big difference IMO. If I remember correctly last time, GM bolted the new cab on the old HD chassis and made the EPA changes required (DPF) for the new trucks. I am guessing that there will be no frame/chassis changes for the HDs, but there may be motor/tranny updates.

There are always rumors of the 7.0 "Ultramax" diesel motor, but I think that GM will come out with that the same time as Yamaha's much rumored factory turbo snowmobile.

T
Jan 17, 2012
Montana
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. I had a 2010 Ram 3500 Cummins......loved it. Bought a 2011 F350.......love it to. I must admit that I too do not like the IFS of the GM;s, but to each their own. What I do not like about the GM's is how low they look compared to the others. The DEF tank and low slung frame rails....they just don't do it for me. Nice trucks however.

I average right at 19 MPG empty (hand calculated) with my 2011 F350. Not bad. Loaded it pulls like a dream just like any of the other brands would. Its a great time to be a HD truck owner.....all 3 are just awesome.

IMG_4207.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i had an 09 chevy 2500 gasser. nice enough truck and pulled my rzr and a 3500 lb car just fine. when i decided i need a diesel i went back and forth. growing up my dad always had powerstrokes but he has a 2006 dmax and i LOVE that truck. the rear seat leg room in the ford is MUCH better than the chevy, and i take passengers fairly frequently traveling to races. in the end i couldnt get over the gov't bailouts that GM had to have. IMO Ford is the quintessential American company and i felt better about supporting that.

my truck is a 2010 6.4 and i like it bc they make more power than the 6.7, but mileage is not the best. i will def be upgrading to the 6.7 in 2-3 years.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA

Terry

Haha, "with my trade in?"
So how much did the truck cost you? (Not that it's any of my business, but quoting a cost that includes the value of a trade in included is not accurate.)

I paid $30k for my last truck, but I should start saying I paid $13k since I sold my old truck for $17k!!

B
Dec 15, 2010
ND
im a ford guy as well but haven't put many miles on a new 6.7 but we have a 2011 6.6 lml dmax at the farm which is chipped and deleted and that thing is nutz!!!!!! haven't seen anything with more power and the allison really compliments the chip well. So with that being said if you are going to chip and delete the emission crap go with the Denali.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's so interesting to see all the biased opinions.

Before I spew more crap for you I will say this...Drive them and check them out first hand to see what you like. You will find better deals with one particular brand for a reason. Look in non-biased places like Edmunds and other comparisons to see how they REALLY ran.

Ok, now for the crap. I have a 2011 Denali and I love it. I can tow my setup up and down the Colorado passes like there were never there. I love the caddy leather seats and the exhaust brake that can be turned off! (that has to have an effect on fuel mileage). I do wish the rear cab was slightly larger (but not mega cab size). The dash is a little plastic-e but you get over it quick. I love the looks of the Denali. The DEF is not a big deal. No problems for me and it is cheap ($10 for 3,000 miles).

Hands down, I pick the GM then the Ford. Ford finally got a winner in their diesel. Nice 2nd place to the Duramax! ;)

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I always thought dodge had the worst cheapest looking interiors. The cummins always seemed like a good motor. Not so sure about their trannies.

This was pretty deluxe for Dodge in 08. Still ugly.
129_0803_06_z+2008_dodge_ram_2500_laramie+interior.jpg

The 2013 puts them in the hunt for possibly the niciest interior out there. The longhorn is really sweet. I would call dodge the most improved.

2013-Dodge-Ram-HD-Dually-Laramie-Longhorn-Interior.jpg

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If that's the case I guess I gotta move the Ferd F-Teenthousand thread too... lol

Back to trucks.. Ford has done a WAY better job with the DEF system.... the GM system has been plagued with problems, especially in cold weather. If you want to form your own opinion on it just have a look at DEF fill (gotta open the hood and try to balance a 20lb jug right at the back of the hood opening and pour into a small opening thats impossible to reach) or the location of the tank, hanging down several inches below the frame rail.... pretty common for people to damage the tanks coming from my contacts at the stealership. The Ford isn't perfect but I feel they have at least put some thought into it.

Want my take on the Dodge too? :face-icon-small-hap

Not sure what you mean by WAY better job. The GM system is under the hood. Considering you only have to fill it every 5,000-7,000 miles it is really not a big deal. Get a funnel out, and do it at every oil change and you'll be fine. GM had some issues when the DEF first came out, but there have not been any since the last update. If you are buying a 2012+ (actually 2011.5) truck, it is a non issue. The tank hangs down lower than I'd prefer, but it is not horrible. Put side-steps on the truck and it is a moot point. With the GM if for some reason you run out of DEF, you can still drive the truck in limp mode. With Ford you are stuck there. Honestly there is no reason to run out, both vehicles give you a warning soon enough to get more fluid in. DEF does get old/bad. So do not buy it until you need it. Check the label to see if you can see a date, buy the newest you can.

You get a touch screen with Navigation on the GMC. The regular radio is basic but does a great job and sounds great. Anything above a work truck will have a USB port to which you can use your iPod/MP3 player and pull up, playlist, song, artist, info, etc on the screen and control it through the radio's head unit. Honestly unless you are a guy that needs to justify getting the Navigation unit to impress your friends, save the money and get the standard radio with Bose upgrade. If you have an iPhone or similar the navigation on it is probably better than any manufactures system. Also with GM you can get turn by turn directions through the Onstar system. It work VERY well. I have played with it trying to trick/confuse it, and I wasn't able to do it. Downtown Denver, on some other roads, it works great. Easy re-route if I got of course, repeat of directions was easy. You push the Onstar button, speak to a REAL LIVE PERSON (in the U.S.A!) and tell them where you need to go. You can tell them you need to avoid certain roads, toll roads, etc. They will customize the route for you, while you drive. Then they will send it to the vehicle through Onstar.

Onstar also allows you to remotely start your vehicle from anywhere you get cell service or wireless through your smartphone (iPhone and Droid, Windows coming soon). This is an awesome feature. Remote start key-phobs only reach out about 150 feet. With the Onstar app you can be 10-15 minute out from your truck snowmobilling and start the truck on the way back after a long day of riding. Truck will warm up, turning on the heater, heated seats and defrost. Get to the truck, drive on/into the trailer, strip off the wet jackets, get into the warm truck and drive away.
:yo:

The Allison is what makes the Durmax so great. Go and drive one to see what I mean. Make sure you use the tow/haul mode to see how it takes a downshift, to control a load, slow you down and maintain speed. The built in brake controller, Allison, sway control, engine ECU and exhaust brake all communicate and work together to slow down and control a load. Works seamlessly.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
People keep throwing Dodge into the mix and I know the original post said he was looking at Ford and GM. Drive them both and you will find a winner. Both have exhaust brakes which are awesome pulling a big trailer. I can't remember if both Dodge and Ford exhaust brakes are on all the time but that would drive me nuts. I like the fact that you can easily turn it off and on in the GM. It seems to me that would effect fuel mileage when driving down hills empty.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Have a look at the injector pulse width on your scan tool when coasting with the exhaust brake on... Under most conditions the injectors or not even adding fuel, so no effect on fuel economy with the exhaust brake on.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Have a look at the injector pulse width on your scan tool when coasting with the exhaust brake on... Under most conditions the injectors or not even adding fuel, so no effect on fuel economy with the exhaust brake on.

Agreed. But when the exhaust brake is slowing you down enough that you have to press the accelerator to move at the speed you want, it is taking more fuel.

Premium Features